Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joining UT3

Heya all,

I have been an ut2k3/ut2k4 player for a long time. I played lotsa instagib ictf and ibr.

I am wondering how the current instagib community is? I mean if i look at ut2k4 its almost dead, so I was wondering is the UT3 community in instagib big? Also what are the huge difference's between ut2k4 and ut3 in instagib ictf ng/lg?

My pc is getting quite old so I also wonder if it could run the game a bit smoothly. I dont have to run the game at best offcourse, as long as it dont shocks or freezes (dont mind either to force models if thats possible ). This is my current pc:

Windows XP SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 3ghz
    512 mb ram
    Radeon 9800

I thank you very much for your time and perhaps we meet once ingame

I've never seen more than one Instagib server online, but I could be horribly wrong, so ignore this post please

Comment

I'm afraid your amount of RAM and your graphics card make it a small problem
      to run this game fluently. I've never played any instagib matches so far so I can't
      help you compare the two versions, GL dude!

Comment

I think there isn't much of a public instagib scene indeed, except maybe for CTF (where I barely find active servers that aren't instagib, here in Europe). There's quite a tournament scene for instagib though, with games being played actively. So I guess you will find your games

Your computer does look mighty old for running UT3 The engine scales rather well with older hardware, but at the cost of looks. Certainly you'll have to upgrade your RAM to at least a Gigabyte for running UT3 smoothly and for faster loading times, but a slow-ish single core processor and a rather old graphics card don't speak for higher settings than the bare minimum at all. You are above minimum settings though, so it will run, somehow. Many competitive players play with settings turned way down anyway though, dunno if that'd be similar with you, if so you wouldn't miss a thing

Comment

But those players have decent frames, most of em have pc's that can play the game on medium or high details with ease, but because they want more fps they're playing on minimum settings. I honestly don't know if his pc gets a decent fps!

Comment

Yeah, iCTF is much more active on CB and in pickups than on pubs. Your system could be an issue, then again the (semi-) competitive guys either play custom maps that are less demanding than the stock ones or fps-versions of the stock maps, as far as I can see.

I'm no hardware expert though, hard to tell if your rig is enough for iCTF only. :s

Comment

Download the beta demo?

insta is popular enough on CB. Maybe you could try a different gametype?

Comment

If ibr is instagib Bombing Run then you'll be a little disappointed. There is no Bombing Run (except maybe made by the community).

Comment

If you search in the CTF gametype 90% is insta. Thing is, the part that shows mutators in server browser is bugged and doesn't show instagib when it's running. So you have to either check the name or just guess.

Comment

Can't believe no one's mentioned this... there's a lot of iG servers that don't run any ZP code, so they can be a bear to play on with any sort of ping differential. =X Anyway, your best bet is to try and find some iCTF pugs on irc.gameradius.org

Comment

I often finds at least 1 active iGib server. It is in Europe.
                      jolt.co.uk #3 insta (CTF) 78.33.17.18:7330
                      Grow up gaming ICTF 77.74.196.239:8899

The servers I mostely play iGib on

Comment

Thanks for all the reaction =)

I think I can conclude then that the ig community in ut3 aint bigger then it is in ut2k4 =(
                        I am still dreaming of the days when ut2k3 came out and their where a lot of ig players. I know their is no bombing run in UT3, truly a shame but the community in ut2k4 was dead anyway in that gametype.

I gonna download the demo to see if the game runs smooth on my pc, dont mind much about the graphics, as long as I can aim normal. I heard RAM aint very expencive so i could easily upgrade that ill assume, but then is the question where can I buy this old RAM =)

Comment

online.

and you will have to tweak your ini's hardcore to get halfway decent framerates on that card.

Comment

I have N 6800
                            1500 gb ram
                            XP
                            AMD 2.2 GHZ.
                            It runs smothly on the lowest. Somtimes I had lagging when it is many on the server, but I do not know if it was FPS lagg or Ping. I also used UT3 Tweaker and set it on best performence. 1-1 give me the best aim

Comment

Working...
                            X