points for healing a vehicle with an ally in it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
    You should also get some points for damage to the enemy core while you are guarding the enemy prime with an orb.
    You do get points currently for guarding any node with the orb. You have to keep the link between you and the node, but as long as you keep that link your point count will go up every so many seconds (I think around 6 seconds)

Comment

I like _most_ of rhirid's suggestions, but (as always :P) I have to disagree with some.

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
      Stats need to reward every aspect of what the perfect gentleman player does
      That's a bit over the top - after all you're playing a computer game, you won't find perfect gentlemen here and if you want to be one you're doing it a little bit wrong. I don't like and encourage spawnkilling and similar stuff either, but thing like this:

Lastly if you are in a base, or at a node that is not linked to an unlocked node, you get no points for fragging an opponent there.
      would certainly take the fun out of the game to a certain extend. As I said, spawnkilling is lame, but when I'm attacking the enemy prime on let's say Torlan and the middle behind me gets taken by the enemy team, I honestly say that I'm not gentleman enough to stop any firing and enter "suicide" in console (or to turn around to hover back to the middle, ready to get a HS from behind - dunno what you as a gentleman prefer :P)... I kill the remaining people there and (unless I'm 100% sure that nobody would kill me from behind) if I'm in fragging mood, I let the freshly spawned opponents take some weapons at a locker to have some DM action until they get me down. Distracting them like that is a valid tactic and is actually quite effective, dunno why you wouldn't want to reward that with score... unless you're on the wrong side of my Shock Rifle. :P

Damaging 1000 points of locked, unoccupied enemy a vehichles loses you a point. So you can do it tactically, it's not overly painful, but it's a general disincentive to just attack locked vehichles unthinkingly.
      If someone does that "unthinkingly", it's most certainly a noob that destroys the vehicles completely, which makes them spawn after a few seconds again without considerable damage to the enemy team's logistics. :P That vehicle destroying noob already damages his team by wasting time at the enemy base/locked node, there's no need to punish it with a loss of points as well.

Comment

What if after linking a vehicle you do more damage with the linkgun or say the next 10 seconds or something. This would just keep things interesting. Its like backward uber charge from TF2

Comment

yeah i agree here...healing nodes and building nodes gives you points...why not friendly vehicles???

Comment

I think a big bonus number of points should be given to the team winning. Maybe that will make the players play better as a team instead of just gathering points around.

Comment

"A Perfect gentleman"

That's just my general direction. If we'd reward people for playing a very aggressive, selfish game, the outcome of any points tweaking would be different - and the whole game would be very different. That's just my personal preference of the team I'd like to play with, and the prime principle that I personally think that would be important when tweaking. I wouldn't expect everybody to agree!

Read again!

a node that is not linked to an unlocked node,
              So if a node is locked, you still get points there, but if the node is locked, and the node next to it is also locked, then it becomes a "safe" area. Well you can still frag, distract, and do whatever. It just won't generate points.

As for penalising points - actually if it's a Levi there should be no penalty - once it's there it should be attacked. But I still like the idea of penalties for annoying behaviour.

As for complexity as mentioned by others- the game is massively deep and strategic, and the scoring has to be complex to match the level of strategic depth. If you make simple, easy to understand scoring rules, people just play according to those simple rules i.e. play for points, and this takes away all the depth from the game, and is what's happening right now.

If the rules are complicated, then it's far less clear cut what is the best thing to do to score highly - and you just take the opportunities presented to you i.e. play the game as it's meant to be played. The rules need to be refined so that they get to a point of complexity where you can't play for points, but when you play "well" you get high scores. That's the whole point!

And obviously my scoring rules would mean I would score highly because that's my play style (or what I'd like to think it is perhaps!) - Others with different play styles certainly would disagree and find other elements valuable.

So there must be other ideas out there!

Comment

Destroying vehicles is part of the game and it is annoying to the team whose vehicles are being attacked. But I don't think it warrants a loss of points. However, I wouldn't mind seeing people lose points for damaging vehicles until they have less than 5% of the their HP remaining but not finishing them off. It's a valid tactic yes, but I find it to be one of the most annoying things that a player can do.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                  As I understand it we need the points to represent good playing habits to encourage players to do the right things. If they don't understand what they get points for and what they don't, then it won't have any effect on how people play. The people already doing the right things don't need to be reassured by points that what they're doing is right. They already know.
                  they won't understand the points while playing it the first times. most people don't understand how points are given the first time they play ons/war or vctf.
                  but on vctf playing a sitting goliath or a spawnraping manta can give you the top scores. :s
                  it's not about reassuring people that are already doing the right things, i think it's about bringing people that ain't doing the right things to do them.

spawnkillers shouldn't be able to end a game with top score. nevah nevah ! :P

Comment

Originally posted by SpineShanK View Post
                    spawnkillers shouldn't be able to end a game with top score. nevah nevah ! :P
                    Word

The rules need to be refined so that they get to a point of complexity where you can't play for points, but when you play "well" you get high scores. That's the whole point!
                    Well put sir.

As for penalising points - actually if it's a Levi there should be no penalty - once it's there it should be attacked. But I still like the idea of penalties for annoying behaviour.
                    I don't understand the need for a distinction. The Levi's just another tool in the game. If it's alright to damage the Levi, then it should be alright to damage any unmanned vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                    X