Wall dodging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
    The key is timing. Whatever momentum you had when you wall-dodged is the momentum you'll keep, so if you do it too late, you'll just fall back down because you'll wall-dodge with only lateral, or even downward momentum. If you wall-dodge immediately after a double-jump, you'll keep the double-jump's upward momentum, and go further upwards. It's not usually a huge boost, but it can be enough.
    ^^^ What he said!

The best way to get a feel for this effect is to try falling off a cliff and then wall dodging off of it. You'll notice that the dodge barely nudges you away from the cliff. Like 3Legged said, this is very different to how things worked in UT2003/UT2004 if you remember those.

Comment

That is exactly what bothers me the most about the UT3 movement. The walldodge loses 50% of its potential because of this momentum principle. In UT2003 it was very usefull because of the lower gravity and the dodge jump, so with a bit training you could pull off great "boost-jumps". In UT2004 however it was also very usefull because you could fall down falls and dodge from them in the right moment to get to certain areas, enter a combat with style or save you health when falling down from greater heights. I hoped UT3 will combine the best of the 2k3 and 2k4 walldodge by applying the momentum principle only when going up and have a horizontal walldodge as minimum. But instead UT3 kinda did the opposite and combined the bad parts of each. I really hope this will be "fixed" (I know, it's not broken but i see no downside here) but since I see only few people complaining about this, I have low hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Venator View Post
        That is exactly what bothers me the most about the UT3 movement. The walldodge loses 50% of its potential because of this momentum principle. In UT2003 it was very usefull because of the lower gravity and the dodge jump, so with a bit training you could pull off great "boost-jumps". In UT2004 however it was also very usefull because you could fall down falls and dodge from them in the right moment to get to certain areas, enter a combat with style or save you health when falling down from greater heights. I hoped UT3 will combine the best of the 2k3 and 2k4 walldodge by applying the momentum principle only when going up and have a horizontal walldodge as minimum. But instead UT3 kinda did the opposite and combined the bad parts of each. I really hope this will be "fixed" (I know, it's not broken but i see no downside here) but since I see only few people complaining about this, I have low hopes.
        That's because casual players didn't know or didn't have the skills needed to pull those off, and Epic was obviously going for the casual players in UT3. Sad, but understandable.

Comment

lots off people cant pull off wall-dodges off in UT3 with out practise. there are loads of walldoge options in UT3 that give you an advantage over players who dont know how to do them.

i like UT3 dodges, its still a UT style but it feels and looks more realistic

Comment

Working...
          X