Wall dodging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall dodging

I tried pulling off some of those insane stunts we've seen recently, and while I consistently find routes in Sandstorm that make creative use of jump boots, I have a hard time pulling off even the simplest wall dodges. There seems to be something fundamental I'm doing wrong.

So for example, the UDamage in Deck, something many people must know (the one where you jump from the two health packs). So I come, have forward pressed, jump, double jump at the peak of the first jump, then wall dodge at the peak of that double jump towards the UDamage; is that correct? Do I need any other keys pressed, do I crouch some time?

I also tried getting up to the rocket launcher and flak cannon in CarbonFire, I've seen people pull that off but again, I seem to lack some crucial last centimeters when it comes to height...

What I did manage was hammer jumps and hammer wall dodges at those same places, I even tried (similar to Q3's plasma thing) to shoot the wall with the rocket launcher just after the wall dodge and got up like that as well, so while I do suck I don't totally do so and I think I could learn it , but there seems to be something I fail to do right

keep spressing jump while doing the wall dodge. if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by haslo View Post
      So for example, the UDamage in Deck, something many people must know (the one where you jump from the two health packs). So I come, have forward pressed, jump, double jump at the peak of the first jump, then wall dodge at the peak of that double jump towards the UDamage; is that correct? Do I need any other keys pressed, do I crouch some time?
      You are trying to do wall dodging like in 2k4, but it works a bit different now. You need to wall dodge when you have the most upwards speed. At the peak of the double jump you have no up speed, so you have to wall dodge just after the second jump to get anywhere.
      Originally posted by woooo View Post
      keep spressing jump while doing the wall dodge. if you know what I mean.
      Huh?

Comment

and I always hold forward not sure if that does anything, all I know is I always make that jump

Comment

Originally posted by 3leggedFreak View Post
          You are trying to do wall dodging like in 2k4, but it works a bit different now. You need to wall dodge when you have the most upwards speed. At the peak of the double jump you have no up speed, so you have to wall dodge just after the second jump to get anywhere.

Huh?
          at the same time you're dodging of the wall press jump aswell like you're trying to do a wall dodge jump in 2k4.

Comment

the jump for the u-damage on deck is'nt the easies one. i managed to do it after 10 times. most people get the u-damage by jumping of the platform.

try practising your jumps on reflections.look at this topic i made.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...t=wall+dodging

took me hours but i can do them all THX to the good feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by woooo View Post
              at the same time you're dodging of the wall press jump aswell like you're trying to do a wall dodge jump in 2k4.
              hmm that has no effect at all. :/

Comment

thats what I do and I do it easy (no brag)

Comment

Originally posted by 3leggedFreak View Post
                  hmm that has no effect at all. :/
                  Only works with jumpboots enabled.

Comment

This should help understand it more, when you're doing this jump you're not dodging down you're dodging up, think of the keys that will enable this action, mo extra keys than movement and jump, no more movement keys than the direction you are dodging to and the forward key.

Comment

I practiced for the last half hour now, and wee, I can do the UDamage one and the ones in CarbonFire pretty consistently now

I found that pushing jump again after the double jump, after or while dodging, indeed has no effect, apart from putting knots in my fingers (but it's good at that). But it's really important to dodge right after the double jump, making the character make a "hu-huha" kind of sound in total.

I guess the wall dodge maintains the relative vertical momentum from before the wall dodge, but adds speed thus giving you more total upward movement (and consequently, height) if you do it right after the double jump. That's a programmer's point of view, so don't worry if you find this an overly complex way to explain a simple matter, it probably is

So you're right in that I have to dodge up and not down, but it's not the jump key that does that, but the moment of the wall dodge and what I was doing wrong was, I always wall dodged way too late.

@Teddek, thanks for the link I've seen that thread before, it was one of the ones that persuaded me that trying to learn those tricks is a good thing

Comment

So, u have to double jump, and not just single jump+dodge then ? aha !

Comment

Hi.

I'm also able to do wall dodges now, but I never seem to manage to go upwards while doing the wall dodge. I always stay vertical or go back down to the ground. How do I get to get a bit higher with the wall dodge?

Comment

Originally posted by Belgian General View Post
                            Hi.

I'm also able to do wall dodges now, but I never seem to manage to go upwards while doing the wall dodge. I always stay vertical or go back down to the ground. How do I get to get a bit higher with the wall dodge?
                            The key is timing. Whatever momentum you had when you wall-dodged is the momentum you'll keep, so if you do it too late, you'll just fall back down because you'll wall-dodge with only lateral, or even downward momentum. If you wall-dodge immediately after a double-jump, you'll keep the double-jump's upward momentum, and go further upwards. It's not usually a huge boost, but it can be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgian General View Post
                              Hi.

Maintaining your height while dodging horizontally is about the best you can hope for. There is a little bit of elevation gain, but don't expect too much from it. Crossing the bio pit on Deck by wall-dodging off of the shield belt pedestal or wall-dodging from the sniper rifle platform to the sniper rifle ammo on Defiance is pretty much the limit of what you can do with a regular double-jump + wall-dodge, so if you can do those then you're good to go!

However, you could mix it up by doing an impact hammer wall-dodge, wall-dodging off of a lift jump, or wall-dodging and then using the jump boots at the apex of the dodge. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X