What the heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck?

I started downloading custom maps this week. I downloaded about 3 of them right now. But there's something I don't understand. Since I downLOAD it, the files are somewhere on my PC right? But why can't I play these maps in Instant Action?? It should be possible, IMO. I'd like to practice in them.

For if you'd want to know, I d/lled Altas City, Dreamus RC4 and another map which name I forgot. It was a very small, squared VCTFmap with a big hole in the middle with lots of scorpions.

errm, are you sure you put them in your UT folder? UT3 wont search your whole computer for maps....they have't to be in the correct folder in order to show up

Comment

You need to paste those maps in /My Documents/My Games/Unreal Tournament 3/UTGame/Published/Custom Maps. Easy.

Thanks man.

No problem.

Comment

First 2 posts don't know what they're talking about.

When you download a map or mutator online, you actually download the server's cache file. IT's been like this for UT2004, and afaik UT99 as well. I don't know why Epic does this, but it's very annoying and very stupid.

So no, you can't play them. They're in a cache, and you need to wait until someone makes a converter to convert the cache files to maps that you can run.

Comment

Create this path and put them here and it will work fine. UT3 is a mess, what can I tell ya! Put them here: C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Comment

Originally posted by DeathmooN View Post

So no, you can't play them. They're in a cache, and you need to wait until someone makes a converter to convert the cache files to maps that you can run.
            the cache file contains the names of the files.. moving the files is as easy as renaming the files in the cache directory to what the cache.ini (i think it is) says the names are.. if they are maps, move em to the custom maps directory and be done.. a cache convertor is **** nice and easy though..

Comment

Originally posted by DeathmooN View Post
              First 2 posts don't know what they're talking about.
              When a guy only says he started downloading maps, first reaction is going to be downloaded from a website, not a server
              And since the OP didn't specify such, the posts you're referring to are valid

Comment

Really because I would agree with what he says, i would give the OP more credibility than that... almost every custom content UT3 site contains instructions on where to put custom content on your comp. Usually when people have this problem, ever since UT99 its because people want to play in game downloaded files off line ... and THUS the cashed system confuses people because they cant search for the file they just downloaded on their computer when they obviously just did. I had the exact same problem in 2k3. I would more likely bank on the fact that hes having trouble with in game downloads than anything online, these days people aren't that ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdfireTrilogy View Post
                  these days people aren't that ignorant.
                  Oh, you'd be surprised.

Comment

Xandros I second that...

Comment

I third that hahaha

you know when you go into a toll booth and you have that automatic coin basket you have to throw your change in to pay the toll? Just today I saw someone try to throw a dollar bill in it and they couldnt figure out why it wouldnt take it. The cruel irony is they were driving about an $80,000 Cadillac

WTF

Comment

Originally posted by obZen View Post
                        I third that hahaha

you know when you go into a toll booth and you have that automatic coin basket you have to throw your change in to pay the toll? Just today I saw someone try to throw a dollar bill in it and they couldnt figure out why it wouldnt take it. The cruel irony is they were driving about an $80,000 Cadillac

WTF
                        ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! oh man i wish i could of seen that...lol now thats funny. But yeah i agree with yall...i fourth that!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X