Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

MASSIVE SCREENSHOTS! (By Qx9)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MASSIVE SCREENSHOTS! (By Qx9)

For folks who like to take Super Hi-Rez screenshots.

Be advised, Shadow Dancer has the best way of taking screenshots. In theroy, my way will get you a higher window resolution, and then allow you to apply Shadow Dancer's method of taking screenshots, for the ultimate scale in image history! You may want to resort to his comments first, before you read my dissertation.

Many people have 19" monitors (native 1280x1024 resolution) and can use the command "tiledshot to double that to 2560x2048 for screenshots. If you have a 24" monitor (1920x1200), you may take shots up to 3840x2400.

Let's go higher than a 24" monitor and really max out our screenshots!!!

To take Super Hi-Rez shots, Open the game and make sure you're in "windowed" mode on the main setting menu. This is key to the process!

Now select a map and walk around to the position you want to take a screenshot. Make sure you are in the right spot, because when you adjust your resolution very high, it will be hard to move around and jerky!

Next, perform these steps: Hide your weapon from the settings menu under weapons or type in the command console: togglescreenshotmode 1

Console commands: (just as you see listed here) The commands are: showhud, God, and Fly. There are many more commands, but these are good for screenshots.

Type: showhud (ENTER). This removes the hud.

Type: God (ENTER) (You can't be fragged by bots)

Type: FLY (ENTER) (You can fly around your map)

Next, while looking at your scene or subject you want to capture, type in the command console:

setres 3840x2400x32 (just like you see here with a space between setres and 3840x2400x32) and hit ENTER. (Note: Using setres command in fullscreen will do nothing!)

Your "windowed" screen will change resolution to 3840x2400 (32bit color).

Now take a regular screenshot with the F9 key or even tiled shot to double the resolution. If you enter command tiledshot in the command console, you will get double the 3840x2400 resolution, or 7680x4800. Note: At 3840x2400, you may not see the command line because the window is too big. Have faith and type your commands slowly and take care because you can't see what you're typing!

This is where Shadow Dancers comments come in. If you now use command tiledshot 8, you would actually get an image that is 30720x19200, or 8 times as large as 3840x2400. That's ridiculous isn't it! Assuming your PC can handle the processing of the image or even the image size.

I have a 7950GX2 with 1gb ram on the card...pretty nice card although older and not up to par with the 8800GT and above. I can't setres above 3840x2400 without freezing up. Maybe you can with an 8800 series graphics card...I don't know. Any GPU below a 7950GX2 may freeze at 3840x2400, although I'm not positive about this either.

I wouldn't post the huge shot you make, so please resize them to a more manageable size. The higher the initial resolution is, the higher quality the resized image will be. That's why we're taking Super Hi-Rez shots anyway...to resize. One more reason would be to print the screenshot at sizes above 8x10 at 300DPI.

Last thing: When done taking screenshots, go to the console and setres to something smaller, like setres 1024x768x32 or even setres 640x480x32. That will make it easier to exit the game! Otherwise, the mouse moves too slowly (at 3840x2400x32) and it's hard to mouseover the exit button to leave the game!

I've attached a download link for a screenshot at 7680x4800, which I used setres 3840x2400x32 and the command tiledshot. This original pic is 105MB! If I had used tiledshot 8, the image would be over 30,000px in width and would need to be zipped in two parts most likely!!

I've actually attached the huge image (105MB image) after resizing it to 1024 height (1638x1024). Shadow Dancer mentions that just a regular tiledshot 8 at 1600x1200 is big enough. Agreed! I took a (fullscreen mode) shot with my 1280x1024 resolution monitor using tiledshot 8 and got an image that was 10240x8192! Is that big enough or what!

I hope this is useful. Take care and share this information!!

Here's the shot resized to 1638x1024:
    HERE

Couple GOW shots, originally over 15,000px.

[shot]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6273/qsgow1eb9.jpg[/shot] and [shot]http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4544/qsgow2eq4.jpg[/shot]

- Qx9

webtrance@cox.net

Flak: Sticky please!!!

Comment

You can assign dimensions to the tiledshot command, as well. "tiledshot 8x8" at a resolution of 1600x1200, just in itself will get you gigantic shots. Also, "togglescreenshotmode 1" will eliminate both the HUD and the weapon, and Ghost will allow you to pass through solid objects, allowing you to hide from the bots within static mehses and let them do their thing while you wait for cool moments. Then pause it and type "playersonly" to pause everything but you, so that you can position yourself without disturbing anything and get just the right angle.

I've got a few shots at 12800x9600 (351 MB) just by upping the tiledshot dimensions. That's the limit of about what my machine will allow me to try and view. Not enough RAM...
      In theory, you could do "setres 7680x4800x32|tiledshot 128x128" and get an unspeakably enormous shot that you'd probably need a Pixar farm to put together, but damn it'd look nice...

Comment

Man, I do things the hard way!!

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
        You can assign dimensions to the tiledshot command, as well. "tiledshot 8x8" at a resolution of 1600x1200, just in itself will get you gigantic shots. Also, "togglescreenshotmode 1" ...
        Outstanding information! ...And much easier than my way actually. Matter of fact...let's just forget what I said and go with tiledshot 8x8 for all shots...or even 10x10, from fullscreen mode no less! Easier, smarter, and makes me look stupid! But that's cool, since I drew out the people who know screenshots!

Here you go guys, listen to Shadow Dancer, he has the pulse on making the best screenshots ever!

- Q

Comment

higher rez will not give higher quality when resized.

Comment

I beg to differ:

Originally taken at 1024x768|tiledshot 5x5, giving a resolution of 5120x3840; then resized down to 1024x768:
            http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3...ssourcevd5.jpg

Regular shot taken at 1024x768:
            http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4...inalresnh6.jpg

Note the aliasing, most prominently, as well as the tree and statue in the background, and the over-all blurriness.

I tend to use 4x4 or 5x5 for decently-large-sized shots, but if you've got a beefier rig you can push it higher.

Originally posted by Qx9 View Post
            Outstanding information! ...And much easier than my way actually. Matter of fact...let's just forget what I said and go with tiledshot 8x8 for all shots...or even 10x10, from fullscreen mode no less! Easier, smarter, and makes me look stupid! But that's cool, since I drew out the people who know screenshots!

Here you go guys, listen to Shadow Dancer, he has the pulse on making the best screenshots ever!

- Q
            Happy to help.
            First time I found out I could put dimensions on tiledshot, I treated it like a resolution setting. Spent all day waiting for it to try and finish 1600x1200|tiledshot 1280x1024... Needless to say it never got there...

Comment

Nice to see you around QX9. Will we be seeing some new wallpapers from you?

Comment

I'm not sure about that.

Originally posted by soccerballtux View Post
                higher rez will not give higher quality when resized.
                Mmmm...I'm not too sure about that. Attached same scene, one shot at 1280x1024 and one resized to 1280x1024 that was originally 10240x8192. Tiledshot 8 was used. There's clear improvement in contrast, texture detail, reduced jaggies, etc. Photoshop was used to resize the larger image to 1280x1024. No other processing done.

Besides, to print the 1280x1024 shot at 300dpi means you'd have to scale it to 5333x4267, which will distort the image. Otherwise, you have to print the 1280x1024 at 4x3" (300dpi) for professional quality. You can however, print the larger image with no distortion or pixelation and print it at 34x27". So there's a difference.

Original 1280x1024
                HERE

Original 10240x8192 (resized to 1280x1024)
                HERE

EDIT: Open these up in two windows and click back and forth. Big difference to me anyway!

- Q

Comment

I beg to differ:...
                  Beat me to it SD! lol

Comment

Hey Flak...

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                    Nice to see you around QX9. Will we be seeing some new wallpapers from you?
                    I'm still around...still learning things everyday...like how to take screenshots the easy(er) way. lol I haven't done any wallpapers lately, probably a year or so. I'm not sure what type walls to do these days...been trying to map and making screenshots mostly. I need feedback on my DM-OuterDeck map, which is in beta. I realize I need to work on it too...add some z axis and maybe open the doors in the map, add a few rooms, etc. It's just hard to get detailed feedback on maps...ya know!

- Q

Comment

12800x9600 shot of Shangri La; for fun.

http://files.filefront.com/Highres+S.../fileinfo.html

Comment

And the winner is...

I believe I now hold the record for largest screenshot ever. Using my method to setres to 3840x2400 and Shadow Dancer's tiledshot 8x8, I was able to achieve a screeshot that was massive!

Here are the details:

Image size: 30720x19200, 1.65GB

Time to snap pic at 3840x2400x32, command tiledshot 8: 7 min

Time to open in Irfanview: Under 60 sec

Time to open in PhotoShop CS3: over 2 min

Time to merge layers after adding a simple Hue/Sat layer: 3 min

Time to resize to 1920x1200: Under 60 sec

So you can take the ultimate in screenshots and I'm talking crazy resolutions here! Here's the final resized image of DM-Gateway, resized to 1920x1200. It was originally 30720x19200. Yeah, over 30,000px wide!

[shot]http://my-image-hosting.com/out.php/i8631_DMGatewayOriginal30720x19200.jpg[/shot]

- Q

Comment

Great shot!

12800x9600 shot of Shangri La; for fun.
                          Great Shot man! Took me a while to download! Looks awesome resized to 16x12.

Comment

Originally posted by Qx9 View Post
                            I believe I now hold the record for largest screenshot ever. Using my method to setres to 3840x2400 and Shadow Dancer's tiledshot 8x8, I was able to achieve a screeshot that was massive!

Here are the details:

Image size: 30720x19200, 1.65GB

Time to snap pic at 3840x2400x32, command tiledshot 8x8: 7 min

Time to open in Irfanview: Under 60 sec

Time to open in PhotoShop CS3: over 2 min

Time to merge layers after adding a simple Hue/Sat layer: 3 min

Time to resize to 1920x1200: Under 60 sec

So you can take the ultimate in screenshots and I'm talking crazy resolutions here! Here's the final resized image of DM-Gateway, resized to 1920x1200. It was originally 30720x19200. Yeah, over 30,000px wide! HERE

- Q
                            Yikes! What are your system specs? I only ask because I do not want to attempt such a feat if I'm going to choke down my computer, lol.

Btw, Q, very cool stuff.

Comment

Wow the difference is amazing ... OMG I am blown away ... so this must be how Buffy takes such perfect pics without any jaggies even though AA does not work correctly and really creates major performance issues. I never knew that taking screenshots gets so involved. This is also why those pics of UT3 looks so amazing compared to how the game actually looks when you are playing ... its still good of course but with no AA there are a lot of jaggies around ... this is what spoils these great graphics. So is it really just the higher res you go the less jaggies you will see or is there something more complex going on? So how does UT3 look in game at the highest supported resolution (what is that for UT3 anyway ... 2560 or just 1900)? Are there significantly less jaggies than at 1680x1050? Can you imagine if the levels really looked like this when you were playing them? That's why I really wish Epic would hurry with that DX10 code to support MSAA on Vista ... I really can't believe how much better the levels in your screenshots look. It is truly amazing stuff. There is far more to taking screenshots than I had ever thought ... thanks for the info ... at some point I will have to play with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X