Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

MASSIVE SCREENSHOTS! (By Qx9)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Comment

I am running a 22" Asus LCD at 1669x1050.
      Using your "windowed" method of taking screen shots in UT, what should I set the res at doing this for a nice wide screen shot?

Going to try this over the weekend to make pics for the Windows screen saver for work and home.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
        This is also why those pics of UT3 looks so amazing compared to how the game actually looks when you are playing ... its still good of course but with no AA there are a lot of jaggies around ... this is what spoils these great graphics. So is it really just the higher res you go the less jaggies you will see or is there something more complex going on?
        Taking a higher res screenshot and resizing it down is like assigning many sub-pixels to a single pixel. Each sub-pixel contributes equally to the final pixel. If there are 9 sub-pixels, each sub-pixel contributes to the color of the final pixel by 1/9th each. If half the sub-pixels were red, and the other half were blue, then you'd see a final purple sub-pixel. If all sub-pixels were brown, the final pixel would be brown.

This can be related to ray tracing. You can over-sample a ray-traced pixel by casting 4, 9, 16, or whatever amount of sub-rays through each pixel. Each of the final rays will contribute 1/4th, 1/9th, 1/16th, or whatever amount to the final ray traced pixel. You are "accumulating" the colors into the final image.

The reason why these screenshots look so nice (due to less jaggies) is because each pixel in the sized-down screenshot has many sub-pixel contributions. The edge of the temples, in Shangri-La for example, against the white sky will have color contributions from each. The final block pixel would have part temple and part sky colors. So on that exact pixel, which is the edge between sky and structure, you will get brown/grey structure colors mixing with white sky colors.

Hope this explanation wasn't too wordy.

Comment

^^^ Thanks ... that is interesting info that I was totally unaware of. Live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Qx9 View Post
            Great Shot man! Took me a while to download! Looks awesome resized to 16x12.
            I've got another, resized thusly, as my bg right now. I finally got Photoshop going on my rig again, so I now have a program that can actually open and manipulate shots that size.

Think I might just go on a photo safari...

BTW, the command works in Gears, as well.

Comment

Jesus, they are so huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              16x12?!
              what's resolution on that and how much " is it?

Comment

My Shangri La shot was 12800x9600. That's roughly 177 in. x 133 in., or 14 ft. x
                11 ft. if my math is correct.
                16x12 is short for 1600x1200, a standard base size for large-ish desktop backgrounds.

Comment

when using tiledshot u don't really need that 8x8 thingy.

you just do "tiledshot 8" and it will take a pic with 8 times more horizontal size and 8 times more vertical size, relatively to your resolution

Comment

Fun stuff! These are scaled down to 1920x1200, I'll post the big bombers tomorrow.

http://ut4e.com/Highres_Screenshot_00010.jpg
                    http://ut4e.com/Highres_Screenshot_00018.jpg
                    http://ut4e.com/Highres_Screenshot_00030.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cenotaph View Post
                      when using tiledshot u don't really need that 8x8 thingy.

you just do "tiledshot 8" and it will take a pic with 8 times more horizontal size and 8 times more vertical size, relatively to your resolution
                      Ah-ha, sweet.
                      You can also do asymmetrical dimensions like 4x7 if you like (not sure why you would, though...)

Avalanche: source 12800x9600, resized to 1600x1200. Jpg format.
                      http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3541/avalanchebc8.jpg

Here we go: Full bmp version, same rez.
                      [screenshot]http://my-image-hosting.com/out.php/i8719_Avalanche.bmp[/screenshot]

Once there's more in the pack I'll release the bmp versions in an archive, and possibly the full-size versions, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Qx9 View Post
                        Image size: 30720x19200, 1.65GB
                        You sir, are insane

Comment

That was insane!! Awesome Thread!!

Originally posted by Kyllian View Post
                          You sir, are insane
                          Totally insane!

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                          Yikes! What are your system specs? I only ask because I do not want to attempt such a feat if I'm going to choke down my computer, lol.
                          Hey Crotale! My current specs are:

E6600
                          P5N-E SLI
                          GeForce 7950 GX2 (Multi GPU mode/SLI)
                          2gb
                          Segate 500 & 320
                          Samsung 930B Monitor (1280x1024 max)

Not the greatest specs by any means...but not too shabby for graphics either.

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
                          Wow the difference is amazing ... OMG I am blown away ...
                          Yeah, the difference is very noticeable.

Originally posted by Xvoid8f View Post
                          Taking a higher res screenshot and resizing it down is like assigning many sub-pixels to a single pixel.
                          Agree totally. That's basically what you're doing..."scrunching" or compacting the image into millions of fine "grains" or pixels. The smoothness and "clearness", if you will, is the end result we're looking for. If you have ever taken a pixelated image and resized it to...let's say 1/4 it's original size, you'll notice the pixelating effect has diminished. You can prove that by taking a 640x480 image and resizing it to 1600x1200. Doesn't look too go huh! Well, if you then resize the image to 320x240, it'll look clean, crisp, and generally smooth.

Originally posted by Cenotaph View Post
                          when using tiledshot u don't really need that 8x8 thingy. you just do "tiledshot 8" and it will take a pic with 8 times more horizontal size and 8 times more vertical size, relatively to your resolution
                          AWESOME! Great info!

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                          Sweet Flak!! Keep those coming man!

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
                          Ah-ha, sweet.
                          You can also do asymmetrical dimensions like 4x7 if you like (not sure why you would, though...)
                          Awesome pics SD! I've gotta try other dimensions like you mentioned!

Originally posted by Corey View Post
                          I am running a 22" Asus LCD at 1669x1050.
                          Using your "windowed" method of taking screen shots in UT, what should I set the res at doing this for a nice wide screen shot?
                          Corey, If you're running 1680x1050, I recommend you find the spot you want to take a screenshot, then hit tab and enter the command tiledshot 8. That will be plenty huge for you! But, you can use the setres command and set just about any resolution you want (need to be in "windowed" mode), but I would keep standard resolutions, such as:

2048x1536
                          1920x1200
                          1920x1080
                          1600x1200
                          1680x1050
                          1280x1024

The main point is, you already have a nice monitor at 1680x1050, so just do a tiledshot 8 and you'll be all set!

Man, this is a great thread for a Sticky! Post some more screenshots everyone!! Scale 'em down a little if you can. 30720x19200 is just too crazy huge.

- Q

Comment

These photos are absolutely gorgeous ... I can't believe how good they look ... talk about bringing out the best of the Unreal Engine. These are easily on par with any game around ... ANY. Please more more ... these illustrate why I am always asking Epic for DX10 code so we can use true working MSAA and see our levels closer to these (with 8xAA I am @ 1680x1050 I can pretty much guarantee the levels would look close to this quality).

Comment

Nice stuff. :> I've been using tiledshots for quite a while to do decent screenies of demos I have, but I had no idea about the 8x8 version. Some quick tries:

[shot]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/Leoz0r/UT3/HIGH-Onyx.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/Leoz0r/UT3/HIGH-Deimos.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/Leoz0r/UT3/HIGH-EUNA-resized.jpg[/shot]

Yeah, mostly tried some landscape shots tonight, will do some close action ones tomorrow maybe. Last one taken from the big EU vs NA Warfare event. ;> They are more interesting if you compare them to a normal screenie, but cba to post standard ones as a comparison atm. :P

Comment

An older shot of WAR-TankCrossing, taken with Color Control active.
                                original resolution: 3200x2400, resized to 1600x1200
                                [screenshot]http://my-image-hosting.com/out.php/i8803_TankCrossing.bmp[/screenshot]

Comment

Working...
                                X