Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very simple and obvious fix for UT3 to encourage higher/more consistent activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
    the whole point of my suggestion was so that we can see every server that is populated in any gametype.. i dont see the point of incorporating some arbitrary limitation such as best ping only.. what if some people want to see populated servers that might be 100 or higher because they dont necessarily care if there is a bit of delay and just want to join an active game.. your statement makes no sense whatsoever to me because you can sort by ping anyway.. so why limit yourself. noone on the other hand wants to join an empty server just because it pings 10 for them, and if they do, they can just look for them under the gametype lists, or probably have the ip already.
    I didn't think of this. For me, I can always find a sub-100 pinging server in every game type in server browser.

Regardless, I'd still like this as an option. No need to have my server browser going crazy loading up a ton of servers I would never touch. Anything above 100 is beyond me.

To each their own.

Comment

Would be even nicer if it defaulted to the gametype you last played, same with making a server/instant action.

If I played CTF a moment ago I'm most likely to want to play it again.

Comment

+1

Very good idea mate, nice work.

Comment

+1

I'd pay for this to be implemented.

Comment

seeing 'deathmatch' as the default game-type was the first thing that ****** me off and i felt a narrowing feeling of game-type options, and having to manually go into some type of drop down menu is far from being streamlined as this game should be being the 3rd installment - 'All' should be the default; streamlined

COD4 you can filter game types by clicking 'Game Mode:' on the gametype icon - its fast and simple

for being one of the greatest games in history, we shouldn't have to reference a lessor of a game to make a point about UI

Comment

Originally posted by 13th_Disciple View Post
              i'd just appreciate it if it would default to the last gametype i selected.
              Im a deathmatch fan, but this makes a lot of sense to me a lot more of the settings should be intuitive, like if your always picking 11 bots for a deathmatch why does it always default back to 5? If you always pick skilled why does it default back to average? Seems kind of daft....

Comment

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but I agree that this would be a great feature.

Comment

Q: When you click Multiplayer, what is the first thing you see?

A: The search filter, with Deathmatch selected by default.

Q: What gametype has the most active servers?

A: Deathmatch by a landslide.

This isn't coincidence. This doesn't mean deathmatch is the most successful or most fun gametype. All it means is it's accessible. I'm tired of never finding good games in other gametypes. It makes me generally want to click the 'Exit' button sooner when I can't find any games in TDM for example, because I prefer that. I'd play CTF if I saw a good match of Coret going on at around 60 ping.. but do I have reason to normally look? CTF is almost always empty... but..

Another question for you then. What if as of version 1.3, the filter defaulted to "All", with the same options for full/empty/locked... UT1 had a "Populated" tab which performed basically the exact same function, and to this day it still has a few thousand players. I don't think that's a coincidence either, I mean sure it has something to do with the game itself, but I believe something so simple has a lot to do with it also and it has always bothered me that this hasn't been done in any version since.

If it defaults to search All gametypes or maybe just Populated, then people will join servers more based on the ping than what gametype it is, there will be more even distribution, people will play for longer because there is a more even distribution of players, and as a result I think we will see some growth in the numbers.. even if modest, it can't hurt right?

So Epic, please for the love of fragging, implement this in version 1.3 or with your updateable UI system.

I have been saying this for a Looooong time.

The server browser should ALWAYS DEFAULT TO *ALL* servers. then YOU the PLAYER can pick how you want to filter servers if you want to...

Also the browser should remember what you last searched and should stay there. When I just searched for CTF and I exit a game, i shouldnt be sent to a filter screen thats set to search for DM wth?! i should always exit a game back in the server browser, not the search page!

the server browser really needs alot of help and it would really help the game alot if it was fixed. soon!

Comment

yeah I hate being sent back to the filter page rather than the browser, that's my other beef.

Comment

this guy is pure genius! i love that idea!!

Comment

Q: When you click Multiplayer, what is the first thing you see?

A: The search filter, with Deathmatch selected by default.

Q: What gametype has the most active servers?

A: Deathmatch by a landslide.

This isn't coincidence. This doesn't mean deathmatch is the most successful or most fun gametype. All it means is it's accessible. I'm tired of never finding good games in other gametypes. It makes me generally want to click the 'Exit' button sooner when I can't find any games in TDM for example, because I prefer that. I'd play CTF if I saw a good match of Coret going on at around 60 ping.. but do I have reason to normally look? CTF is almost always empty... but..

Another question for you then. What if as of version 1.3, the filter defaulted to "All", with the same options for full/empty/locked... UT1 had a "Populated" tab which performed basically the exact same function, and to this day it still has a few thousand players. I don't think that's a coincidence either, I mean sure it has something to do with the game itself, but I believe something so simple has a lot to do with it also and it has always bothered me that this hasn't been done in any version since.

If it defaults to search All gametypes or maybe just Populated, then people will join servers more based on the ping than what gametype it is, there will be more even distribution, people will play for longer because there is a more even distribution of players, and as a result I think we will see some growth in the numbers.. even if modest, it can't hurt right?

So Epic, please for the love of fragging, implement this in version 1.3 or with your updateable UI system.

I have been saying this for a looooong time. the server browser must have an ALL & Populated search option and one or the other must be the default.

The server browser should ALWAYS DEFAULT TO *ALL* servers. then YOU the PLAYER can pick how you want to filter servers if you want to...

Also the browser should remember what you last searched and should stay there. When I just searched for CTF and I exit a game, i shouldnt be sent to a filter screen thats set to search for DM wth?! i should always exit a game back in the server browser, not the search page!

the server browser really needs alot of help and it would really help the game alot if it was fixed. and soon!

Comment

As said creating instant action and lan games should also default to your last choices, maps, bots, mutators etc.

Comment

C'mon guys.. we all know if this game was a pc game then ported over to consoles like a year later we would have small things like this and everything we loved about ut99 and ut2k's gui. I hear ya though.. even quake4 defaults to "all". I can't think of a game that doesn't default to all.. just another basic feature overlooked/destroyed by them making this game mostly for consoles.

Comment

+1
                              Simple ideas are the best!

Comment

Agreed! Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X