Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very simple and obvious fix for UT3 to encourage higher/more consistent activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    They close threads if it goes on for too long also. So don't be boneheads!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    they're not working on UT4. Unreal Engine 4. There's a difference..

and I'll have to ask people to refrain from flaming each other in my thread, that is why your last posts got deleted.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bersy View Post
    Q: When you click Multiplayer, what is the first thing you see?

A: The search filter, with Deathmatch selected by default.

Q: What gametype has the most active servers?

A: Deathmatch by a landslide.

This isn't coincidence. This doesn't mean deathmatch is the most successful or most fun gametype. All it means is it's accessible. I'm tired of never finding good games in other gametypes. It makes me generally want to click the 'Exit' button sooner when I can't find any games in TDM for example, because I prefer that. I'd play CTF if I saw a good match of Coret going on at around 60 ping.. but do I have reason to normally look? CTF is almost always empty... but..

Another question for you then. What if as of version 1.3, the filter defaulted to "All", with the same options for full/empty/locked... UT1 had a "Populated" tab which performed basically the exact same function, and to this day it still has a few thousand players. I don't think that's a coincidence either, I mean sure it has something to do with the game itself, but I believe something so simple has a lot to do with it also and it has always bothered me that this hasn't been done in any version since.

If it defaults to search All gametypes or maybe just Populated, then people will join servers more based on the ping than what gametype it is, there will be more even distribution, people will play for longer because there is a more even distribution of players, and as a result I think we will see some growth in the numbers.. even if modest, it can't hurt right?

So Epic, please for the love of fragging, implement this in version 1.3 or with your updateable UI system.
    I brought this up months ago, basically why not make the menu act the same way 2k4 did? My favorite gametype was "Vctf". So everytime I clicked on browsers, it would go back to the last gametype I played, which was VCTF. Also, in 2k4, I always searched the gameservers by player count. And everytime I would start ut up and go into the browser menu, not only was Vctf already select, but guess what? Yep, it sorted from most players down like I last selected it to be. There are so many things , so many small things Epic could do, but apparently, they don't care. Cheating is rampant on what little populated servers are out there and there is no lack of enuthiasm or support from Epic. It seems like it's all about the consoles now, just as Tim Sweeny anounced in his recent news interview that the Consoles are first and the PC will be last for UT4. WTF! They are already working on ut4 and can't even get the most simple fixes done on Ut3. Epic has fallen and I have lost all faith in them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How about putting a **** load of ut3 stuff on youtube. since just about everone goes there. a lot of stuff in youtube become popular.. look at the presidential candidate stuff and note the replys.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well get a server and call it "House of Noob's" or "Noobalicious" or something like that!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ]NIN[ View Post
    This is not a bad idea, but it's nothing new. The original UT had this option. AND the orignal UT browser was much faster & less laggy.
    Maybe you missed it, but that was actually my point.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by clark kent View Post
    I say give the PC version away for free! That's right, for free! It ain't selling anyway...
    Lol, priceless! Utterly deranged. No wonder your other thread got closed...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is not a bad idea, but it's nothing new. The original UT had this option. AND the orignal UT browser was much faster & less laggy.

Yes the people who made this game surely aren't the same people who made the original for sure, or they got way too old & stopped playing games or something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Want more people? Then stop being nasty to n00bs. I have friends that have played the game and dont want to play it again cause they cant even compete with skilled players that at this time overpopulate in servers. I bet other people feel the same way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree with 13th, keep the last selected game type so everyones happy. But a good suggestion none the less however simple. But the real question is "How do we get more PC players on line" since, even for any game type on-line PC servers are hardly populated. This idea will noit address that issue I am sorry to say.

I had a thread that the forum administrator closed after 10 minutes because it was too controversial, but I guess that's a new concept for these forums. Yeah, Right...

We need more good ideas like this but we also need something MUCH more drastic. We need more than a "Simple Fix" to repair this little faux pas by EPIC on the UT3 PC version. But it seems like radical ideas are not welcome anymore.

We need a flood or PC UT3 players and I say give the PC version away for free! That's right, for free! It ain't selling anyway, it can be watered down, downloaded on line only, etc. Minus the costs of the CD & packaging maybe it's doable. Maybe that would get us a flood of players but I don't know. But if this lack of players keeps up I am switching games and soon...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Every time I fire up the game, I go online and think of this thread while I switch from DM (which I basically never play) to some other gametype. This is a must-have change for the new patch.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by faultymoose View Post
    This is the BEST kind of suggestion. Something small and relatively easy to implement that will not negatively affect gameplay for anyone. Nothing subjective about it. I'm replying again just for bumpage.
    I kinda agreed when I saw the server browser from the get go. Even UT2k4 -- I found the select menu-box and the custom servers off by default really hurt the other gametypes and mutators (respectively)

Push the players into seeing ALL their options by default.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    +1 it needs to be this way

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah it really should be default, not being included == >_>; xfire lets you do it in their browser though =3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    + 1

Nice idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X