Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very simple and obvious fix for UT3 to encourage higher/more consistent activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defaulting to all game types instead of DM is great. There shouldn't be a bias there. I think defaulting to populated servers *is* a mistake however. It would encourage too much consolidation without rewarding good servers. The crappiest server in the world may become #1 just because everybody else is on it, for no other good reason. It's better to let the merits of the server dictate the number of people playing on it, IMO. If the initial list is sorted, sort by ping seems more appropriate than sort by number-of-players.

Comment

+1

This is exactly what is needed so that people try some new friggin' gametypes. TDM and CTF are two of the best modes evarrrr but as extinct as the dinosaurs. This could bring them back.

Comment

+1 great idea...ut99's UI was pretty good and all it really needed was some polishing. That being said I really liked UT2004's UI as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainSnarf View Post
          Defaulting to all game types instead of DM is great. There shouldn't be a bias there. I think defaulting to populated servers *is* a mistake however. It would encourage too much consolidation without rewarding good servers. The crappiest server in the world may become #1 just because everybody else is on it, for no other good reason. It's better to let the merits of the server dictate the number of people playing on it, IMO. If the initial list is sorted, sort by ping seems more appropriate than sort by number-of-players.
          I understand and agree with your argument, but does it really make a difference when there is the ability to filter out empty servers, which I suspect most people would employ anyway? Add to that the fact that querying every gametype at once with no filters would probably cause big slowdowns..

Comment

In a landmark event, the primary US presidential candidates were unified and had the following to say regarding the possible new addition to UT3:

Mr. Obama,what are your thoughts?
            "I endorse this unification of our multi-gamtype system"

Hillary, comments?
            "See all gametypes and as a result increase server loads? Yes we can!"

Mr McCain?
            "Everyone knows I am a huge fan of both Warfare and Deathmatch. As long as we bring war and death to the forefront I whole heartedly endorse it"

Back to you Bersy!

Sorry, too much coffee.... yep.

meh.

Comment

I lis'd (laughed in silence)

Comment

+1 for the awesome idea that is also simple. On top of this Epic needs to make the menu remember all your filter/server configurations. That way you won't have to un-tick "Empty Servers" every time.

Comment

That's actually an awesome idea!!!

In addition, this is my sugestion: allowing us to see the servers list, without disconnecting from the server we're in atm. Also, when we disconnect from a server, we should go straight to the servers list, and not to the main menu.

Comment

Looks like the most popular idea yet - deservedly so

Comment

Fantastic idea. Sometimes I just want to get into a game, and don't have a preference as to the gametype. I'm easy, like that!

Comment

+1

sounds good to me

Comment

+1 good idea

Comment

this may not be the only reason but its well worth a try

+1

Comment

+1 !!!! Populated servers as initial search result!!

Comment

To help in this, remove the Pure server filter. Would be a nice way to show support for the mods as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X