Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardly any servers running custom maps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardly any servers running custom maps??

Yeah, patch 1.2 is out. Redirect is fixed. And yet, the map rotations on virtually all the servers have remained untouched. No custom maps. What gives here? What made UT2004 so fun was the staggering quantity of custom maps. If there aren't any on POPULAR SERVERS THAT CONSISTENTLY HAVE PLAYERS (note the caps), it gets pretty old pretty fast. And it seems not many servers have even bothered upgrading to the latest patch, and are still running the vanilla 1.0 version.

What the hell gives?

I hate to say this: but there aren't that many custom maps out yet that I would feel like playing. Moreover, UT3's difficulty with custom content, even if solved now, makes it a bit of a turn off.

Comment

Actually we regularly play over 30 vctf maps on Bender's server, and I love the variety!

Comment

finally webadmin is out....you should be seeing more custom maps for sure, ppl just need to look

ut3.5 ftw

Comment

A lot of clans have not shifted over to UT3 due to it's initial instabilty or missing features or hardware upgrade requirements; not to mention being released into a tidal wave of next generation FPS games to compete with. Sales of UT3 are less than 10% of UT2004's sales figures as a result of any or all of the above reasons. However,it is early in the game's life...less community = less maps. Soon things will pick up as they migrate over from UT2004 once it's easier to run UT3.....

I think the custom maps download bug coupled with a few others that made it hard enough to run the game with stock files spoiled a lot of the fun as well......

We will get there..... people are also still reading and watching UE3 tutorials....

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle+= View Post
            However,it is early in the game's life...less community = less maps.
            There is a great handful of good custom maps out right now. Maybe not up to par for the most uber elite pro gamer, but for any casual player and anybody just playing for fun, they are great.

The fact is, none of them are being used on the servers that do exist and are very active. If they are, none of the servers ping well for me that have them.

And this also does not explain why most servers are still totally unpatched.

The admin of each and every server cant just be lazy, can they? Is it something else?

Comment

am starting to add maps now to our NYC servers, still working on getting the mods going so far...maps are the easy part, compression is working also now, so more admin's may also jump on the bandwagon

Comment

I think one of the problems with custom maps is that the compression doesn't really reduce the size that much and unless you have great bandwidth on your server for 15+- downloading a custom map that is about 45megs is gonna take a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by crianp View Post
                  I think one of the problems with custom maps is that the compression doesn't really reduce the size that much and unless you have great bandwidth on your server for 15+- downloading a custom map that is about 45megs is gonna take a long time.
                  I don't think that would be a problem for 98.6% of the people who play UT3 online.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
                    What made UT2004 so fun was the staggering quantity of custom maps.
                    Nope, it just worked!

Oh, UT2k4 has reuseable content, 80% of UT3 is customised for the map or meshes, guess they thought console players wouldn't need reusable content,,, and they forgot all about PC players.

Comment

He was talking about the server bandwidth. Honestly with a good redirect setup that solves that issue.

I can only speak for myself. I was all excited about getting into mapping for UT3, then...meh, got more important things to do. Without the people I hang around on line mapping also I've got no resource base or motivation to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectUT View Post
                        Nope, it just worked!

Oh, UT2k4 has reuseable content, 80% of UT3 is customised for the map or meshes, guess they thought console players wouldn't need reusable content,,, and they forgot all about PC players.
                        well they're not focusing on PS3 players either, so it's not that they forgot about PC players they've forgotten about UT as a whole. It seems GoW is now their flagship franchise.

Comment

From the recent comments from the president, I think the big issues was thier deadline for release was pushed, and the game suffered accordingly.

I have a feeling that the develpement teams are shared, and while they used to only write 1 game (UT) now they are developing a number of titles, so their team is split, and progress suffers accordingly.

Probably performance pressue from Midway.

Comment

I have a couple of custom maps running on my server, but I've also tried others and then decided to dump them. Unfortunately, there aren't many custom maps out there that I would consider good, but I will keep looking for them

Comment

i have a 20 man Warfare Server located in Chicago that i have loaded custom Warfare maps on. i have a private redirect and all files are compressed. The redirect is pretty fast too. Server has been optimized for good pings and smooth gameplay.

i am looking for people to help populate the server. I am usually on around 8-9 pm EST playing bots waiting for people to join.

Current map list:

WAR-Alien Sands (Crossfire Remake)
                              WAR-ChainIsle Revisited
                              WAR-Dreamus
                              WAR-Iridi
                              WAR-SandstormX (VCTF Port)
                              WAR-Sentinels (Severance Remake)
                              WAR-Spires
                              WAR-UNK Darkwalker Nightmare
                              WAR-UNK Dome of Death
                              WAR-Rilohn Ridge
                              WAR-SnakeBite (Frostbite Remake)
                              WAR-ArticStronghold
                              WAR-KargoX (VCTF port)

Some of these are beta versions but they all are good maps to play on. Will be updating to finalized versions as the map makers finish them. If you have Warfare maps that you want hosted email me at killerus@hoclan.net

Server Info:

The HO Down***Custom Maps w/Redirect

69.12.92.126:7777

Comment

Working...
                              X