The things I love about UT3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The things I love about UT3...

I am a PC gamer at heart, especially FPS, my gaming roots going back to the Wolfenstein era. Name a FPSand I have played it, and with all the fond memories of past games (quake, quake3, ut, ut2004 etc) I must say that Ut3 really hold its ground.

To name a few things I love about ut3.

The graphics.
    They are outstanding for this generation, both in terms of the capabilities of the engine (it's a really popular engine, with many games powered by it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_engine). But also from the artistic side. Sometimes I just start an instant action game where I fly around as a spectator to look at the gorgeous and cool graphics. I really like its gritty, and dirty (somewhat Gothic) style. It doesn't try to mirror the reality (like for example Crysis), it just tries to look cool, and it succeeds
    In term of the engine I just have to say that it kick ***, people seem to hate all the post processing effects (ie bloom), but I really think it adds to the atmosphere.

Game play
    I love the tempo, fast and action packed. Instant respawn coupled with weapons that kills in a couple of shots just add to the fray. It's an adrenaline rush with no end. The DM part is really well balanced, personally I think the weapons are more balanced then prior UTs. I'm not a fan of the vehicle game modes, so cannot really tell if they are balanced or not.
    The visual feedback is great to, you can really feel the impact of the weapons etc, the great physics also adds to this.
    Subtle changes from prior games in the series just make the experience all the better, for instance the Bio Rifle big blob that sticks to an enemy and gibs him to pieces a couple of seconds later, so satisfying.

Sound
    Great gritty sound, great character voices (spectator voice is great as always), the ambient sound is great. I like the map specific frag sounds.

Performance
    Contrary to what many people say I say that Ut3 is very optimized, just look at all the things the engine spits out in real time. On my rig (geforce8800gts, Core 2 Duo 2.67ghz, 4gb ram) the game almost never drops under 60 fps on maximized settings. Other games, like Crysis and World in Conflict can put my rig to the knees.

I'm having so much fun with this game right now (both online and offline), sometimes I just start it up to play a few games but exit the game a few hours later wondering where the time went. I think It's a great successor to past games.
    Of course there is things that could have been done better (more game modes, better UI and overall more polish) but taking all into accountancy it's a really great game, I love it.

So, now to you, what do you love about ut3?

could'nt agree more! and thx for sharing!

Comment

These are the main things that keep me playing UT3 instead of going back to its predecessors:

1. Great art direction. It's clear that there's a ton of talent among Epic's designers, and this is the first game in the series that's had a recognisable and consistent style. The Necris vehicles and architecture in particular really make the game stand out from your average shooter.

2. The gameplay recaptures everything I loved about UT99. This is obviously personal preference, and I know that a lot of competitive players prefer 2k4's gameplay for good reasons, but for me - a casual player who just plays for fun - the gameplay is pretty much spot on.

3. Really, really fun vehicles. In terms of design, physics and controls they're just very well polished. There's still room for improvement in some cases (sounds, for example), but I've yet to see anything better in an FPS.

4. Warfare.

Comment

Well IMO...

UT2004 beats this game in almost every way except for graphics and warfare is better than onslaught imo...It really breaks my heart the high graphics demanded more time put into maps and characters so therefore there's less content (this can also be viewed as a good thing because the maps have more style and soul). This will also make mods come out slower than they did for 04 because of the increased skill needed for making models and weapons.

BUT

This game craps all over most of the recent FPS releases.

Comment

Well done Hellfire. Did you really need to post here?

UT3 is my favourite in the series so far. The balance is great esp in Duel, the weapons feel amazing to use, the sounds are gritty and deep, and the movement is exactly how i wanted it. It also happens to have a great community of mappers and modders and now that console users can use maps/mods there is an even bigger player base to release content for.

Comment

The things I love about UT3:

Shield system
            Ability to steal powerups

That's all...

Comment

Loving everything, just wished that it was a lot more populated... can hardly find servers with decent ping to play in sometimes (PC).

Comment

Weapon tactics: I find myself using a lot of the weapons the same way that I used them in the first UT, and it's a welcoming feeling. The Flak and the Link especially feel very similar. They also seem to have more defined roles: the flak shell isn't just another rocket, the ideal range of the minigun picks up where the useful range of the Link runs out...

Art direction: a bit bulky, perhaps, but definitely distinctive. What I love most is how it all can blend together. As opposed to 2k3's texture sets, which were largely exclusive (Ice/tech, Egypt, Hell, Nature, City) UT3's can co-exist, and often do, to one extent or another, to create a varied, but consistent look.

Vehicles: Vehicle physics is a little wonky; having spent my share of time in rolling Warthogs, the way a Scorp flips or rolls when it hits an incline sideways or goes off a cliff feels weird, rolling around an unrelated axis. But I love the way they drive. It may be unrealistic, but I love how responsive they are, especially with the handbrake added in.
                I also love how deadly they are. Vehicles don't feel threatening or very real, ultimately, when one infantry can hold them off with just a shock rifle. Some of the old tactics work, but you've gotta' be good to pull them off, which feels a lot better. One of the first games where getting in a vehicle doesn't necessarily just turn me into a bigger target.

Comment

The only think I love is LTS. I'm a 2k4 TAM player and I don't feel good with the ut3/ut99 gameplay but at least I LOVE SOMETHING ABOUT UT3

Just want to say that LTS's the only mod who give me the fealing I had in ut2k4 and that's a good thing. I hope others 2k4 TAM player will stop to complain about UT3 and will play LTS!

If you really don't like the physique, well you can have dodgejump mutator if you feel better that way and you can have a fastweapons switch mutator to make it more like 2k4 if you want. So LTS with or without mutator is the best thing around for 2k4 tam player like ME and I hope this mod will bring more 2k4 player because I'm kinda bored to play vs bots or empty server with this mod.

I think ut99/ut3 gameplay's more to HF then to be competitive compare to ut2k4 and that bring a lot of new player around for sur but for those like me who think competitve gameplay's better then FUN FOR ALL gameplay well at least TRY LTS BEFORE COMPLAINING ABOUT EVERYTHING ABOUT UT3.

That's the thing I love about UT3. (thanks god I love something) :P

Comment

I love when you are in an enemy base, and you happen to be on a platform above a Darkwalker. The enemy jumps in it, and you see the head of the craft rise up in the air in front of you. As you're staring at what looks like the face of the walker, you know you're about to die. Then the lasers come.

mmmm dramatic

Comment

I've spoken my peace about what I don't like about UT3 in other threads, so I won't grind that axe in this thread. All others should do the same;

Here's what I do like:

1. Kicka$$ weaponry. The sounds and weapon models are fantastic. Glad that they got rid of that sissy Lightning Gun and stuck with the Sniper Rifle and improved it significantly over the 2K4 version.

2. Overall sounds and music. Very good.

3. Player character cast and their voices. I really like them a lot.

4. The levels that came with the game. A lot of work went into them.

5. The core gameplay is very good.

6. The overall graphical appearance of the game.

Comment

Except of Performance issues and lack of content, that game superior to 2004 and 99, in some way the Deathmatch and UTIII is way different then it always were, the difference between maps is very notable compared to other series.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinchy View Post
                          I love when you are in an enemy base, and you happen to be on a platform above a Darkwalker. The enemy jumps in it, and you see the head of the craft rise up in the air in front of you. As you're staring at what looks like the face of the walker, you know you're about to die. Then the lasers come.

mmmm dramatic
                          Yeah I love the drama that thing causes. They need to put more emotion in the voice clip for the incoming darkwalker thing. It needs to be "OH ****! ****! HOLY ****! INCOMING DARKWALKER, I REPEAT INCOMING ENEMY DARKWALKER TO (AREA)!!!!!!!" instead of "Enemy darkwalker approaching (area)". What's even more epic is doing a raptor run on a dark walker then dropping down and pwning the infantry that it was advancing with....until you get run over by that **** invisible tank thingy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire999 View Post
                            Yeah I love the drama that thing causes. They need to put more emotion in the voice clip for the incoming darkwalker thing. It needs to be "OH ****! ****! HOLY ****! INCOMING DARKWALKER, I REPEAT INCOMING ENEMY DARKWALKER TO (AREA)!!!!!!!" instead of "Enemy darkwalker approaching (area)". What's even more epic is doing a raptor run on a dark walker then dropping down and pwning the infantry that it was advancing with....until you get run over by that **** invisible tank thingy!
                            Thats Unreal for ya!
                            Its like watching a movie but actually being in it..

Its good to know that people love this game the way I loved 2k4

Comment

Originally posted by JUNGLIST MOVEMENT View Post
                              Thats Unreal for ya!
                              Its like watching a movie but actually being in it..

Its good to know that people love this game the way I loved 2k4
                              What maps have that weird *** flying necris thing that almost made me **** myself the first time it started chasing me?

Comment

Working...
                              X