Which graphics card should i get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which graphics card should i get?

hey, i have a 8500gt graphics card which is pretty ****ty. I want to get a 8800 but theres like 5 different types. Anyone know which one i should get?

My specs are:
    Intel Core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    3 GB of memory
    Vista
    32 bit (not sure what that means.)

Either a 8800GT or the new 8800GTS (92) are the best choices

There is no need to spend so much more on a GTX or Ultra

Comment

Depends how much money you want to spend. The 8800 GT 512mb goes for about $240 and is a blistering fast card. It has the best price/performance ratio of any card available (or close to it). For performance, there's only a few cards better, and they all cost $300 - $700.

Brand doesn't matter so much. But here's a couple neat facts:
      EVGA offers a future upgrade option. If a better card comes out, you just pay the price difference and exchange them.
      XFX has a lifetime warranty that I believe also covers overclocking. Not only that, but it's transferable to the next owner, unlike most brands.

Oh, and no matter which one you get, you want G92, nothing else. The GTS comes in both G80 and G92, so check your specs.
      And make sure it will fit in your case, some of them are very long. My XFX 8800 GT 512mb is a whopping 9 inches long.

Check this out for easy research:
      http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=716&chart=285

Comment

Wait a week or two, the new GX2 cards are supposed to be out, so all prices across the board may fall a little more for you. However, the 8800gt is a great card, and the 8800gts 512 (make sure you pick the 512 and not the 640/320 version, as that's the older version) is also a good card.

Comment

Like it was said before depending on the money you want spend I just built my son a gaming machine with a Q6600 and 4 gigs of crosshair and I just stuck 2 XFX 8600GT XXX cards in it and they were around 80 bucks each with a stock clocking of 620 on the core and 1800 on the mem.
          Only thing I did not like was the fans on the cards are bit loud and the michine needs to have good clooing FAN'S
          These 2 cards SLI'ed perform as good as the 8800GTS even better, I ran
          3dmark6 and it out scored the 8800gts by about 600 points with a average frame rate of 90+ in ut3 and in the high 60's in BIOshock.
          With a $100 to $150 dollar deferance in it and you would be running sli for the money it is weel worth it.
          http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...552&CatId=1560
          Hope this helps.

PEACE

-DM

Comment

man i would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on any series 8 graphics card...but i cant cos im only on AGP

Comment

ok thanks for all the information, but a couple more questions. I am thinking of the EVGA 8800gtx but i am worried that it will overheat. Should i get a water cooling system thing or will it be fine?

Comment

8800gt /eof

Comment

Originally posted by Spedmonds View Post
                  ok thanks for all the information, but a couple more questions. I am thinking of the EVGA 8800gtx but i am worried that it will overheat. Should i get a water cooling system thing or will it be fine?
                  Erm why the gtx? The GT or the GTS(92) are far cheaper and perform almost as good (in some cases depending on brand they perform just as good)

Comment

ok but would a 8800gt or gts need a water cooler or anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by nDP::Deathmaker View Post
                      Like it was said before depending on the money you want spend I just built my son a gaming machine with a Q6600 and 4 gigs of crosshair and I just stuck 2 XFX 8600GT XXX cards in it and they were around 80 bucks each with a stock clocking of 620 on the core and 1800 on the mem.
                      Only thing I did not like was the fans on the cards are bit loud and the michine needs to have good clooing FAN'S
                      These 2 cards SLI'ed perform as good as the 8800GTS even better, I ran
                      3dmark6 and it out scored the 8800gts by about 600 points with a average frame rate of 90+ in ut3 and in the high 60's in BIOshock.
                      With a $100 to $150 dollar deferance in it and you would be running sli for the money it is weel worth it.
                      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...552&CatId=1560
                      Hope this helps.

PEACE

-DM
                      I find that highly unlikely, your tests may be skewed in some fashion. 2 8600 GT's have 64 shaders @ 1500 mhz (if you overclocked them, 1300 mhz standard) and both are limited by their 128 bit bus. A single 8800 GTS (G92) costs $260 dollars (EVGA @ Newegg) has 128 shaders at 1600 mhz; 1940 mhz memory, 670 mhz core, and a 256 bit bus w/ 512 mb memory. Even if SLI provided 100 percent gain in every single game (improbable) x2 8600 GT's (even at those overclocked speeds, with in my testing provide at most 10-15 percent gain) would simply not have the raw processing power to even match the GTS, yet alone surpass it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spedmonds View Post
                        ok but would a 8800gt or gts need a water cooler or anything like that?
                        No reasonably clocked GPU requires water cooling, stock coolers will be more than enough for your usage.

You could get an 8800 GT, but considering that you snag a 8800 GTS (G92) for about 20 dollars more (240 vs 260) I'd recommend that. The only reason you shouldn't is if your case is too small to fit, or if you run into power issues.

Keep in mind there are 2 versions of the 8800 GTS. The 512 mb 256 bit version (G92) is the much faster and newest version. Do not get the 640 mb/ 320 mb GTS.

Comment

Only GPUs that require water cooling are the ones that are sold as "Black Pearl edition" or whatever those are calle.d

Comment

nice deal on a G92 8800GTS
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130325

Comment

You really need to use the search function, 999 threads on this

Only ONE 8800GT 512MB 660MHz clock at $200 after rebate.
                              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127329

It is sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X