Bridging the gap between platforms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridging the gap between platforms.

Hello people, I presume that just by looking at this thread's title alone, y'all can tell that I'm rather interested in the idea of playing with people from across all platforms.

I know I read somewhere before that one game on both the PC and Xbox 360 platforms could play together on the same servers (can't remember which game though), and I think that for a big game like UT3, this shouldn't be something impossible, right?

Anyway, if anyone has news on anything about this, feel free to post your own thoughts or findings here for everyone else who cares about this like me.

Why is the "SP2" in your signature a bigger font than the rest of your signature? Any specific reason? Just curious.

And Epic specifically said that there won't be any cross-platforming.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadori View Post
      Hello people, I presume that just by looking at this thread's title alone, y'all can tell that I'm rather interested in the idea of playing with people from across all platforms.

I know I read somewhere before that one game on both the PC and Xbox 360 platforms could play together on the same servers (can't remember which game though), and I think that for a big game like UT3, this shouldn't be something impossible, right?

Anyway, if anyone has news on anything about this, feel free to post your own thoughts or findings here for everyone else who cares about this like me.
      It might have worked for other games, that weren't as graphics heavy as UT3. The PS3 simply can't handle the same stuff at the same FPS as computers. Same goes for the Xbox I'd assume.

Comment

They said that cross-platform is a feature they might consider later on.

Personally, I think, in a couple of patches when they get rid of all the glaring, terrible, obvious bugs that should have been fixed before release... and then another patch or so, to give everyone all the features they want... they should start working on cross-platform.

Ideally, that means removing AA from keyboard and mouse on PS3 and allowing server admins to select if they'd like PC users, ps3 users, or both, and then select if they want to allow kb +m from ps3, gamepad users from ps3, or both, and what speed to run the game at. Slow ps3 speed, or fast PC speed.

This would fix the imbalance of servers to players right now, since many servers would be opened up to all the people on ps3.

Comment

he PS3 simply can't handle the same stuff at the same FPS as computers.
          Framerate has nothing to do with compatibility in a controlled environment.

And Epic specifically said that there won't be any cross-platforming.
          Got a link? I remember Mark Rein said that it wouldn't be done just now because of patching. But when the games are patched up i it looks a bit more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
            They said that cross-platform is a feature they might consider later on.

Personally, I think, in a couple of patches when they get rid of all the glaring, terrible, obvious bugs that should have been fixed before release... and then another patch or so, to give everyone all the features they want... they should start working on cross-platform.

Ideally, that means removing AA from keyboard and mouse on PS3 and allowing server admins to select if they'd like PC users, ps3 users, or both, and then select if they want to allow kb +m from ps3, gamepad users from ps3, or both, and what speed to run the game at. Slow ps3 speed, or fast PC speed.

This would fix the imbalance of servers to players right now, since many servers would be opened up to all the people on ps3.
            Off-topic: I can't help but think that your picture looks like a robotic version of a woman's genitalia xD

On-topic: While your idea seems like the ideal solution, not many PC users will actually decrease the speed at which they're playing

Comment

True PC players i think would rather play at normal speed. But the PS3 apparently already has the ability to play at PC speed so i think that would be the best solution. PS3 kbm players will be more willing to play at faster speeds i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
                Off-topic: I can't help but think that your picture looks like a robotic version of a woman's genitalia xD

On-topic: While your idea seems like the ideal solution, not many PC users will actually decrease the speed at which they're playing
                I wondered why I liked that pic XD

And I agree most PC users won't change their habits, but kb+m ps3 users will be fine at full-speed, speed-freak seems popular among ps3 users, so gamepad users would be fine too.

And at least ps3 users would get to use PC-dedicated, regardless of if pc-users join as well. But I think many might feel like playing at a slower speed sometimes.

Comment

From a PC players pov i'd be so happy to see such a large increase in players. Lets hope Epic are twiddling the right knobs.

Comment

i was watching a channel called xleague.tv and they said epic are thinking about cross pplatforming

Comment

Originally posted by sHoTDoGGed View Post
                      From a PC players pov i'd be so happy to see such a large increase in players. Lets hope Epic are twiddling the right knobs.
                      Seriously. If you have a huge community, it's really not necessary. Sadly, not the case.

Comment

I'm still amazed at the misconception that just because ppl use controllers that we require a slower speed. Speed has never been a problem for me. In fact using a k+m is not gonna make a person more comfortable with a fast game if they're not comfortable with speed in general. So that infamous statement is very retarted. If a person likes to drive slow, giving him a faster car is not gonna make him want to actually go faster.

Comment

This is a part of the chat log of the interview BU did with Epic Games back in September.
                          • EpicFan: Can you confirm that there will be online multi-player cross platform play between the PS3 and PC?
                          [Epic]IctusBrucks: Matt, Mark?
                          MarkRein[Epic]: There will not be cross platform play at launch
                          MarkRein[Epic]: Allow me to elaborate on this one...
                          * MarkRein[Epic] is getting a can of soda
                          MarkRein[Epic]: The biggest challenge in doing cross platform play is syncronizing the builds such that the build on the PC is 100% compatible with the build on the PS3. Unfortunately (or fortunately) when you games on console you have a lengthy certification process to go through each time you release anything new... We looked at how this would impact our ability to respond quickly to things happening at internet speed on the PC side of the equation and realized that would not be in the best interests of our very loyal PC user base because we would constantly be holding on to updates to wait until they passed cert on the console platform
                          MarkRein[Epic] Our PC fanbase is of ultimate importance to us.They are our bread and butter.We can't let them down or compromise their experience in any way to accomodate cross platform play.
                          MarkRein[Epic]: This doesn't completely rule out adding this feature at some point in the future after the game has settled down and we've been through a few updates, but even then the likelihood is small.
                          MarkRein[Epic]: So there you have it.
                          i also wish ^^this^^ would be stickied.

Comment

seriously though, they can't wait that long. there will be more titles to come out and UT3 will fall off the map. Could it be they are just waiting to come out with a new version (2kX like)?

I agree with most ppl though, giving cross-platform would take care of one of the major complaints that i have with the game. There is never enough servers, and the majority of them are set to 32 players, which leaves all the others (which have good caps) empty. WE NEED MORE PPL!!!!!

Comment

I'd say the likelihood's a little bigger now given the reality of the situation since release. This game needs something like that to bring the game some positive attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X