• Show
Clear All

Need more ram?

Before buying this game I have...
    Intel D865PERL
    Pentium 4 3.19
    1GB Ram
    7950GT

that's basics... most people have confirmed that I will be able to play the game with reasonable quality... and I was curious to see if I should upgrade and put another GB of ram into the box to make things more smooth... any other fairly low cost options to optimize performance?

nothing as low cost as RAM, but you would do well with another vid card.. i would imagine you knew that though.. but yeah, another GB of RAM will help a little, as well.

Comment

It's a fairly old motherboard and I know that it doesn't support SLI and I think that GFX card is reasonably good for the AGP slot I have...

Comment

Yup. 2 gigs is pretty much standard.

Comment

Alright thanks... does anyone know around what settings i'll be able to play it... im not sure if it was like minimum or midrange?

Comment

the vid card is fine for UT3. IIRC, it's a lot better than my 8600GT and I can pretty much max out UT3. at 1280x1024 (my native res)

I recommend buying another gig of ram. you can get them for like $30 nowadays. I've seen UT3 use around 700mb of ram which will slow you down, especially if you have vista taking up 500mb or so. even with XP you'll probably get slow downs.

You'll notice a big performance increase going from 1gb to 2gb. when I did that, everything was faster. reboot, shutdown, minimizing games, loading apps, everything. going from 2gb to 3gb was definately not as noticable, but the ram was just so cheap ($20!) that I just got it because of how cheap it was

Comment

Alright thanks for help... noob question but IIRC? uh Can't say I'm too familiar with that term.

Comment

Originally posted by B4CK5T4B View Post
                Alright thanks for help... noob question but IIRC? uh Can't say I'm too familiar with that term.
                "If I Recall Correctly"

Comment

Thanks much Sir Alaran.

Comment

it can also be "If i remember correctly"

Comment

What kind of FPS do you get Tomeis just curious if our cards are comparable.

Comment

on the smaller, indoor maps 50+ FPS with the settings maxed except for world detail which is at 3. the only noticable difference between 3 and 5 world detail is dynamic shadows (shadows cast by players/vehicles) which you don't really notice are gone because of all the action.

and on the bigger maps it's usually 40+FPS but sometimes gets lower than 40 when I'm up high and can see almost the whole map

Comment

sweet sounds good thanks guys... my parents are going on vacation soon so i'll prolly just pop 1 gig of ram in and purchase the game and hopefully be playing under B4CK5T4B soon enough!

Comment

pentium 4 3.1 will hardly get you over 35 fps tbh at low settings 800x600

Comment

3GHz P4 on Socket 478 board with 7950 AGP, maybe 1024x768 with 3-3 quality will be playable, but definitely cpu bound. May have to go lower than 3-3, but worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X