Used UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used UT3?

I have a question, my friend wants to get UT3 but he doesn't have $50, we've seen used ones for ~$30, on Amazon Marketplace. Our question is, if it's used, does that mean we won't be able to play online? Considering they provide us with everything (Box, manual, DVD, etc.). Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Where do you live?

As you mention $, this may not be any good for you, but if you were/are in the UK,

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3477...n/Product.html

I'm not 100% sure, but as long as you get the CD key (and it is valid) you should be OK

Comment

used is usually is not so good. The important part(the only part which matters nowadays) about the purchase is the cd-key, which will remain known to the original user. Not only he could continue to play it. But he could also use cheats on it, which, should anti-cheat functionality be implemented later, could get your both accounts banned. And should you later actually participate in some online ladder it will mark your name there as a cheater too(noone will believe that second hand copy story )

Comment

As long as the previous owner erases the game from his computer and doesn't keep the CD-key around, then it will be fine. Amazon marketplace, I don't konw much about it. But if you buy one off ebay, and make sure the seller has good, respectable feedback you don't have to worry about the previous owner being dishonest.

Comment

Always interesting to see that people are able to spend hundreds of dollars on a computer (or console for that matter) but not being able to pay a fraction of that for a game.

Anyway, never buy 2nd hand games that rely on a CDKey for online play. You'll get screwed most of the time.

Comment

I agree with elmuerte.
            Singleplay then fair enough,but if its for online and there`s no cd check for ut3.then the chances are he`s made a back-up of it to play himself and selling the orig.

I would rather buy an unopened one tbh.

Comment

Just depends who you buy from. If you are careless in choosing your merchant, then yeah you probably will get screwed. That's how shady people make their money, there's a sucker born every minute.

Just buy from a respectable merchant on ebay. Check the feedback of the seller. If he has a great feedback rating, he's an honest merchant, and is not going to risk messing up his hard earned feedback rating with a nasty negative over a measly $30.

For example: I sell my old games on ebay. I have 92 100% positive feedback. I want to continue selling games on ebay, and any negatives look bad, especially when the person who leaves the negative will surely be explicit about why he's upset. I'm honest, but presume I wasn't. I still would NEVER sell a game and keep a copy because I don't want to screw up a source of income.

But if you would buy one on Craig's list, you should stick to retail.

Comment

Oh well, thanks guys. It's just that I've been bragging to him about UT3 for so long that he really wants to get it, I'll tell him to just wait until he has enough for a new copy which are pretty cheap too if you know where to look, always nicer to have that 'new' feeling. UT3 was the first game I had bought in about 2-3 years

Comment

here it is for $39 from a totally reputable dealer in NY, with cheap shipping its only $42 - very worth it and im sure you can find similar deals around...

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4205311

Comment

Originally posted by elmuerte View Post
                    Always interesting to see that people are able to spend hundreds of dollars on a computer (or console for that matter) but not being able to pay a fraction of that for a game.

Anyway, never buy 2nd hand games that rely on a CDKey for online play. You'll get screwed most of the time.
                    A couple UT99 CTF player friends of mine would buy UT3 if the price were lower; they don't want to shell out $50 for a game that has relatively low player counts and that seems unfinished. (I paid $57 for my Collector's Edition two days after its release and knew what I was getting into.)

I did buy one used game once, Tribes 2, and then I had to e-mail Vivendi or whoever and ask them to reset the key, which they did.

Comment

I would NEVER buy a used game which you plan to play online (meaning it needs a cd key) that requires you to put total trust in a stranger that they won't continue to use the cd key for themselves.

I got the collectors edition for £17.99 on play.com - can't argue with that price

Comment

Working...
                      X