Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    yes, for UT3 it is, but not for HD DVD playback.
    [/url]
    hd dvd is dying fast. bluray has almost won, I wouldn't get a drive for either yet though, because most people wouldn't be using them for quite a while and the prices have no where to go but down. I guess if your pc is what you use to play movies then it'd be justified though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's a freeware version of 3dMark. It doesn't do everything the full version does, but it will benchmark just fine. You can find it at the official page I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Devil_Spawn View Post
    do your own benchmarks, try 3dmark, the ut3 benchmarking utility, and any other games benchmark, and find out which one is better in your system

dont forget to report any findings back to us!
    Don't I have to pay for 3dMark?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I run UT3 at 100% maxed settings, all graphics jacked up and full post-processing on my 7900GS at 640x512, 60+ FPS constant. Running at my monitor's native 1280x1024 drops it to its knees, though. Resolution is the biggest factor in framerate here. But I'll be honest. I don't think I'll be needing to upgrade my video card to enjoy this game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    do your own benchmarks, try 3dmark, the ut3 benchmarking utility, and any other games benchmark, and find out which one is better in your system

dont forget to report any findings back to us!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by XHavoc View Post
    So I guess I should swap out my 8500 GT with my 7600 GS?
    Here's the thing. People have said yes, people have said no, but no one who posted really knows for sure or has anything to back it up. There are two ways you can find out for sure:

1. Search the internet for benchmarks/review of the two cards.
    2. Test it for yourself. It's easy enough to switch them out. Use fraps to benchmark.

Personally, I think if there is a difference it's negligible and thus isn't worth the effort of looking into it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just do what I did. Get 2 8600GTs. Run them in SLi. I run the game 1440x900 (max) without a single hickup...ever.

You can get the cards for under $100 a piece usually.

The only game that I can't seem to run max is Crysis (go figure)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So I guess I should swap out my 8500 GT with my 7600 GS?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your saying that my 7600 GS will run UT3 better then my 8500 GT?
    Hmm...

I heard sayings that a 7300GT can rape a 8500GT in some cases, and a 7600GS, even though using DDR2 RAM, is moderately faster than the 73GT.

If you're thinking of an upgrade, don't. Definitely not worth it, and virtually a downgrade.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    bump.............?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post

Do yourself a favor and read this;
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/...february_2008/

The very low end cards include the 8500GT, 8400GT, and 2400XT
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3128&p=2
    Your saying that my 7600 GS will run UT3 better then my 8500 GT?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    what would you recommend? I'm on a low budget. Oddly enough, though, I'm trying to figure out why, apparently, my 7600 GS is better then my 8500GT?

Do yourself a favor and read this;
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/...february_2008/

The very low end cards include the 8500GT, 8400GT, and 2400XT
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3128&p=2

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The people at the xfire forums appear to be wrong, at least strictly on specifications. The two cards have mostly the same stats, except a few advantages the 8500 has, as I mentioned above. Perhaps the 8500 doesn't perform as well, but that would almost have to be a driver issue (if it's even the case).

The 8800 GT may dip below $200 if you are willing to wait a month or two. It's definately worth it. It's a smoking card. The 8600 GT is about $100 and the 8800 GT is about $240. nvidia doesn't offer much in between, except ramped up versions of the 8600. But it's still based on 128 bit memory, so if you want to spend the entire $200 on as much performance as you can, you can do better than any 8600. The 3850 as XEDR recommends is a fine card, somewhere between the 8600 GTS and 8800 GT. The 3850 is 256-bit which is what you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    $200?

Get a Radeon 3850 512MB (Newegg selling for $180). Smokes the 8600GTS (2x the performance of that)
    Just sayin- A 8600GTS is already almost twice as fast as a 8500GT.

nVidia's 8800s haven't gone below 200 yet, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i asked over at the Xfire forums and someone said that the 7600 GS was better then the 8500GT. Also, my budget is, at max; $200

Leave a comment:

Working...
X