No announcement yet.

PS3 vs. PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm... like the other dude said, since ps3 version is slower than the pc version it might be a bit akward for pc players to play against ps3 keybrd and mouse players...

Comment

Between kb+m players and really good gamepad users, ps3 could put up a fight against PC on most pubs, easily. Auto-aim would definitely have to be removed from those using kb + m on ps3-- that'd be a ridiculous advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by sHoTDoGGed View Post
        Katrina that is a very good point and your right i did overlook the fundamentals of stick movement. Im surprised no-one said anything sooner tbh!

What i was trying to say was that a mouse provides higher accuracy at lower sensitivity without losing (or at least, losing very little) speed. Granted comparing a mouse and a stick in the way i did was probably a mistake but i was just trying to get the advantages of a mouse across. I guess if a stick had a very wide range of speeds then it could theoretically perform as well as a mouse thus removing the mouses advantage.

BUT! My example of mousemats still holds strong. Even though the two methods work differently, you still have to be able to quickly and accurately maintain a very exact tilt on the stick or move your mouse to a very specific point on the mat. Now if you have a large mat then this is just easier than a small mat. And while the stick tilt controls speed of movement it is still harder to select the correct speed simply because the base is smaller and the user must be more accurate.

So in effect what i am saying is that with a mouse it is easier to get to a competitive level that with a stick. If someone has godlike control over a stick then they will match a masterful or Inhuman mouse user because the skill needed to aim at a decent level with the mouse is less.

This is all speculation of course. And it just means that if someone does get incredibly good with a stick then their victories over a mouse will be that much more impressive. However a godlike mouse user > a godlike stick user.

And just so people don't get upset i'm not wanting to start any flaming or a war over which is better. I just want a discussion based on facts. Coz everyone loves discussions! After all, that is what we are here for.
        Mouse definitely has the potential for reaching X 'skill' level sooner, and I can't really say if any controllers are configured right for optimum use (this would probably be the most detrimental aspect of a controller), but if anything, that's supplimenting a lack of skill.

I certainly don't mind if most people prefer to use keyboard/mouse rather than controller. It's certainly understandable that people who've been doing PC FPS games for a long time would be used to keyboard/mouse in the first place. I'm mostly just bothered by people who are unfairly biased against controllers, including people who make FPS games. Configuring UT2k4 to work with a controller was annoying, but I still haven't found how to do that for UT3 yet. Ever tried playing an FPS using a laptop's touchpad mouse? That relaly gets into what you were talkign about with mousepad size.

Anyway, I do have one thing that runs counter to your comment that mouse is easier to reach a competitive level on. In general, it probably is; but not all people work the same. The main reason I can't use a mouse is I simply don't have enough control over the movement of my hand/forearm, nor am I steady enough, and it's not the kind of thing that practice can remedy, and I really doubt I'm the only person who has these kinds of problems.

The people making these games need to provide full controller support and more intuitive controller configuration options. It'd certainly make me more inclined to buy the game (I've been trying out my bf's copy to determine if I actually want to bother spending the money on this game...and so far, it ain't worth it to me).

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Katrina View Post
          Mouse definitely has the potential for reaching X 'skill' level sooner, and I can't really say if any controllers are configured right for optimum use (this would probably be the most detrimental aspect of a controller), but if anything, that's supplimenting a lack of skill.

I certainly don't mind if most people prefer to use keyboard/mouse rather than controller. It's certainly understandable that people who've been doing PC FPS games for a long time would be used to keyboard/mouse in the first place. I'm mostly just bothered by people who are unfairly biased against controllers, including people who make FPS games. Configuring UT2k4 to work with a controller was annoying, but I still haven't found how to do that for UT3 yet. Ever tried playing an FPS using a laptop's touchpad mouse? That relaly gets into what you were talkign about with mousepad size.

Anyway, I do have one thing that runs counter to your comment that mouse is easier to reach a competitive level on. In general, it probably is; but not all people work the same. The main reason I can't use a mouse is I simply don't have enough control over the movement of my hand/forearm, nor am I steady enough, and it's not the kind of thing that practice can remedy, and I really doubt I'm the only person who has these kinds of problems.

The people making these games need to provide full controller support and more intuitive controller configuration options. It'd certainly make me more inclined to buy the game (I've been trying out my bf's copy to determine if I actually want to bother spending the money on this game...and so far, it ain't worth it to me).
          Haha, yea i've tried UT99 with a touchpad. What's even worse is the fact that it was running at twice the speed! I can't say i had much fun

I suppose no matter how you look at the mouse\controller argument, it boils down to the amount of time that a player has used their chosen device. Tbh i'm sure if you practiced with the mouse, unless you had some physical handicap, then you could eventually improve. In much the same way that I could improve with a stick if i really wanted to. The problem is people become attached to what they know works for them and are very reluctant to change. It seems Epic need to notice this.

What exactly is the problem when it comes to configuring the controller for UT3? Did 2k4 just give you more options?

Comment

I just love these discussions when they are fact-based! It's a lot more fun to follow than the never-ending Xbox360 vs PS3 arguments! I've written this on the Finnish forums and I write it again: if UT3 had a support for wheel+pedals I think people would start arguing about whether the you should drive the tank on manual or automatic! I think the best proof for which device is better is the actual kill / death ratio.

Comment

I think the best proof for which device is better is the actual kill / death ratio.
              It would be if we had two similarly skilled players facing off against each other with different input devices.

Any European PC controller players fancy challenging me in a duel? =P

if UT3 had a support for wheel+pedals I think people would start arguing about whether the you should drive the tank on manual or automatic!
              Hahaha, manual ftw

Comment

Haha, yea i've tried UT99 with a touchpad. What's even worse is the fact that it was running at twice the speed! I can't say i had much fun

I suppose no matter how you look at the mouse\controller argument, it boils down to the amount of time that a player has used their chosen device. Tbh i'm sure if you practiced with the mouse, unless you had some physical handicap, then you could eventually improve. In much the same way that I could improve with a stick if i really wanted to. The problem is people become attached to what they know works for them and are very reluctant to change. It seems Epic need to notice this.

What exactly is the problem when it comes to configuring the controller for UT3? Did 2k4 just give you more options?
                I haven't looked into modifying the .ini files to configure my controller yet (I had to do that to some extent in UT2k4), but there's not even an option in UT3's client to click telling it to recognize that you're using a Joystick (on the Input page in UT2k4, there was a checkbox for Joystick), and there's absolutely nothing even remotely like what's there for configuring a mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Hmm well i know the new patch has a checkbox to enable joystick support. Maybe it has more options.

I PMd you btw.

Comment

[QUOTE=wickedsteve;25266252]"Skills are skills" but a sword has a longer reach than a dagger and a mouse can do things that a gamepad can not.[/QUOTE]

You can turn that same statement around when it comes to the mouse. I've been on both sides of the fence and the mouse does have better aim, the controller works better for manuvering which is as important in a game like this.

Comment

Plz wasn't 100+ threads about this enough?..

Comment

It would be if we had two similarly skilled players facing off against each other with different input devices.

Any European PC controller players fancy challenging me in a duel? =P
                        Who cares about the type of controller to use? I'm not gonna use a K&M on my console. I want to lay with my big coño *** on the couch...

Comment

Who cares about the type of controller to use?
                          Sorry i think you misunderstood me. Either that or i misunderstood you.

Comment

Working...
                          X