PS3 vs. PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 vs. PC

Ok this is probably a dumb question but, can people with a PC play against people with a PS3 online?

simple answer: no, although maybe later.

Comment

The PS3 version is slower than the PC one so its probably unlikely it will happen.

It would be nice to increase the population, but I would really hate to be on a controller against all those keyboard and mouse players :P

Comment

Originally posted by Lillien View Post
        The PS3 version is slower than the PC one so its probably unlikely it will happen.

It would be nice to increase the population, but I would really hate to be on a controller against all those keyboard and mouse players :P
        Well that is not really an issue for folks that are used to playing with console controllers ... there is one person that plays exclusively with the 360 gamepad and they do very well online. That person even created a thread about it to let people know if you have skills you have skills ... period. But anyway this is not a PC vs PS3 thread in the usual sense so no need to turn it into one. Both platforms are great and to each his own.

Comment

Actually a good kbm player will beat a good controller player. Flame

However it would help both communities so much that it would be great to see it happen. And you never know, i may be proved wrong.

Oh and the speed is not the issue. I've heard that the game can be sped up and there are PS3 servers available that run at the correct speed. It's patching that Epic has said is the problem. Patches happen much faster on PC than consoles. So they don't want to force PC players to wait for patches when there is no need. Maybe after the games reach a level Epic is happy with then they will reconsider. Remember that MS and/or Sony have to agree too.

Comment

"Skills are skills" but a sword has a longer reach than a dagger and a mouse can do things that a gamepad can not.

Comment

Originally posted by sHoTDoGGed View Post
              Actually a good kbm player will beat a good controller player. Flame

Oh I don't think sincreator would agree with you one bit. That gamer plays with only the 360 controller and kicks some major butt online. So really you don't need cross platform to see who is better ... just a game that supports the gamepad and then in the future some way to know that you are playing against either type of player online ... now that would be cool and solve this whole controversial fun issue once and for all. Especially if you saw this game being used in competitive gaming tournies and people are allowed to use whatever gaming input device they want. I can see it now ... all the Halo 2/3 and Gears of War players bringing their 360 controllers with them while UT veterans bring their gaming keyboards and mice ... let the games begin!

Comment

I can see it now ... all the Halo 2/3 and Gears of War players bringing their 360 controllers with them while UT veterans bring their gaming keyboards and mice ... let the games begin!
                Haha, sounds ace!

Yea i read that thread from sincreator and tbh i'd need to see a game before i judged it. I'm sure he is very good on PS3 (EDIT: I know i know, i was quickly corrected) but the versatility of a mouse just beats the anologue in my mind.

I should explain:

By versatility i mean the amount of control you have over your aim. You can turn at any speed you wish (not a set value somewhere between max/min values) for example. I myself use a "slightly below average" sensitivity, this helps me aim at mid > long distances as there is very little chance of a large movement. However if i want to do a 360 at super speed i still can.

I like to think of it as an area of movement. Imagine my mouse-mat was 36" * 36" (not really, just an example). And imagine that to do a 360 i drag from the center of the mat to the right hand edge. That would be 18" for a 360. So that means that for every inch i move 20 degrees. Now a mouse is extremely accurate so lets convert this to a millimeter as that would be a sensible value for a small mouse movement. We get 20/25.4 = 0.8. So every mm moves us 0.8 degrees. Thats an insane amount of accuracy for someone that can control it.

Now say my mat was only 2" * 2". 1" is the 360 range, so in millimeters that is 14.2 degrees every millimeter. Only a freak could bead a target reliably at this sort of sensitivity. Now imagine the area that an analogue can cover. It would be around an inch i think. In effect this means controllers must use deadzones and acceleration as well as an upper turn speed limit to try to maximize its area and usefulness. So do you turn slowly with a higher accuracy or do you turn quickly with less accuracy?

As a mouse user, i don't face this dilemma. I don't need acceleration which means the co-ordinate 25mm*25mm on my mousemat is ALWAYS going to end up with me looking at the same angle, regardless of how fast i choose to look there. There are no cutoff points or limits on turn speed, other than my physical ability to move my arm at the desired rate. There is no penalty for an extremely low sensitivity (read: high accuracy) other than a sore arm.

Sorry to rabble on but these were just the thoughts coming to my head. If anyone is still awake by this point then well done! I think you lasted longer than me!

EDIT : Lmao, how ironic. Half an hour after i started writing i clicked on "Post Quick Reply"!

Comment

sincreator plays on the PC, not the PS3, hence the significance.

Oh, and there are KB/M players on the PS3, it's supported.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up bclagge. I didn't realize he was a PC player that used a controller. Now i see the significance.

I know there are kbm players on PS3 though. Not sure where i caused confusion. It IS 4 in the morning here though so sorry if i messed anything up.

Comment

It wasn't you it was Lillien
                      Originally posted by Lillien View Post
                      It would be nice to increase the population, but I would really hate to be on a controller against all those keyboard and mouse players
                      I just didn't pay attention to who said what

Hope you don't have to work tomorrow, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sHoTDoGGed View Post
                        Haha, sounds ace!

Yea i read that thread from sincreator and tbh i'd need to see a game before i judged it. I'm sure he is very good on PS3 (EDIT: I know i know, i was quickly corrected) but the versatility of a mouse just beats the anologue in my mind.

I should explain:

By versatility i mean the amount of control you have over your aim. You can turn at any speed you wish (not a set value somewhere between max/min values) for example. I myself use a "slightly below average" sensitivity, this helps me aim at mid > long distances as there is very little chance of a large movement. However if i want to do a 360 at super speed i still can.

I like to think of it as an area of movement. Imagine my mouse-mat was 36" * 36" (not really, just an example). And imagine that to do a 360 i drag from the center of the mat to the right hand edge. That would be 18" for a 360. So that means that for every inch i move 20 degrees. Now a mouse is extremely accurate so lets convert this to a millimeter as that would be a sensible value for a small mouse movement. We get 20/25.4 = 0.8. So every mm moves us 0.8 degrees. Thats an insane amount of accuracy for someone that can control it.

Now say my mat was only 2" * 2". 1" is the 360 range, so in millimeters that is 14.2 degrees every millimeter. Only a freak could bead a target reliably at this sort of sensitivity. Now imagine the area that an analogue can cover. It would be around an inch i think. In effect this means controllers must use deadzones and acceleration as well as an upper turn speed limit to try to maximize its area and usefulness. So do you turn slowly with a higher accuracy or do you turn quickly with less accuracy?

As a mouse user, i don't face this dilemma. I don't need acceleration which means the co-ordinate 25mm*25mm on my mousemat is ALWAYS going to end up with me looking at the same angle, regardless of how fast i choose to look there. There are no cutoff points or limits on turn speed, other than my physical ability to move my arm at the desired rate. There is no penalty for an extremely low sensitivity (read: high accuracy) other than a sore arm.

Sorry to rabble on but these were just the thoughts coming to my head. If anyone is still awake by this point then well done! I think you lasted longer than me!

EDIT : Lmao, how ironic. Half an hour after i started writing i clicked on "Post Quick Reply"!
                        Your point would be very valid except for a major flaw. The joystick on a PS3 controller doesn't work like a mouse. With a mouse, you move it to point X and stop there, stopping the movement of your aiming. How fast your hand moves the mouse affects how fast your aim moves.

With a controller, the degree you tilt the stick off center affects the speed at which you aim while the direction away from center affects the direction your aim moves. You then release the joystick back to center position in order for your aim to stop moving.

For someone used to a ps3 controller who also has very good coordination with their fingers/thumbs, it's very easy to quick select a speed you're moving your aim, as well as easily adjust it. A very good mouse user may be able to avoid jerking wrong due to startled/sudden reaction, but they still have to deal with inertia when they start moving their mouse as well as when adjusting speed and stopping. Decreased sensitivity on the mouse also means higher rate of arm/hand/mouse movement required in order to make large aiming changes quickly, despite making small movements easy.

Now, joystick sensitivity could be a potential problem. In UT2k4, I could adjust my joystick's sensitivity to the point that just barely moving it off center sent me into high speed rotations, and it took a lot of trial and error to find the best sensitivity, but I'm sure the same holds true for those of you who customize your mouse sensitivity. I haven't had a chance to try to set up my controller for UT3 yet, so I don't know how readily it'll accept that. And really, that's the biggest issue with using a controller for a PC FPS game. Most companies stupidly don't put in good support for controllers because of idiotic bias based on traditional use of keyboard/mouse.

Comment

Originally there was bog talk of PC and PS3 joining forces and I was really excited.

However, i've had the PS3 since launch and barring just 2 games the servers have been awful and lag is a major issue.

UT3 is a great game for lack of lag and the publishers have done a great job BUT throw a PC in to the mix and I just dont think its feasible.. it might be asking just too much and the obline experience may be destroyed.

Still, so long as we have the choice as to what servers we join , like MotorStorm, then we can choose NOT to join the mixed servers should it ever happen.

Comment

Finaly got my ps3 working perfectly with my kb\mouse wireless logitech 3200mx, aIMING perfectly as on my pc on older ut!

But can we get patches somewhere for the ps3 for writing text while playing and use dodging and crouch mouvment with keyboard.. anyone

And still wiating for meeting pc players online on same servers, it would b nice!

Comment

Katrina that is a very good point and your right i did overlook the fundamentals of stick movement. Im surprised no-one said anything sooner tbh!

What i was trying to say was that a mouse provides higher accuracy at lower sensitivity without losing (or at least, losing very little) speed. Granted comparing a mouse and a stick in the way i did was probably a mistake but i was just trying to get the advantages of a mouse across. I guess if a stick had a very wide range of speeds then it could theoretically perform as well as a mouse thus removing the mouses advantage.

BUT! My example of mousemats still holds strong. Even though the two methods work differently, you still have to be able to quickly and accurately maintain a very exact tilt on the stick or move your mouse to a very specific point on the mat. Now if you have a large mat then this is just easier than a small mat. And while the stick tilt controls speed of movement it is still harder to select the correct speed simply because the base is smaller and the user must be more accurate.

So in effect what i am saying is that with a mouse it is easier to get to a competitive level that with a stick. If someone has godlike control over a stick then they will match a masterful or Inhuman mouse user because the skill needed to aim at a decent level with the mouse is less.

This is all speculation of course. And it just means that if someone does get incredibly good with a stick then their victories over a mouse will be that much more impressive. However a godlike mouse user > a godlike stick user.

And just so people don't get upset i'm not wanting to start any flaming or a war over which is better. I just want a discussion based on facts. Coz everyone loves discussions! After all, that is what we are here for.

Comment

Working...
                              X