DM-Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who died and made Deck king?
    I don't really like the new design. In fact, each progressive version, I dislike more.

Newly created maps FTW.

Comment

Originally posted by tewic View Post
      imo Deck is an awful map. Slow paced, promotes boring game play, simply because it has been played to death, nothing new happens on it any more.
      SLOW PACED??? Are you kidding? I find deck one of the fast maps deatmatch-wise! I personally havnt got bored of it yet, but then again I only played it from 2k4 onwards.

Torlan on the other hand is overplayed way more the deck. imo and needs to be removed from map vote OR map vote should grey out the last played map

Comment

What deck has over the other DM maps in UT3 is its distinct structure, Like Rankin, Campgrounds, Goose etc its layout is unforgettable, the flow is perfect and you can get better at playing the map (as opposed to just the game). Most UT3 DM maps are too complex/tight and become a series of kinda disjointed unmemorable areas, that are designed to (imo) try and level the playing field somewhat. This may just be a consequence of trying to create realistic (but its unreal) looking environments. I would like to see a slightly bigger, more 2K4 like version of Deck to counter some of the spammy DM gameplay you can get, but that goes for DM maps in general for me.

I'm hoping patch 2 makes custom maps online a possibility, then we all gain a clearer picture of what makes a good DM map for UT3.

Comment

Not a big fan of deck, the dm servers always have that one guy, camp at the top, time the belt then back up they go..

1v1.. not the kinda 'flow' i enjoy, lots of dead end kinda places a loong corridors.

Sentinal > deck

Comment

Originally posted by tewic View Post
            imo Deck is an awful map. Slow paced, promotes boring game play, simply because it has been played to death, nothing new happens on it any more.
            Deck gameplay is slow and boring only if you play it slow and boring
            However, I like the UT1 version of Deck better, because it doesn't have that stupid hallway between shock and flak.

Comment

Map is over rated and probably will be overplayed like rankin but rankin is a farr bettter map.

Comment

To hell with Deck. I really liked it in u1 and ut99 though. It was the first map where i actually won vs bots. Imho it totally lost its flow in ut2kx++.

Comment

IMO a map is slowpaced when it's long distance fight, since that's not action, that's just some boring "2d" point and click... and deck is plenty of hitscan because of the many big open areas.

In general I find maps boring when they have big areas promoting hitscan. Maps for real men is where you get in tight corridors and up close with some flak and rocket.

I play the map at a normal pace, but if you play it competetively then it gets kinda slow, most games I see is like 5-15 frags per game in 1on1, which is not much for UT3.

The map might be fine for FFA play, I wouldn't know as I don't really play that, but for serious 4on4 and 1on1 it's unbalanced, boring to watch and play.

The reason the map is still played is because most people are not bothered to play much to perform decent. Playing the same map as they have done for the past 10 years means that they can play on rutine and have to make no effort in improving at the game. Same reason that if a map gets into a mappoll for a longer time, then it stays in there, sure people hated the map in the start but when they've learnt it they can't be bothered to learn now ones again.

Obviously this is fine for ffa play as people should just play whatever makes them have fun in the game, but for what I find important, competetive 1on1 and 4on4, then it's horrible indicator of skill.

Comment

Deck has plenty of close combat, for example the lifts area has always been dominated by flak/rockets. If people get only 5 frags on Deck 1on1 then they either don't know how to play it or are just playing hide and seek. On UT1 Deck always has some of the highest fragcounts.
                    Compared to UT1 the hallway between flak and shock does slow the pace down a little as it gives more ways to hide and avoid the main area.

Comment

Originally posted by XEDR View Post
                      Who died and made Deck king?
                      I don't really like the new design. In fact, each progressive version, I dislike more.

Newly created maps FTW.
                      Well I partly agree with you, I like the one from ut3 better then deck-17 since it's a bit more like the old one but they still kept the patch behind the flak which sucks and now those (dunno how to call them tbh) 'fences' at the elevators are gone.. no need to time that jump correctly now :/

The first still is the best indeed!

Comment

2k4 was better i think the bio goop just dont cut it 4 me personally

Comment

Working...
                        X