Yet another video card thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another video card thread

I'm not a computer building newb, in fact I'm quite seasoned, rather my question is to those who have spent some times looking at and performing benchmarks.

I'm looking into a new video card. My current is an 8600gt oc, and while i thought it being a bargain, I can tell it's holding my system back on UT3 and other games.

My question is, what's a good Nvidia option within the 150-200$ range? I was looking at an MSI 8800GTS 320Mb card that looks great for only being 199 (179 w/rebate). I hear though that there are new and old GTS's. Could someone shed some light on that for me? I think it's the difference between a g80 chip and a g92 but I don't understand the specifics enough to really get why the g92 versions are over 100$ more expensive. How does the 8800GT factor into these as well?

Last question - would getting the 8800gts and selling my old card for like 40$ to a friend be a noticeable upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 320MB 8800 GTS is a terrible, terrible card for the price.

For a good card, you need to go just a hair above the $200 range, for the 8800 GT 256 MB. If you're gaming at low-resolutions without AA, its the best card you can get. The 8800 GT 512 MB is much more futureproof though, for around $250...

Comment

Define "low resolution".

I run at 1440x900. Anything lower is not in 16:10 aspect ratio, and my monitor makes it look squashed.

Comment

1920x1200, 1600x1200, and above are NOT low resolutions... everything else is.
        the 340 and 640 gts are on the g80 core (old)
        the 512 is on the g92 core (new)

the 8800gt is on the g92 core (new)
        there is no old 8800gt

the 9600, 9800gx2, and 9800gtx are supposed to be out at the end of the month which means price slashes.
        http://bp0.blogger.com/_RQy6cQPHSjc/...h/3dmark06.png
        benchmarks on the 9600

Comment

8800GT seems to be a good card, guess I'll wait for the prices to drop though, I really can't go much over 200$. Here's to hopes of price slashes! Heh.

Comment

Originally posted by element_45 View Post
            8800GT seems to be a good card, guess I'll wait for the prices to drop though, I really can't go much over 200$. Here's to hopes of price slashes! Heh.
            NVIDIA cards, honestly, tend to be discontinued before they see much of a pricedrop. =/

The 8800 GT 256 MB is supposed to be around the $200 range, but I'm not sure if its out yet.

I've seen my card, the 8800 GTS 640 MB, ebaying for under $200. I know because I've been checking to see if it was worth it to sell mine =P

If you're willing to take risks, used may be the way to go. Sometimes they aren't too old; people who have money to burn just want to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
              NVIDIA cards, honestly, tend to be discontinued before they see much of a pricedrop. =/

The 8800 GT 256 MB is supposed to be around the $200 range, but I'm not sure if its out yet.

I've seen my card, the 8800 GTS 640 MB, ebaying for under $200. I know because I've been checking to see if it was worth it to sell mine =P

If you're willing to take risks, used may be the way to go. Sometimes they aren't too old; people who have money to burn just want to upgrade.
              give ya 200 for it..

Comment

Originally posted by 13th_Disciple View Post
                give ya 200 for it..
                The GT is a better card =P

Comment

Maybe if I wait for a deal promotion, possibly a rebate, I could make http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130318 work. If I sell off my old card for like 40 bucks then that might put me in the sweet spot.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Maybe if I wait for a deal promotion, possibly a rebate, I could make http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130318 work. If I sell off my old card for like 40 bucks then that might put me in the sweet spot.

Thanks for the advice.
                    NP, happy to help. If you can get that card, you'll be happy for ages.

The 8800 GT 256 MB should be hitting soon. For most games, including UT3, it will offer pretty similar performance for around $200. But I imagine 256 MB will start to show its age by the end of the year =/

Comment

$150 - 200? get the 8800GS once it's out, which should be soon (if it's not already out). there's a few benchmarks around that show it's only a little bit behind the 8800GT but still a lot better than 8600GT. IIRC, it's in the middle of the 3850 and 3870, but a bit closer to 3870

btw, NCIXUS.com have the 8800GT 512mb for $188 after mail-in rebate. if you're canadian, then you can still get it for the same price on the canadian website (NCIX.com)

http://www.ncixus.com/products/27328...%20Technology/

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...y%20Technology

Comment

i know, you can't really afford it, (neither cud i) until - well
                        but..
                        Get the GT, GT GT!!!!
                        8800 GT GT GT GT!!!!

Comment

Define "low resolution".

I run at 1440x900. Anything lower is not in 16:10 aspect ratio, and my monitor makes it look squashed.
                          I have the 8800GT 256MB, and I love it. Reviews indicate it works well with Unreal Engine games at higher resolutions than yours. I use it at 1400x1050. See my previous post with links to information.

Comment

Well I've decided to take the plunge

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130325

I've got a friend who will buy my 8600gt for 40$ so after rebate that pushes me to 220$. I worked a fair share of overtime to cover this. From all the reviews on these cards it looks like I made a good choice.

Comment

Well I've decided to take the plunge

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130325

I've got a friend who will buy my 8600gt for 40$ so after rebate that pushes me to 220$. I worked a fair share of overtime to cover this. From all the reviews on these cards it looks like I made a good choice.
                              I was going to recommend the EVGA 8800 GTS 512 G92 also, as I just bought two of them 2 days ago for my computer. The price 4 days ago was 290 AFTER rebates, now it is 260 after rebates. Good deal, will review them in SLI in a few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X