strafe jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    i've been practising the dodging to the right and left be consatntly tappig the A ens D.
    it improved my KD ratio..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks 13th

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you've never seen a professional strafe-jumper in action then I encourage you to check out these vids!

http://www.own-age.com/vids/10696
    http://www.own-age.com/vids/12495

If you've tried some of the runs from those videos then you'll know how hard it is to master strafing and how impressive it is to see somebody who has. However, for practical purposes I'll take UT's dodging any day. It's a lot easier to dodge rockets than to circle jump out of the way. A free competitive game called Warsow has combined UT style dodging with Quake style strafe-jumping, which is pretty sick. Unfortunately the game is even less popular than UT3 is on the PC... :-(

Leave a comment:

• replied
    strafe-jumping is insanely fast and the preferred way of moving around, but you can't do it in UT. UT movement, especially UT1/3 movement feels clumsy and awkward with the way you have to keep tapping a key, but it's alright.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Posting a link to a UT2k3 guide is... confusing. Especially since that text seems to be old even for UT2003, using some odd terminology. (like "Running Wall Jump" for what was later called a "boostdodge"; this became irrelevant in UT2004)
    The basics of walldodging still apply though. Just tap the direction away from the wall and your character will kick off. You just won't be able to do a mid-air jump right after, and kicking off directly after a jump won't give you any extra distance either.

As for the original question: I doubt strafe jumping will work anything like it did in the Quake games. It's series staple there, but it never really worked in UT games because the physics driving the games were different.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by trized View Post
    How exactly do you wall dodge?
    http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/View...il&id=6&game=5

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How exactly do you wall dodge?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    in ut there is no strafe jumping the best way to move is called strafe running. basically dodging while running is the quickest way to get around on foot. (angle dodging while running)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    there is no strafe jumping in the UT series. UT3 removed dodge jumping. The fastest way to move in UT3 (assuming no vehicles) is to repeatedly use wall dodges.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kaluro View Post

He's talking about UT3 strafe jumping as far as I know, so I wouldn't have to play either one of those mentioned games in order to find out what strafe jumping is. I just need a simple definition!

Edit:

He's asking if strafe jumping, the movement you see quake 3 players use a lot, is faster in UT3 than dodging.

he's asking whether people strafe jump, and whether or not they think it's faster than dodging.

Those are my findings out of that rather weird text, so if that's not what he meant - Ignore my replies

Indeed, well I know some kinda Q3 vets and they say that strafe jumping is near unlimited-you can always speed up vyt there surely must be a human limit.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by woooo View Post
    Play Q3 or doom oir something and find out.
    He's talking about UT3 strafe jumping as far as I know, so I wouldn't have to play either one of those mentioned games in order to find out what strafe jumping is. I just need a simple definition!

Edit:

Originally posted by djmj View Post
    i am new to UT3, and it seems like Strafe jumping like in Quake3 give much more speed, and after any strafe jump you can dodge really quick.
    He's asking if strafe jumping, the movement you see quake 3 players use a lot, is faster in UT3 than dodging.

Originally posted by djmj View Post
    did someone noticed it ?, and is it really faster then dodging alltime ?
    he's asking whether people strafe jump, and whether or not they think it's faster than dodging.

Those are my findings out of that rather weird text, so if that's not what he meant - Ignore my replies

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kaluro View Post
    Strafe jumping? Could you define that for me please? Thanks.
    Play Q3 or doom oir something and find out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Strafe jumping? Could you define that for me please? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not sure but afaik dodging is still faster if performed well to move yourself arround. Ofcourse I only really played ut99 and ut3 so dunno how it feels to you

Leave a comment:

• started a topic strafe jumping

strafe jumping

In UT 2004 strafe jumping didnt worked or I never used it cause dodging was faster, (cause of the doubledodge)

But in UT dodging is limited to 1 additional jump, but i am new to UT3, and it seems like Strafe jumping like in Quake3 give much more speed, and after any strafe jump you can dodge really quick.

I am not that good at Strafe jumping, but did someone noticed it ?, and is it really faster then dodging alltime ?
Working...
X