Main Menu map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Menu map?

Is it possible to change the main menu map, to something else that will reduce the silly loading time of main menu to minimum?

I've been meaning to ask this. Hopefully it is is possible =/

Comment

What do you mean loading time of the main menu? The start up time from the splash to the main menu? If so, no. It will always take that much time as it is starting up the game. You can edit the .ini files to get rid of the product vids (Intel, Nvidia, etc.) at the beginning to make it a little quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by AcidVenom View Post
        What do you mean loading time of the main menu? The start up time from the splash to the main menu? If so, no. It will always take that much time as it is starting up the game. You can edit the .ini files to get rid of the product vids (Intel, Nvidia, etc.) at the beginning to make it a little quicker.
        No dude. There's a video rendered in the backround of the main menu screen, kind of like what valve does with their games. It's useless, and part of the reason UT takes so long to load. Replacing it with a white/gray pattern would hardly look any worse, and would load much faster.

Comment

Someone is working on UWindows 2. It may or may not help dependng on how successful they are so just keep an eye on it.

Comment

No, they mean the 3d map that needs to load every time you are at the main menu. The out of focus moving **** is a real time render, TF2 had this for a very short time in beta but was changed to a static background to drastically reduce first load time.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
              No, they mean the 3d map that needs to load every time you are at the main menu. The out of focus moving **** is a real time render, TF2 had this for a very short time in beta but was changed to a static background to drastically reduce first load time.
              Here's hoping Patch 2 will give us an option to get rid of it or just get rid of it completely. It always baffled me why it takes so long to load a stupid menu. It has to go.

Comment

Agreed, Waiting for a menu to load because of aesthetic reasons is so lame.

Comment

Originally posted by AcidVenom View Post
                  They mean that when you want to go to the main menu...nothing should have to load--you should be able to open up the main menu and server browser almost instantaneously--just like in UT99 and UT 2004.

Having to wait to load the Main Menu is one of the biggest flaws in the user interface. Also, if you want to pull up the server browser, you have to leave the server you're on and load the Main Menu. (In contrast, in UT99 and UT 2004, if you wanted to check out activity on other servers, you could go to the menu and pull up the server browser in, say, 2 seconds.)

The slow and clunky user interface is one of the big reasons why online player counts (for the PC) are so low for this game.

Comment

Originally posted by sHoTDoGGed View Post
                    Someone is working on UWindows 2. It may or may not help dependng on how successful they are so just keep an eye on it.
                    Unfortunately, by the time he's done with it, people will have probably long since moved on to other games and eBayed or forgotten about UT3.

Comment

I agree. It's pointless really, and if it does slow down loading the menu then I'll back getting rid of it.

It's so annoying having to wait ages to get back to the main menu after each offline match.

Comment

Long to load?

People are like really really impatient if 3 seconds is a long time

Comment

+1.

My GPU fans whirr full pelt in the menus - which is annoying, and means I have to turn off ut3 altogether if i've got something to do for a while, and I'm intending to return.

Comment

Working...
                          X