No announcement yet.

Ranking: How do you feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care about the ranking and Elo itself at all... it won't ever reflect "skill" properly, I just want a decent system that allows me to take a look at my personal stats from time to time, with as much info as possible.

Long story short, I want this back. Just click through player, gametype, server and match stats... such a huge step backwards in UT3. :/

Btw: Voted "Scrap all ranking", simply because I consider it useless.

Comment

I'm not even going to click your link, because I know what it is. I agree that the UT2k4 stat system was comprehensive, logical, well laid out and basically just a work of perfection. The UT3 system could have been designed by trained monkeys. But ultimately this poll is about the ranking system, not the stat system (not directly anyway).

Comment

I know that it's a tad off-topic (added my vote at the bottom to keep it on-topic, huh :P), but I just had a look at the old 2k4 stats since a long time and so I felt like posting them - not to bash UT3 or something, but to show those who haven't played the predecessor what stats can look like. :s

I'm sure that all this stuff is being tracked or could be tracked in UT3 anyway, I just don't get why Enemydown and the ingame community stats give so poor information. Also more lucid stats would make the ranking more comprehensible, imo.

Comment

As long as we're mildly off topic anyway... ...I don't understand it either. I used to check my game stats at the end of the day to see how I did in each game, who killed me how many times and look at the colorful points graph. I miss doing that Oh well, perhaps one day they will implement it.

Comment

Hehe, I did exactly the same thing after each long and intense ONS game. Looking up the match stats, checking my sprees and who ended them, looked for the tank and manta whores in the specific stats, checking who played the most efficient, of course looking at the nice graphs etc... :>

Yeah, I miss that. :/

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
              If you voted for this (scrap all ranking) then I have an easy solution for you, one that doesn't require everyone else to give it up. Stop paying attention to rank.
              I don't and still want it removed because it turns people into retards, or brings out peoples inner ****** maybe.

Comment

lol I did exactly the same with the 2K4 stats
                Just to see if I did better or worse. And if it was a really close n extensive fight, check the other players. Ohh God it was so easy n so good back then. Was a great tool that.

Comment

What I'd want to know, on the scoreboard, is the ranking of the others who are playing against me.

It helps everybody if they know the skill of their opponents. If you now you're up against one of the top 50 players in the world, you won't be surprised and won't get annoyed about loosing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathmooN View Post
                    One change I'd make is to make refer to it in all caps, like ELO...

It's just Elo. The letters don't stand for anything.
                    Check wikipedia. It's 'officially' written as all caps. But thanks.

Comment

"Elo" is often written in capital letters (ELO), but it is not an acronym. It is the family name of the system's creator, Arpad Elo (19031992, born as Élő Árpád), a Hungarian-born American physics professor.
                      "Often written" in no way implies it is the correct way. Seeing as it's not an acronym, but in fact based on the name of the creator, Arpad Elo, it should be written Elo, not ELO. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                        What I'd want to know, on the scoreboard, is the ranking of the others who are playing against me.

It helps everybody if they know the skill of their opponents. If you now you're up against one of the top 50 players in the world, you won't be surprised and won't get annoyed about loosing.
                        Displaying rank in game would lead to elites looking for servers with top ranked players only, to protect rank, plus avoidance amongst others lower down. It's pretty easy to tell who is any good within seconds of starting.
                        What we do need is a list of players/scores when server browsing as in 2k4,why less info for UT3 was deemed an advancement baffles everybody. The graphics may be next gen but everything else seems like a step back from ut2004.

Comment

I wouldn't call the current ranking system a real "leaderboard". There's one simple solution... just use the HIGHEST OVERALL STATS - meaning...from the number of kills with a impact hammer to number of flags scored...everything should be counted.
                          The idea of having seperate leaderboards for each game mode is a bit much, all you need is one. Although I guess i wouldn't mind that...anything would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                            "Often written" in no way implies it is the correct way. Seeing as it's not an acronym, but in fact based on the name of the creator, Arpad Elo, it should be written Elo, not ELO. IMHO.
                            "Often written" doesn't imply it's the incorrect way, either.

For the record it isn't the only "acronym" (or example of initialism) that doesn't expand. Microsoft's XNA, for example, which eventually was awarded the expansion "XNA Not Acronymed".

Or the PC game STALKER which goes as far as to put periods between every letter. Or the company, ATARI. Similarly, scuba and laser and similar common use acronyms should 'technically' be written all caps. And Americans should stop spelling "laser" with a "z"

It's not a rule. In this case as in many others, common use dictates the 'correct' use. IMHO.

Now can we get back on topic, unless you want to browbeat the point?

Comment

Working...
                            X