Tired of playing without teamwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I play TDM and a little CTF. My problems with teamplay do not revolve around lack of teamwork, but basic do's and don'ts regarding teammate physical interaction.

These relate to TDM, but could apply to any team based game.

-- Teammates spamming you affecting your ability to move properly.

Many new players realize they can't damage their teammates with FF off, so they aren't very concerned with hitting them. BUT, they don't realize that their splash damage can pin you to the ground. This of course means you can't move and makes you very vunerable to enemy fire.

-- Too close to other teammates.

When two teammates are close together, they are likely to run/dodge into each other. Try to keep a reasonable distance from your teammate. Bumping into your teammate causes you to be where your not expecting to be causing disorientation. This in turn sets up the opponent for a double kill.

This is also very frustrating when your teammate jumps right in front of you while you're winding up rockets or using shock secondary. All the time I have teammates jump in front of me only to cause me to suicide. On the flip side, I have counted twice where I have accidently done this, and I have quite a few hours on this game so far.

-- Over aggressiveness

Can't tell you how many times I've been fighting an opponent only to have a teammate spawn and start charging my opponent by running at him in a straight line with an enforcer.

There are times to stay in the background and let your teammate do most of the work.

-- Blocking off your teammate

This typically occurs in a map with narrow hallways. You're engaging an opponent and you're getting low on health, ammo, or you're just simply out-numbered. You're trying to back out and get away only to have a teammate who wants to get to the action block you off. Neither one of you gain ground and are stuck in a narrow hallway/doorway. BOOM double kill.

Yield to your teammates trying to get out of the action! Back up and let them get through. If they die it's -1 for the team!

-- Shooting over your teammates shoulder

This can be quite aggravating. When a teammate starts shooting over my shoulder my first reaction is to turn around and blast them thinking they are an opponent. This means I may have to disengage my opponent to see what's going on behind me. It also means I may shoot my teammate affecting his ability to move properly.

If you're far behind your teammate, try to get way over to the side of him when engaging the same opponent. Or if you're almost just behind your teammate, wait until you can get to his side or in front of him so he can recoginze you.

-- Standing on weapons

You'd think this wouldn't happen too much but it seems to happen frequently. A teammate goes to grab a weapon and stands on it. You spawn next to the weapon and need to get it, but can't because he is standing on it. I've had to pull out the hammer and knock them off it so I could get it! This seems to happen a lot at the flak in heat ray.

-- Balancing teams

5 vs 8 the other day and was on the losing team. Winng team was asked to balance multiple times. Didn't do it and the score was 100/3x. This has been the only time I have been mad and let them know it with some colorful words. Usually, I'm very positive and happy

Do some players care so much about their stats they are willing to play that one-sided of a game? geez.

These issues are sometimes difficult to adhere to depending on the circumstances, but can make the game much less frustrating for your teammates when kept in mind.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeah i agree.. the browser is horrible... I dont get it. If i look for ctf games (insta and nw), i only see 2 servers with people on it :S. Thats terrible! And weird, since there are like hundreds of people on #ut3.ictf... I always see the same people, and they are already in a clan

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well its kinda hit or miss when playing pubs.. of course its more fun to have cover and teamwork and goodsports to play with but you cant always find that in a pickupgame. sometimes you get lucky though. i play mostly CTF and its important to have at least some teamwork for games to be fun and usually the populated servers have at least some good players so i can enjoy some late night hours without too much deathmatch breaking out around the flags

thats one of the big reasons we need the browser and friends features to work better.
    since ut2003 we've been able to search for friends and players we know we like to play with, to find clan tags so we can look for good players online - now that those features are broken it makes it tough... hopefully the next couple patches will get us fixed up!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i had some fun teamwork this afternoon.. people boosting each other and some cover. Team chats and one guy with the flag even feigned death so i could score (i died just in front of our flag). But all these guys are already in a clan... Maybe i should just join a clan instead of starting one...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    QW:ET has brilliant team-based integration. The voice chat is definitely a factor, but that game is built around the concept of the team in that there are specific classes with specific objectives, and also the formation of fire teams etc.

It is truly difficult to co-ordinate in UT3 when you see half your team running straight to the fastes vehicle and legging it while the orb has just spawned. Then you are tempted to type abuse at them while you stand about with the orb...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i think that there could be tons more teamwork if the built in voice chat was a lot better. TF2 and ETQW have tons of teamwork because the voicechat works great and makes it easy to talk to people.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok i believe its possible, but im not playing with vehicles, i play iCTF. And of course you will get some cover if you have the flag, but i just want to play real clanmatches again. Thats still very different then public games

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cleepa View Post
    Sometimes you have to create your own teamwork. When I get in a fast vehicle, I hang around for a second or two to see if someone wants a tow. If I see someone pull over and start healing their vehicle, I stop and help them. If I'm running ahead of an orb carrier and I see some armor, I let the orb carrier take it. It's really hard to coordinate in PUBs, but there are still things you can do to be a 'team player'.
    Thats what i do, you have to help the noobs even if you are one. If i come first on a warfare server then people jump into the passenger seats more often.

People often watch your back, ive been saved by snipers several times.
    If you play like your in a clan match then people will follow your example.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The thread was about me missing the teamwork and fun i had with ut2k4, when i played clanmatches. Im trying to start a new clan so i can play good 5vs5 matches. So its meant to recruit players (:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I thought this thread was about teamwork.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cleepa View Post
    Sometimes you have to create your own teamwork. When I get in a fast vehicle, I hang around for a second or two to see if someone wants a tow. If I see someone pull over and start healing their vehicle, I stop and help them. If I'm running ahead of an orb carrier and I see some armor, I let the orb carrier take it. It's really hard to coordinate in PUBs, but there are still things you can do to be a 'team player'.
    Agree. Whenever I see people displaying that kind of understanding and cooperation in public games the matches are always much more enjoyable for it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i know there is a scene and not only public servers. It's just hard to have enough players around you to start a clan. I was part of the iBR and iCTF community @ 2k4, but with ut3 it's a different story. Most people i play with at pickup servers (pugs ) are already in a clan.

I think the best solution for me to have fun, organized games with lots of teamwork, is to start a clan. Then we can sign up to ladders, cups and hang around IRC. I can just arrange clanmatches and while we play we will get to know each other better. So far it's barry, me, a french mate i know since 2k3 and i have ONE pm from a UK guy that is interested...

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is exactly the problem. Martin exemplifies it (its not your fault Martin).

There is an entire clan/competitive scene, but the average player has absolutely no idea. Epic could do so much to facilitate this but they sit on their thumbs per usual. For the uninitiated:

pubs = public games, the servers you see in the server browser; random players doing whatever they want
    pugs = pick up games, more skilled players get together in IRC channels and form pick up teams, get on voice (teamspeak or ventrillo) and go play on private servers
    scrims = scrimmages between clans (facilitated again, via IRC)
    ladders/leagues = official matches between clans

IRC is the vehicle everyone in UT tends to use to facilitate anything other than a pub. For North American players, we tend to use irc.gameradius.org. Channels are #ut3ctf, #ut3tdm (I forget the IG channel, but if you ask in either of those channels someone'll know). Euro players use Quake net I believe?

If you want to play better players, or experience teamwork, voice communication etc, come pug. Let people know you're a newb to pug'n and they'll be forgiving.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What are pugs :P ?
    And i wont just let anyone join. They dont have to be extremely good, but they have to be fun and play smart for the team. I recruited the same way for my 2k4-clan and that became a great and fun team (:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X