Orb Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s8nskeep View Post
    I don't play warefare BECAUSE of the Orb. Neither do my ONS buddies that were looking forward to UT3. They've all bought the game, but just don't play it.
    well there is a no orb mutator, so what is the real reason?

Comment

The discussion here is pretty pointless. I think it's in everyones interest that something is done about the game. The problem is that there is very few people playing it, and to do the Baghdad-Bob and say "there is nothing wrong with the game, the noobs just have to learn how to play it" is NOT the way to go if you really want to see the game type survive. If there is no public interest in a game type it will die, just look at vanilla CTF or DDOM in 2k4. Competitive players liked it but it wasn't interesting on the random pubs. At the same time, as Cobi said, I don't think minor tweaks of specific game elements is the solution either, and arguing over futilities will just throw the game further down the hill.

The problem is that Epic didn't care to listen to the community that had come up with a lot of good ideas on how to improve the game type over the years, and instead threw in new gimmicks and gave it a new name at the same time as they removed many of the things that made ons fun. The WAR fans can sit there saying "just learn to deal with it" and watch the game die, people play games for fun not as a career opportunity aight? Mutators isn't a big help either, to get to play with the noO(r)b servers has to be set up and they need to reach critical mass on the visitors, but the people who would like to play there isn't even watching the server browser because they have gone elsewhere.

Argh I'm ranting.. Just hope that the WAR fans understand that even if a game of WAR with good competitive players works it doesn't mean **** for the general public, and if they truly want to see the game type survive they have to sit down a few minutes and try to figure out why nobody is playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3leggedFreak View Post
        The discussion here is pretty pointless. I think it's in everyones interest that something is done about the game. The problem is that there is very few people playing it, and to do the Baghdad-Bob and say "there is nothing wrong with the game, the noobs just have to learn how to play it" is NOT the way to go if you really want to see the game type survive. If there is no public interest in a game type it will die, just look at vanilla CTF or DDOM in 2k4. Competitive players liked it but it wasn't interesting on the random pubs. At the same time, as Cobi said, I don't think minor tweaks of specific game elements is the solution either, and arguing over futilities will just throw the game further down the hill.

The problem is that Epic didn't care to listen to the community that had come up with a lot of good ideas on how to improve the game type over the years, and instead threw in new gimmicks and gave it a new name at the same time as they removed many of the things that made ons fun. The WAR fans can sit there saying "just learn to deal with it" and watch the game die, people play games for fun not as a career opportunity aight? Mutators isn't a big help either, to get to play with the noO(r)b servers has to be set up and they need to reach critical mass on the visitors, but the people who would like to play there isn't even watching the server browser because they have gone elsewhere.

Argh I'm ranting.. Just hope that the WAR fans understand that even if a game of WAR with good competitive players works it doesn't mean **** for the general public, and if they truly want to see the game type survive they have to sit down a few minutes and try to figure out why nobody is playing it.
        If Epic change the game to match popular opinion all the time, then we will end up with Counter-Strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
          If Epic change the game to match popular opinion all the time, then we will end up with Counter-Strike.
          Indeed... I already see myself buying a Shock Rifle before the match starts and staring at my virtual medals and honours at the scoreboard. >.<

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
            Thank you for not getting the point at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerus View Post
              well there is a no orb mutator, so what is the real reason?
              Show me a Europe server that has the no Orb mutator and has other people playing on it please.

Comment

I have no illusions that changing the orb will magically sway the numbers of online players nor that the orb by itself is the only reason that not too many people are playing it, however, some people do and minimally it should be listened to as they could be right. Whether or not 3% is the correct number or not is not relevant, its pretty clear that UT3 is nowhere near as popular as UT's previous incarnations and that in itself should be a warning sign to everybody that has a vested interest in this game.

The point that continues to be missed is that very fact, this game is by all possible measurements a dead duck. Doing nothing and letting it whither away may be the humane thing to do however clearly that is not the desired outcome by many. I am not interpreting the voices of those here that want to see change as forcing personal opinions on anybody, especially from the likes of Helf. He is quite clear in identifying what is and what is not his personal opinion in most if not all of his posts. The opposite is true, its the fans of UT3 that continue with the personal attacks.

At the end of the day, numbers don't lie guys. At the very least, looking at it from a purely objective point of view, you have to admit that there is "something" wrong here. It may not be the orb but something, no?

A very large, prominent and historically successful UT community, namely Cain's Lair, has torn down its UT3 server from lack of activity. This is a place that hosted one of the most popular UT2K4 ONS and CTF servers on the planet. If that's not a warning shot over the bow, I don't know what is.

Comment

Its the newer, realism shooter generation catching up..
                  Maybe this was why Gears did so well?
                  Gears was something unique to the genre, but wasnt too unique that it drove the away the attention of a general audience?

Barely scratching the surface, the generic story of fighting off a bunch of alien invaders is bound to be a flop.
                  I guess its the content, among other things, that is put into the game that gives it substance..

I think UT3 is going to see some revival when it comes to 360

Comment

from the first day this game came out it was "this" was wrong or "this" or "that". hundreds of reasons. if you listen to all the complaints you might even think this is the worst game of 2007. and if you tryed any other game it is clearly not.

complaints and complaints. suggestions and suggestions. the truth is it's impossible to deal with all the suggestions. make those suggestions come true then some people will be happy then other people won't be happy.

maybe please most people then ? this is what happened with UT3. people that liked UT99 got a strong rocket launcher and people from UT2k4 got a powerful flack cannon. but then big surprise. most people prefer to stinger down wtf ???

people complaining about slow weapon switching from the demo. this has been fixed. now it's fast as 2k4. did people stop complaining ?

no

complaints went over. the only difference is that now it's a different subject.

complaints all over the place >_>

to be honest before i came here i never imagined there could be complaints about something like the orb.

complaints about anything. this is as crazy as this has gone. today the orb. what tomorrow ?

imagine "orb haters" are right. the orb is overpowered. would complaining and complaining over and over and over here resolve everything ? will ut3 be as popular as 2k4 ? no it will just split the community even more.

many people don't realise a band's talent before they die. players don't realise what great game is in front of them.

Comment

unfortunatley most humans find it very hard to reverse a first impression once their mind is made up its made up, changing it is like admitting you were wrong in the first place and everyone likes to think they are right. Im afraid the problem is not the game but human nature, ut3 just needed to make a really good first impression like ut2k4 did with its ONS which at the time was totally new and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by SpineShanK View Post
                        from the first day this game came out it was "this" was wrong or "this" or "that". hundreds of reasons. if you listen to all the complaints you might even think this is the worst game of 2007. and if you tryed any other game it is clearly not.

complaints and complaints. suggestions and suggestions. the truth is it's impossible to deal with all the suggestions. make those suggestions come true then some people will be happy then other people won't be happy.

maybe please most people then ? this is what happened with UT3. people that liked UT99 got a strong rocket launcher and people from UT2k4 got a powerful flack cannon. but then big surprise. most people prefer to stinger down wtf ???

people complaining about slow weapon switching from the demo. this has been fixed. now it's fast as 2k4. did people stop complaining ?

no

complaints went over. the only difference is that now it's a different subject.

complaints all over the place >_>

to be honest before i came here i never imagined there could be complaints about something like the orb.

complaints about anything. this is as crazy as this has gone. today the orb. what tomorrow ?

imagine "orb haters" are right. the orb is overpowered. would complaining and complaining over and over and over here resolve everything ? will ut3 be as popular as 2k4 ? no it will just split the community even more.

many people don't realise a band's talent before they die. players don't realise what great game is in front of them.
                        Sounds like you're complaining. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dinkledorf View Post
                          Sounds like you're complaining. :-)
                          maybe i am

but this is my last complain

Comment

I think comparing online numbers with 2k4 is a bit pointless at the mo, the UT2004 ONS demo included probably the best map in ONS, it's like the UT3 demo having Downtown and Onyx coast (maybe it should've done). I'd say that I think all the signs are that the game is gaining more acceptance & selling better than it was. Personally I've had to stop playing online, at least until I get a solution for my constant disconnection problems(in the next patch hopefully), There may be hundreds in the same position... waiting to jump back in.

Comment

... also I read that the 2k4 server stats include bots, which UT3's stats don't. Lots of 2k4 servers that are filled with bots all day, pushes the stats quite a bit. :P

Comment

Being able to destroy with heavy weaponry would be good but otherwise leave them as is

Comment

Working...
                                X