Split the ranking system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split the ranking system?

The ranking system -was it synchronised at the start? I mean with different launch dates; cos the US got the game before Europe they established themselves in all the top positions, so rank 1 was playing rank 2 ... right down to the hundreds who started.

Likewise, Europe's best play only each other and may be better players than much higher ranked US players(who they never play due to the ping issue) but they play from lower ranked starting positions, vis a vis the top ranked US players who took(and still hold) all the top ranked positions simply by virtue of starting first and never playing us lot in the EU, therefore not putting their rank at risk.

This is where Elo falls down for FPS compared to its use in chess or an RPG ,chess and RPG being ping irrelevant , someone in India can play someone in europe or the US, the ranked No.1 player means something . We need one ranking for europe and one for the US, cos the players never play each other and yet the system assumes they do and they're all lumped together meaninglessly. It wouldn't be that hard to implement -a simple region tick box for server area.

Meh tbh screw the ranking system. It's a gimmick and nothing more and does NOT represent skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
      Meh tbh screw the ranking system. It's a gimmick and nothing more and does NOT represent skill.
      Indeed, that sums it up perfectly. A gimmick, not more.

Comment

Indeed.

Nontheless would be nice to see some of them old 2K4 stats back
        like >> Hours played, Efficiency, frags per hour, average time to live,
        Y'know the ones that actually gave you some indication of relative skill.

The fact that players with such poor ratios are in the top ranks is a bit of a farce also

Some might say these stats have been dumbed down.

I oc would not be one.

Comment

Well IMHO A ranking system or ( STATS ) suck. Why? In CTF and in VCTF Points dont win games FLAG CAPS DO!. I play those gametypes only. I play for the end result only! I could care less about stats or points!

Comment

Originally posted by Spank$hot_BT View Post
            Indeed.

Nontheless would be nice to see some of them old 2K4 stats back
            like >> Hours played, Efficiency, frags per hour, average time to live,
            Y'know the ones that actually gave you some indication of skill.

The fact that players with such poor ratios in the top ranks is a bit of a farce also

Some might say these stats have been dumbed down.

I oc would not be one.
            I concur... just take a look at the 2k4 stats, they are so lucid and clear. :/ Any infos you need is there, including playtime, overall stats for specific gametypes, weapons ordered by amount of kills etc...

Really a step backwards. Btw, the 2k4 stats can't represent "skill" either tbh. Even there the playtime is the best way to get a high rank.

Comment

They were a good representation when used as local stats for the DM server i used to play on. The ranking was fairly accurate reflection imo leo.

What i actually meant was with stats like efficiency etc you could get a better understanding of a players relative skill even if the actually rank was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by D2F[Leo] View Post
                I concur... just take a look at the 2k4 stats, they are so lucid and clear. :/ Any infos you need is there, including playtime, overall stats for specific gametypes, weapons ordered by amount of kills etc...

Really a step backwards. Btw, the 2k4 stats can't represent "skill" either tbh. Even there the playtime is the best way to get a high rank.
                True, but the 2k4 "recent matches" shows who they've been playing(good clue as to skill level) ,graphs showing every player's frag rate against time - everything, more detail than enough for the statistician in all of us wish we could get that back tbh.

Comment

Yup. Especially if you do support-related actions, like healing vehicles, supporting flag runs, and guarding nodes with orbs. I went on a support frenzy, lately, and, while my team won every game, my personal ranking and stats plummeted.

Comment

While I will agree that the system is not perfect, it's not a complete gimmick, people that get up there in ranks generally are pretty good, sure there are better people sometimes that do not get up in rank because they don't care, but if they were to play with the top ranked players and beat them, they would very quickly rise above them, I think you could agree that a ranking system could not properly rank players without them playing each other.

Yes they should split the rankings between different game types, and diff parts of the world I think they do not want to do it because it would just be more work but that really is the way it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Spank$hot_BT View Post
                      What i actually meant was with stats like efficiency etc you could get a better understanding of a players relative skill even if the actually rank was wrong
                      Ok, fair enough. :P

Comment

Working...
                      X