Use one button to Melee like in Halo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use one button to Melee like in Halo

With the code below you can use an extra mouse button or keyboard key just for melee with the impact hammer. hold down the key and you'll automatically switch to the impact hammer and charge up. Once you release the key you'll switch to your most powerful weapon in case you need to instantly go back to guns. Basically it's similar to Halo where you have one button to melee then continue shooting.

FIRST, go to
    My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

SECOND, open your UTInput.ini file and under the [Engine.PlayerInput] heading, paste in this UPDATED code:

Bindings=(Name="ThumbMouseButton",Command="switchw eapon 1 | StartFire | OnRelease StopFire| OnRelease SwitchToBestWeapon")

Thanks to dsmelser @ ix.netcom for showing me that I only need these 2 lines instead of the 3 i had previously posted.

Notice the text ThumbMouseButton, thats for if you have a mouse with an extra thumb button.. You can change it to any unused key on your keyboard or gamepad too. Try it and I hope it doesn't make gameplay too noobie.... It just makes gameplay more fun and simplified for me.

Check it out and enjoy.

If anyone finds out a more efficient way of accomplishing this please post it here. Don't be shy it's only the forums we can't smash you with the impact hammer in here.

nice, I'll try

Comment

heh i already have impact hammer hotkeyed to my mouse, but it doesnt pipeswitch. Ill check this out.

Comment

Why do you switch to your best weapon afterwards? Would'nt make more sense for it to switch back to the previous weapon?

Comment

Switching to previous weapon only switches to the weapon that is at the far right of the weapon list on the bottom of your hud as far as i remember, not the last weapon you were using before the impact hammer. Ill check it out.

Comment

Awesome thx dude...

Comment

oks im retarded with this Logitech G9 mouse..what would the side buttons be called? GenericButton1 or 2?

Comment

The side buttons on most mice are called....... ThumbMouseButton If you have multiple side buttons on your mouse try ThumbMouseButton2, ThumbMouseButton3, ThumbMouseButton4 ect as a binding for the button. Just make sure that in the code above where it originally says ThumbMouseButton in the three different spots, replace it with your button name.

Comment

I fail to see the point in that overdone complexity. Cant you just bind button1 to hammer and keep mouse1 pressed for FIRE.

Comment

You can customize these binds to have them suit you. It's just how I like it set up. After I'm done hitting with the hammer I like it to auto switch to a gun. Just my setup. You can eliminate the switchtobestweapon command if you like.

Comment

On my system, I don't need the 2nd line or the setbind commands.
                      This works:
                      Bindings=(Name="PipeA",Command="switchweapon 1 | StartFire | OnRelease StopFire| OnRelease SwitchToBestWeapon")
                      Bindings=(Name="ThumbMouseButton",Command="PipeA")

I'm not sure, but you should be able to make it a single line:
                      Bindings=(Name="ThumbMouseButton",Command="switchw eapon 1 | StartFire | OnRelease StopFire| OnRelease SwitchToBestWeapon")

At least that how it works in UT2004.

Comment

Awesome!! I have no idea how my five mouse buttons are called, though, so I'll try it later!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by dsmelser@ix.netcom View Post
                          On my system, I don't need the 2nd line or the setbind commands.
                          This works:
                          Bindings=(Name="PipeA",Command="switchweapon 1 | StartFire | OnRelease StopFire| OnRelease SwitchToBestWeapon")
                          I use something like this too no need to make a pipe bind for it. just the above. and ya you could do it in one line but i find that it works better if you name the binding then set the button to that command like above. works great for piston jumping. I use a nostromo so i just use a thumb button pistonbind and my pinky to jump with, i find it real nice to just give the hook'em horns with my one hand to jump lol

Comment

Could need some help here. This crashes UT3 when the level starts. Screen freezes.

I somehow have the feeling that this doesn't belong under [Engine.PlayerInput] but under [UTGame.UTPlayerInput].

Could somebody who got this working please post his edit of the UTInput.ini? Thank you!

Comment

It goes under [Engine.PlayerInput] in the UTInput.ini file.
                              copy and paste this into the ini file under [Engine.PlayerInput]

Check if it is this command that is causing it to crash by deleting the UTInput.ini then restarting Ut3. It should start up and give you a new UTInput.ini. After that, try pasting in the code above in the correct directory, in the UTInput.ini under [Engine.PlayerInput]. If it continues to crash I have no explanation.

I really have no idea why an input command would cause UT3 to crash. I'm just throwing out some more ideas for you......
                              Could you have any other commands named PipeA? If so, renaname PipeA in this command to something else. Try using a different button other than ThumbMouseButton. If you're using a gamepad for this and it crashes it might(probably not)be drivers errors.

Comment

Working...
                              X