Motherboard and graphics cards question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard and graphics cards question

Well, this is the thing. I have a motherboard only with PCI Express 16x, and I want a Asus GeForce 8800 GT, but I saw that this graphic card gots bus PCI Express 2.0. It would work anyway, or will I must buy another motherboard?

Please answer... and thanks.

See ya later!

it will work fine on your mobo, but only at pci-e 1.0 speed. pci-e 2.0 mobo are pretty rare & expensive atm.

Comment

Thanks, so now I'm sure that it will work . ¡UT3, better graphics comming!

Comment

All PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards have support for 1.0 Motherboards. My HD3870 is PCI-E 2.0 and my mobo is on 1.0.
        2.0 Motherboards are stupidly priced.
        2.0 Cards at 16x 1.0 BUS speed, are perfectly fine.

If you can afford to, don't get a 8800GT, get a eVGA 8800GTS 512mb, performance is better and they don't overheat whereas a 8000GT is more likely to overheat. You can get a eVGA 8800GTS 512 from www.overclockers.co.uk (if you live in the UK) for only £200.

Comment

Eh nope, I live in Spain XD. But that thing, the overheating... I must search 8800GTS here, and compare. Thanks, thought.

Comment

The overheating is easily resolved using an external program to amp up the fan speed. I use Rivatuner and have set my fan to automatically go to 80% (it's 29% by default ) when my computer boots.

I have a question: What is the current benefit to PCI-e 2.0? It's my understanding that modern graphics cards still don't use all the bandwidth in a PCI-e x16 slot. So what is upgraded in 2.0?

Comment

Working...
            X