• Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC makes strange whistling noise when getting a high fps drop

Athlon 64 3400+
    radeon x1600
    1.5gb ram
    biostar NF325-A motherboard

ok, so as far as i am aware, many people experience areas of fps drop in certain areas of maps in ut3, and these seem to coincide exactly with a fairly quiet, 'whistling' (cant think of a better name) sound coming from either the cpu or somewhere very close to it

i was wondering if anybody has experienced this sound before (you have to have a fairly quiet case, maybe knew what component it was, and if it was the bottleneck that caused the slowdown (from say 40-60fps to 20)

maybe its a bandwidth issue on a bus or something, and if so, could there a bios setting that may be able to fix it?

thanks for your input

Sounds like your graphics card gets into too heavy load and speeds up it's fan to compensate the generated heat. The whistle doesn't cause the fps drop, but otherwise around.

Comment

that means..clean your video cards fan

Comment

stop playing UT3 on ya kettle hehehee. Ya frame rate will increase and the whistling noise will stop lol. (sorry 4 hrs sleep, usually my better judgement would stop me lol )

Comment

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. What is the wattage on yours?

Comment

I would say power supply also, if it's like a high pitched screaming noise. When your components use a lot of load it can make this sort of noise on a cheap or not high enough wattage supply.
            Note: A decent make PSU at average wattage will perform better than a cheap high wattage PSU.

I had an Enermax 350W psu some time ago & it made this high pitch noise when I upgraded my graphics card. I took the card back, because I though it was the card at that time , & putting my head inside the case I just couldn't sense where the noise was coming from, but you live & learn.

Comment

On my old comp, one day I tried (foolishly) running Oblivion at full whack, it started making a dog whistle kind of whine that never went away I think it was coming from the psu, now that comp is in hibernate, unless my current comp blows up Maybe this is the same kinda whine your getting?

Comment

it could be dirty cpu, psu (power supply unit), or video card (usually thats doesnt get too dirty). It could also just be a problem with your psu or hardrive. I kind of have this issue on my second comp where it would get louder at intense use of cpu and hardisk usage. It could also be your case fan or something. My case fan was making a lot of the noise. Then i found my hardrive was making some whistling also. Best thing is to open up the comp and pull the powercord to different things one by one. If you pull the powercord to everything except the power supply and it still makes the noise, you know its the power supply!

Comment

Originally posted by ]NIN[ View Post
                  I would say power supply also, if it's like a high pitched screaming noise. When your components use a lot of load it can make this sort of noise on a cheap or not high enough wattage supply.
                  Any electronic circuit that contains capacitors and oscillates, can whistle or hum, regardless of how much it cost or the quality of the components.

It could be the PSU causing it, but it could also be the graphics card or the motherboard CPU voltage regulator, from the first post I'd say it's the latter.

Also, a whistling capacitor does not necessarily mean that it is failing or faulty. All you can do to stop it is change the part that's making the noise, but you could get a replacement that does the same thing. So, if it's not too annoying and your PC is working Ok, just ignore it.

Comment

i am sure it is not a fan as i turned off every fan temporarily while trying to figure the cause. i only hear it in ut3, and only in areas of high fps drop. i am sure of it.

i will try and record the sound soon, it is not actually a constant sound, and it is not very high pitched, it sort of... jiggles in pitche, hard to explain

Comment

That's a mating call. Put your PC next to another PC when it does that, and leave them alone for a while.

Comment

sorry but i wont want it to be doing any 'hanky panky' when im trying to play ut3...

Comment

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
                          That's a mating call. Put your PC next to another PC when it does that, and leave them alone for a while.
                          LMAO!

I'm not sure if this is the same noise as yours but when I first put my CPU in, it made a horrible whistling noise too, but it went away after a little while.

It's probably one of your fans, your PSU or a specific part on your mobo.

Comment

I would say some sort of hardware.(or a fan stressing out)

Back when i had a cheap pc i had a screeching noise in the latest games,turn out my onboard sound could not cope with the latest games at the time.(not sure if eax just come out then.)
                            I had to buy a soundblaster card anyway to stop it.
                            Not saying thats your prob as onboard soundchips are a lot better nowdays.

Comment

Working...
                            X