• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HorizonX View Post
    Flak & Shock Combo are easily as good as rockets :P
    http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3stats....9&type=weapons

want to explain them then?

Comment

i noticed that too. But i think its rather a psychological thing. Because i noticed it in ut2k4 where you had both Sniper and LG. It was more difficult to hit with a weapon without a visible trail, like a sniper. Mb its just not enough feedback and the actual accuracy is the same, i dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by Emig5m View Post
        Definitely not. To hell with the hitscan only gameplay of UT2004 - R.I.P. And I'm a shock *****, it's my main weapon still in UTIII
        This guy is not making any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by omipax View Post
          This guy is not making any sense.
          This guy is clueless regarding UT weapon balance.

Comment

Originally posted by booshack View Post
            This guy is clueless regarding UT weapon balance.
            wow UT.. thats an old game. Are you sure you arent from the last century?

Comment

You're not? Are you eight years old?

Comment

Lot of harsh words.

For me the best overall weapon and rightly so, is now the Rocket Launcher.

Flakcannon is back to it's original routes which is great, the BIO Rifle is more than just a defensive weapon and the same goes to the Minigun.

Weapons do not need balance in the game, they just need a counter.

Comment

To the author of this post:

You're not crazy. I hinted at this a long time ago in an obscure post during beta. The way the two weapons are handled is completely different. You can test with a buddy online in a server. Have him run steadily in front of you, you stand still, just track him with the crosshair. Here's what you'll find.

The shock beam, due to lag, needs to "lead" the target noticably. This is intuitive and makes sense. Do to your ping, you lead your shot in order to hit him.

The rifle, however, is different. In sub80 ping environments, you don't lead with it. Seriously, I know this doesn't make intuitive sense (and its why aiming seems to inconsistent). You have to track the target as if you're playing offline and aim for the body itself (and frankly a little behind works usually as well).

I started to get suspicious whenever rifle registered a hit, the hit trail seemed to be BEHIND the player. This is the exact opposite of what you would expect in UT's netcode.

So essentially what you have is: despite both being "instant hit" weapons, you have to lead differently with them. The shock rifle always requires you to lead in front of your target, the length depending on your ping. The sniper rifle behaves more like a 0 ping weapon until you hit a certain ping.

Don't believe me? Get on a server with a friend where you ping less than 80. Stand stationary, have him just walk in front of you and track him with your cursor, and see the difference. It is why people have such a hard time aiming in UT3, its inconsistent and unless you've picked up on it, you'll just abandon trying to aim since it seems to be random.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dfruchter View Post
                    To the author of this post:

You're not crazy. I hinted at this a long time ago in an obscure post during beta. The way the two weapons are handled is completely different. You can test with a buddy online in a server. Have him run steadily in front of you, you stand still, just track him with the crosshair. Here's what you'll find.

The shock beam, due to lag, needs to "lead" the target noticably. This is intuitive and makes sense. Do to your ping, you lead your shot in order to hit him.

The rifle, however, is different. In sub80 ping environments, you don't lead with it. Seriously, I know this doesn't make intuitive sense (and its why aiming seems to inconsistent). You have to track the target as if you're playing offline and aim for the body itself (and frankly a little behind works usually as well).

I started to get suspicious whenever rifle registered a hit, the hit trail seemed to be BEHIND the player. This is the exact opposite of what you would expect in UT's netcode.

So essentially what you have is: despite both being "instant hit" weapons, you have to lead differently with them. The shock rifle always requires you to lead in front of your target, the length depending on your ping. The sniper rifle behaves more like a 0 ping weapon until you hit a certain ping.

Don't believe me? Get on a server with a friend where you ping less than 80. Stand stationary, have him just walk in front of you and track him with your cursor, and see the difference. It is why people have such a hard time aiming in UT3, its inconsistent and unless you've picked up on it, you'll just abandon trying to aim since it seems to be random.

Dan
                    Is that so? It might - just might - explain why I keep missing stationary players' heads by three pixels with the shock rifle and sniper rifle, yet rake in easier kills when they're jumping around like spastics, and even easier kills when they're trying to hoverboard past me. Of course, it could just be that I over-correct my aim when trying to lead them.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                      This doesnt make sense either. Year 2000 does not belong to current century. Today must be a day of intensive Sun activity. And no im actually living in 2008 right now.

Comment

what is wrong with 8 year olds ?

Comment

Originally posted by HorizonX View Post
                          Flak & Shock Combo are easily as good as rockets :P
                          Originally posted by Spank$hot_BT View Post
                          Have mine then...

http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3stats....7&type=weapons

Shock ftw. :P I play 2k4 TAM and UT3 WAR equally at the moment and I'm a Shock fanboy in both games. I don't see any problem with the UT3 hitscan in general or the Shock and Sniper Rifle in particular. I still say it's all about adapting, but maybe some people have technical issues that are messing up their hitscan, dunno (although my 40 fps are a technical problem as well :X).

Comment

Shadow Dancer, do you have bCenteredWeaponsFire set to true? If not it's my understanding that some weapons will fire slightly from the side, perhaps messing up your aim. Try it out just for fun. You'll find it in UTGame.ini under
                            [UTGame.UTPlayerController].
                            Ah-ha. Does that still allow the weaponfire to look like its coming from the weapon, or does it straight out from the center of the screen?

Comment

sniper is cool. the only thing is sometimes when i zoom in, my cross hair isn't dark or lighten up enough. not easy to see IMO.

Comment

the response time of the sniper rifle is not good. no telling why from me but its something epic has to look into...

Comment

Working...
                                X