Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Sniper vs. Shock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper vs. Shock

The difference between shock primary and the sniper rifle primary have bugged me for a while and I just really noticed it during a match on deck where I had <30 ping for once and decied to use both as much as possible. This really pointed out what I have been noticing all along.

I hit a good percentage of my shots with the shock primary yet I miss most of my shots with the sniper.

What gives? They are both hit scan right? Do I just suck or is there something wrong with the sniper rifle?

It could be just something related to the sniper's slower rate of fire. I could be trying to aim to hard or something with it and causing myself to have worse aim. But I could swear some times (with low ping) my shots go through targets. I don't notice this with the shock rifle.

Anyways, am I just crazy or has anyone else noticed the same thing?

is there really a difference in diameter of the 2 shots? i have no idea myself, but that could be one explaination.

Comment

I really have to agree with this as i noticed this myself, something feels wrong.

Comment

I can't say I have noticed this offline, since I haven't played online, I couldn't say.

Though my guess would be momentary lag which im sure shall be fixed.

Comment

It kind of feels that the sniper just fires a few milliseconds after you've clicked the button.

Comment

perhaps its intentional acting close to a real sniper

Comment

my favourite weapons are these two

shock for infights and middle range and sniper for long distance but without zoom.

Comment

*shrug* Maybe it's because shock primary's beam is wider

Comment

I use neither of them because in multiplayer (mostly on the Epic servers) my ping is always >50 and impossible to use without the terrible lag. this is strange because in other games (counter-strike and day of defeat for example) I sometimes play with ping between 50 and 100 and I can snipe perfectly with no lag whatsoever. why is this?

Comment

The sniper and shock are far more responsive in offline play and do feel queer online especially sniper. Feels no way near as sharp as the 2K4 equivalents with i could on a good day drop 4-6 hits on an opponents in a row with shock.. THIS IS BAD!!! . Only a few times have i managed to drop 3 hits in a row on an opponent in UT3 (not counting nooby opponents) Whatever is off with the shock and sniper needs fixing yesterday. They should be as effective as their 2K4 counterparts tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Spank$hot_BT View Post
                      The sniper and shock are far more responsive in offline play and do feel queer online especially sniper. Feels no way near as sharp as the 2K4 equivalents with i could on a good day drop 4-6 hits on an opponents in a row with shock.. THIS IS BAD!!! . Only a few times have i managed to drop 3 hits in a row on an opponent in UT3 (not counting nooby opponents) Whatever is off with the shock and sniper needs fixing yesterday. They should be as effective as their 2K4 counterparts tbh.
                      Definitely not. To hell with the hitscan only gameplay of UT2004 - R.I.P. And I'm a shock *****, it's my main weapon still in UTIII, but enough is enough. The gameplay in UTIII is perfect and all weapons are equally usable now where as in 2004 how many people never even touched the Bio gun? - leave it alone, I like gameplay that consists of more then two dominate weapons, and in UTIII I've won matches using just the Bio gun. If they do anything to make the hitscan weapons any more usable then what they are now, then you're going to start to drift back to the two weapon only gameplay of UT2004. I'm afraid your newnet shock taping gameplay is a thing of the past!

Comment

I have to opposite problem. Playing offline, I can usually hit just fine with the sniper, but I have to work to land a shock hit.
                        No idea why.

Comment

Shadow Dancer, do you have bCenteredWeaponsFire set to true? If not it's my understanding that some weapons will fire slightly from the side, perhaps messing up your aim. Try it out just for fun. You'll find it in UTGame.ini under
                          [UTGame.UTPlayerController].

Emig5m, I think you may be misunderstanding. This thread is about the shock and sniper not always counting as a hit when they should. It may be because of lag, bad netcode, who knows. Spank$hot is only saying that the hitscan weapons should connect as often as they did in 2k4, not that they should match in power.

Comment

Originally posted by Emig5m View Post
                            Definitely not. To hell with the hitscan only gameplay of UT2004 - R.I.P. And I'm a shock *****, it's my main weapon still in UTIII, but enough is enough.
                            My main weapon is still shock but its in no way as satisfying to use online as it used to be.

Originally posted by Emig5m View Post
                            The gameplay in UTIII is perfect and all weapons are equally usable now where as in 2004 how many people never even touched the Bio gun?
                            all weapons balanced? The rox, stinger and bio are by far the dominant weapons and i have no problems with them. Parity between the weapons and having them feel right is exactly what i want. Anyone who believes these are finely balanced is kidding themselves. Sniper is near worthless on a lot of these DM maps.

All i'm saying is that these weapons are NOTABLY not as responsive as they are offline. The tight maps and faster run speeds already diminish the effectiveness off shock and sniper so simply asking for them to not feel quite so queer online isn't gonna make that bigger difference to the overall dynamic of general play.

Comment

Flak & Shock Combo are easily as good as rockets :P

Comment

Working...
                              X