Ps3 Cap @ 30fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ps3 Cap @ 30fps

I'm a pc gamer but switch to PS3 when I got tired of updated my pc, so I've noticed the cap at 30fps and I want to know why. I've know that 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i are limit to 25 to 30 fps depending on the tv. Then 1080p is the only one that supports 60fps.

Originally posted by WretchedBass View Post
    I've know that 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i are limit to 25 to 30 fps depending on the tv.
    Are you sure this is true? I've never heard that before. If it is true then you have a pretty solid answer for your question seeing as UT3 is 720p on the PS3. But ultimately I think the reason for that is the PS3 couldn't sustain consistent and smooth framerates much above 30. They capped it so it wouldn't feel stuttery.

Comment

I've read that about the frame rate problem with other than 1080p tv's before but frame rate issues don't seem to be a problem with the hardware but more of the software. I'm only saying that because I've seen stuff done with the cell processor that I couldn't believe could be done. It's either that or they haven't optimized the cell architecture yet or even understand it yet completely.

Comment

What you are asking about is 2 different things. The game internally renders at 30fps, but that is unrelated to the resolution of a tv. Here is one way to look at it. The game Ridge Racer 7 runs at 60fps and supports all resolutions. My tv is only 720p but the game will still be rendered at 60fps. Even though a 720p tv is limited to 30fps the game will run smoother cause the game itself is internally rendered at the higher frame rate. Hopefully that helps.

*EDIT* I assume they capped it at 30fps because if it wasn't capped it would fluctuate a lot depending on what is happening on screen.

Comment

I just want an answer from EPIC because it feels so weird when I'm play with my K&M( A bit Laggy when Moving around.) Because we can think of a million different ideas why and not know for sure.

Comment

To my knowledge, most games are not rendered at 60fps. Usually it's a give and take thing. If you want a higher frame rate or higher resolution something has to be sacrificed. For example CoD4 runs at 60fps, but the game is actually not even 720p.

Comment

Epic is pretty tight lipped about things. They respond to few threads and far between. I think the best your going to get is theories at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Gate33 View Post
                To my knowledge, most games are not rendered at 60fps. Usually it's a give and take thing. If you want a higher frame rate or higher resolution something has to be sacrificed. For example CoD4 runs at 60fps, but the game is actually not even 720p.
                And it looks like garbage.

Comment

The two frame rates in common use are 25 and 30 Hz, with the former (1080i25) generally being used in traditional PAL and SECAM countries (Europe, Australia, much of Asia, Africa), and the latter (1080i30) being used in traditional NTSC countries (e.g. United States, Canada and Japan). Both variants can be transmitted by both major digital television formats, ATSC and DVB. The European Broadcasting Union (EBU), prefers to use the resolution and field rate separated by a slash, as in 1080i/30 and 1080i/25, likewise 480i/30 and 576i/25. See I don't need if this still hold true.

Comment

480p, 720p, and 1080i - all these can run at 60fps. Only 480i is capped @30fps( and not even that is necessary)

Edited: though im not sure about 1080i

Comment

i honestly dont care that UT3 is capped at 30 FPS, because i have NO problems running it on my PS3..

if it was capped at 30 for the PC tho... there would be blood

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
                        i honestly dont care that UT3 is capped at 30 FPS, because i have NO problems running it on my PS3..

if it was capped at 30 for the PC tho... there would be blood
                        Yea I agree with you about the PS3 version. I know the PC version is capped at 60fps and some people don't like that either. Although I believe you can disable it.

Comment

Originally posted by omipax View Post
                          480p, 720p, and 1080i - all these can run at 60fps. Only 480i is capped @30fps( and not even that is necessary)

Edited: though im not sure about 1080i

what he said!

Comment

isn't the cap a technical cap? otherwise wouldn't they just uncap it and let it run at the max it can handle?

Comment

I remember months before it came out in some interview one of the devs(maybe it was Rein) mentioned that they had some levels running well at 60fps on PS3, but others couldn't. It only seemed logical that they capped the whole game at 30 because seeing the framerate drop in half at certain points looks worse than leaving it capped at 30 all the time.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it uncapped as long as it never dropped below 30. I can see why it's not that way though.

Comment

Working...
                              X