Vista 32bit vs. Vista 64bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista 32bit vs. Vista 64bit

So I was wondering if I would get any performance boost in UT3 from running 64bit Vista instead of 32bit? Other than the OS recognizing all my ram o.O

No boost dude........really like 0-fps gain or loading times.......tested it myself

Comment

It doesn't make any difference, because UT3 will run with 32Bit and not with 64

Comment

get 64-bit.

32-bit doesnt recognize the amount of memory you have past 3gb. 64-bit can use from 8gb up to 128gb depending on which version you have.

http://www.realtime-vista.com/instal...imitations.htm

so if you happen to have 4gb in your rig, you may see faster loading times especially in more demanding games.

Comment

best performance boost: upgrade to XP \\nn//...\\nn// VISTA SUCKS!

Comment

Vista > XP

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
              Vista > XP
              i missed the part that you mentioned about the ram usage. theres no difference with the two as long as vista is stable.

i tried them both(32-64bit) before and kept getting that nvidia driver crash so i agree with people for now that xp is better.

Comment

64Bit Vista is the future, and its more secure because of kernal patch protection...

Comment

Originally posted by koopa View Post
                  get 64-bit.

32-bit doesnt recognize the amount of memory you have past 3gb. 64-bit can use from 8gb up to 128gb depending on which version you have.

http://www.realtime-vista.com/instal...imitations.htm

so if you happen to have 4gb in your rig, you may see faster loading times especially in more demanding games.
                  The problem is...

If the game is 32 bit...

It will not get the extra RAM anyway.

Nor does UT3 need extra ram since it's designed to fit in the PS3's 256+256MB Memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                    The problem is...

If the game is 32 bit...

Nor does UT3 need extra ram since it's designed to fit in the PS3's 256+256MB Memory.
                    Exactly the question I was going to ask.

Man, the world really needs to move to 64 bit...

Comment

theres no 64 bit software utilising the code.

64 bit is mainly for server applications.
                      youre wasting your time with 64 bit os. imho

XP is king.
                      vista sucks so bad its not even funny.

Comment

run hl2 ep 2 ep1 reg hl2 you will see at the top "64bit mode"

also many grafix progs are solely 64bit its been around alot longer than vista winblows is just slow to catch up no suprise

i prefer 64bit as i see quicker install and load times nothing drastic like 2x speed but definatly like 1.2x faster than before

Comment

Being a software programmer myself, I can tell you that while most games won't benefit from 64bit OSes, they can suffer from it at times. Windows has to run WoW32 (Windows-on-Windows, 32bit) to run 32bit apps like UT3. This means that you're running an extra application and using a little more CPU and RAM than if you were on a true 32bit platform. At best, the game runs just as good as it would on a 32bit OS.

As for the loading times, that is a bunch of hype. I have done a dual-boot of 64bit and 32bit Windows and there is no difference in HDD access time, which is determined largely by the hardware. A 7200RPM HDD with an 8MB cache doesn't magically go to a 16MB cache and 10200RPM because you're running a 64bit OS. Now if you're comparing two different machines, you may be correct, but unless they're identical, chances are the older 32bit machine has older hardware.

Finally, Vista isn't a very stable or secure platform at this point, which is why most institutions and businesses are avoiding it. It has potential and will be a nice OS one day, but for now it is very wasteful and not a good OS at all. I mean come on, the latest Mac and Linux/Unix desktops require 32MB of RAM to run, XP requires 512MB to run well, and Vista needs a gig to run well! Microsoft does not optimize their OS and they waste resources. Generally, they improve over time, but then whent he OS starts getting good, they scratch the kernel and start over again. This is why Linux/Unix is so much better, they build on the past kernels, not start from scratch. Avoid Vista until they have a few service-packs.

*EDIT*

Oh, and 32bit memory can easily go to 4GB. The thing is, the top 384MB or so is used for memory-address information. Think of it like a file-allocation table for memory. The more memory you have, the more is used for storing address information. Assuming 4GB configurations used exactly 384MB, that means an 8GB configuration would use 768MB. 16GB would use 1.5GB! So yes, a 32bit OS can easily use every bit of 4GB of RAM.

Comment

I read there is a registry entry you can change in a 32-bit OS (XP) and have it recognize all 4 GBs if you have it?

Is this true... Or just wishful thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                              The problem is...

If the game is 32 bit...

that's just about the dumbest thing I've ever read. do you really think the pc version is coded like the ps3s?

Comment

Working...
                              X