No announcement yet.

should DM maps be bigger ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think for tdm is 8 player max and for vctf 16! then it's playable and makes still fun

> 20 player on vctf-map is only deathmatch in a bigger way with vehicles :P
    > 8 for tdm is only respawn killing and spam... ;(

Comment

Originally posted by D2F[Leo] View Post
      And if you want to extend the topic to Warfare maps: Imo Downtown's size is perfect for nearly any player count in WAR, just make sure there are enough alternative (orb-) routes.
      Downtown, with only two ways in ,once your prime node is captured and the full health tank is in, other than grabbing the redeemer, getting back in it can be difficult. Also, I'd like the core areas to yield a raptor, because the mantas are always a few clicks away from death with the over spawning scorpions everywhere, with a raptor you could airlift an orb carrier onto the roof of the node housing building ,giving another orb route option. I hope the locked turret/go back to turret starting point bug is fixed asap also.

Sinkhole would have potential if it was scaled up - On the space issue ;it is way too cramped when many play it. It becomes a chaotic rocket/manta thing at the mo. It would be better IMHO if the prime node area opened out to a primeval(2k4) center node size scale area or even arena sized, with only one manta spawning per team.

My favorite map is Onyx coast, with good teams this can produce great match ups. The speed you can get to the prime plus multiple approaches at the node itself, for recapture, make this a well designed map, with great scale to weapon power. The only problem with this map is the way the Levi can dominate the whole enemy prime area long enough, before being destroyed, for the the game to be over in 2 minutes... if you get someone in juggernaut powerup mode hitting a core .

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
        Downtown, with only two ways in ,once your prime node is captured and the full health tank is in defending the node, other than grabbing the redeemer, getting back in it can be difficult.
        True, but that's why I mentioned alternative routes etc. There are three different ways to get into the prime node building and it usually isn't very hard to sneak in with a shaped charge through the back entrance in order to throw it somewhere near the tank.

Comment

Yeah I was counting the two front entrance points as one as far as a Goliath is concerned

Comment

Any bigger and there would be more performance issues then there already are. On the subject I think the maps are fine.. there are some big enough maps and there are small ones. Once (or if) the invalid url error gets fixed with custom maps being downloaded we'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of maps.

Comment

Newbies (resisting the urge to call them noobs) like playing on small maps with lots of players.

I believe this is because the game dynamics are more prone to chaos and randomness and allow the lesser skilled players to get a bunch of frags against players who they wouldn't normally stand a chance against in a more controlled environment. This is most likely why people won't stop voting for BioHazard and RisingSun on public servers.

I dislike this, but at least I understand it. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by nthexwn View Post
                Newbies (resisting the urge to call them noobs) like playing on small maps with lots of players.

I believe this is because the game dynamics are more prone to chaos and randomness and allow the lesser skilled players to get a bunch of frags against players who they wouldn't normally stand a chance against in a more controlled environment. This is most likely why people won't stop voting for BioHazard and RisingSun on public servers.

I dislike this, but at least I understand it. :-/
                Meh, I guess so.

But shock combos on a full biohazard server are heaven.

Comment

Not sure how anyone could describe the DM maps as "perfect" unless you've only been playing with an extremely low player count.

Heatray, Shangrila and Deck are the only maps which can handle more than 4 players, but even they can't take a great deal more.

Lack of variation in playercount maps was a result of poor planning, much like the rest of the game.

Comment

We need maps with both space n some narrow passages.Just look at all ut2k4 maps we loved n its clear what people want.

Comment

Didn't Epic say that they had a 30gb UT3 file, prior to demo release? Epic must surely be sitting on a ton of maps that didn't make the final cut; maybe the upcoming, "cool stuff" Mark Rein mentioned?

There were a few brighter WAR maps with sweeping open landscapes in the preview shots ,hopefully these will be released too, as the game's stock maps have a cold, GOW look for the most part , keeping with the daft SP story, including the bleak looking sepia necris maps.

Comment

we need server admins that have some sense. seriously, that is the real complaint on this thread, cause the maps are fine

Just stay away from the 32 person DM maps (or any of them for that matter), and only go for ones with lower player caps. This will spread ppl out better and lure more to the reasonably set up servers.

*Oh, and if you know an admin setting player count to 32, please make sure to smack them upside the head and call them 'noob' as often as possible

Comment

Maps in UT3 are fine. If they get big, let them not be bigger than UT2k4 maps for DM especially. Unreal tournament weapons are not suited for Big environment maps such as that in Call of Duty, CS etc... flack, stringer, rocket, bio, link gun... would be useless.
                          Unless it is Vehicle Dm, Big maps maybe good.
                          Too small is not good either for a large number of players

Comment

NEED MORE SPACE FOR SURE!!!!!!!

Only Sangrila and Heatray are playable on a 4v4 situation and maybe 1-2 other that i can't remember the name like the maps with portals but anyway... The other are too small! You just can't move enough! You are forced to spam with the first weapon you find! There's too much ROX abuse and shock combo (my #1 weapon) need more space to do something nice and not stand still!

What you can do with a shock vs a rox in small map... Smapping core and pray to kill the guys with rox to take is weapons and spam with it yeeee....

Spam's something that kill the game and small maps just force people to doing it. Hitscan'sSKILLFULL then spam!!! No one need skill to spam roket but you need skill to make a nice combo in mouvement. For a competive game, if anynoob can win a match because they spam it's pretty stupid when a better team loose cause they try to do some skilled kill with hitscan.

Anyway it's IMO only but that's why ut2k4 tam's more popular then ut3... BIGUER MAPS AND SKILL'S NEEDED TO HIT SOMEONE. I know epic want a game where any noob can have kills but it's just make the game more boring for those who are skilled and get kill by noob... I mean in 2k4 TAm for exemple, no noob can kill a leet player with spam or not. In ut3, it's too easy... I want to play UT3 but spam just kill me cause I have to do it to win (in small maps) and it's boring...

Anyway Sorry for my bad english and I hope someone will be agree with me...

Comment

Working...
                            X