should DM maps be bigger ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should DM maps be bigger ?

maps are smaller now. UT is going back to roots.

at first i was glad about maps going to their original size. big maps on UT2k4 would end up with hitscan only. the shock core was very slow and the rocket launcher would shoot tiny rockets, hitscan was dominant.

but now shock core are going back to normal pace and rockets go even faster than on UT99.

on WARfare rocket is good because maps are big so it needs to be pretty accurate to hit but on DM maps are so small i feel that rocket kills are a bit "too easy".

i think that UT99 DM maps were great. but the remakes should be bigger because of weapon's evolution.

can't play the same small maps like in UT99 with much stronger weapons.
    i love the rocket launcher. in UT99 rocket launcher = skill. but with the small maps we have i think it doesn't require the skill it should anymore.

edit :

for instance on deck if you're standing on the top sniper spot rockets that are coming from below right at you. those rockets are a much bigger threat than it was in UT99 . even if the scale is exactly identical. to recreate UT99 feel sniper spot should be higher so that a rocket that is thrown from the link gun spot takes about the same amount of time to reach sniper spot. = same threat.

same for DM-FST-Morbias. the scale is the same as the original. but a rocket launched from one side of the map will take less time to hit the other side of the map.

I don't play DM, but I hear plently of people complaining that you can win a round just by running about with the Impact Hammer. Larger maps or lower player counts, whichever.

Comment

pull my finger....!

It feels a bit small at times but any bigger and it would make the game look huge!

Comment

Personally I dislike the small, narrow DM maps (I guess you're only talking about DM here?), but the problem are usually the high player counts online. So... while I don't like (and even hate) the new focus on Rox, Rox, Rox, I think that the maps basically play fine at the recommended player counts. :P

And if you want to extend the topic to Warfare maps: Imo Downtown's size is perfect for nearly any player count in WAR, just make sure there are enough alternative (orb-) routes.

Comment

The maps are far too tight in DM, the game has moved too far away from UT2k4. DM maps are spammy clumsy affairs tbh. When 'invaild URL' issues are finally fixed we'll see if spacier custom content feels better for those of us who like to dodge without hitting a wall every time.

Comment

I like the scale of the DM maps. I presume that's what you meant by "size"? On the other hand, I would like to have more large DM maps, and by that I don't mean wide corridors and open spaces, but just bigger maps with more rooms and places. Enough space to really hold 16 players. So far only Gateway and Deimos can really hold 16 players. Every other map goes into chaos.

Comment

The scale is perfect imo.
              Just need the maps to be larger in space wise,for the 16-32 players.
              So i voted yes if that what you meant by bigger.

Comment

Yes all the maps I got with the game seem really small.

Comment

i was tdm player and now switched to vctf there is more space... i luv it!

Comment

I like smaller spaces... but you need BIGGER amounts of smaller spaced due to the higher player counts. But since the console version is limited to what? 16 I believe... our 24 and 32 person DM servers don't work too well.

More servers need to run with lower player caps... 2 16 man servers is better than 1 32 man...

Comment

I have turned claustrophobic from playing UT3.

Comment

The map size seems just fine to me, but there'd be nothing wrong with throwing in some bigger ones for variety. Maps should come in a wide range of shapes and sizes.

I don't see how large open spaces lead to more precise or more skill-based gameplay, though. The extra obstacles and mix of tight and open areas in UT3's maps mean winning is about more than just dodging and aiming, but thinking fast, using cover and taking advantage of the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                          I don't play DM, but I hear plently of people complaining that you can win a round just by running about with the Impact Hammer. Larger maps or lower player counts, whichever.
                          It's true because I've done it! I was getting my **** kicked and all I could hear was the sound of the impact hammer before I kept getting spooged. I switched over to the hammer, marched all of the way up the charts and won! It was a total joke really - too many people in the map. The server admins fault, not Epics.

Comment

The scaling of the maps (size of corridors etc, not total map area) is fine, but most of the retail maps work best 1on1. Problem is there were no real TDM maps out of the box, and newbie admins have way too many slots on their servers. 12 players or more is just random carnage in most maps. If there is one thing I miss it's Z-axis, too little of it.

Comment

Scale is perfect but there admins need to balance the gametype with the maps in the vote list. Way too many admins don't really know what they are doing and they set up 24 person FFA with Sentinel in the map list.... <shakes head>

I think the scales are perfect but you need to:

1) Choose the right map for the gametype
                              2) Learn to use ALL the weapons so you can adapt your playstyle depending on the map.

In 2k4, there were too many folks who could own with lg/shock alone because all maps were ridiculously large. UT3 is a different (and much better) animal forcing you to much more well-rounded. My two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X