X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the mod cookers and PS3 users.

Originally posted by Mark Rein View Post
    Folks,

I have to agree with AnubanUT2 and Nagis. Please stop asking over and over for mods to be cooked. Eventually that turns into trolling and we will ban you for that. One request is fine. People making mods have already gone to a great deal of trouble for the benefit of the community. Not all of those mods are going to be ideal for PS3 and it is the choice of the mod maker to decide to cook it to PS3 or not. So be polite and appreciative and maybe they'll help you. Be incessant and annoying and you're likely going to hurt the community more than you help it. We'll also kick you off this forum if you do so repeatedly.
    MY personal expirience with issue:
    Just out of curiosity, I have asked some mod makers to create the PS3 cooks and got no reply. A week goes, by and a another yet I get no reply. I understand some people might feel like they are getting "bugged" or what Mark thinks as people "trolling".

But is it too hard to reply? Might sound too simple right?

"Yes, I am working on a cooking the mod for the PS3.."
    or
    "No, sorry I don't want my mod on the PS3...."
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    INSTEAD OF:
    "I won't cook my mod for the ps3 because it is illegal..." (LIE)
    or
    "NO REPLY"
    or
    "I don't have time."
    ----------------------------------------------------

I sent a PM to two authors asking for a map to be cooked and the guy replies:
    "STOP BUGGING ME FOR THE MOD, I WILL GET ADMINISTRATORS TO BAN YOUR ACCOUNT." I know this has happened to other people too.

However, I only asked the one time... like stated above. I understand that some MOD makers don't care for the PS3 or even hate Sony for some unknown reason, but there is still no reason to be so hostile to PS3 owners! I also realize the amount of work that goes into making mods. I even realize that I may of asked for a mod cook, and was actually the 20th person requesting...Should I assume people already asked?

As a old "modder" who use to help do Counterstrike mods, I find the community here a bit bigger but way too hostile! Now Mark and Epic Forum administrators like FLak and other siding towards the PC crowd. I am sure Mark and company would like people to stop hassling about the glitches and other problems as well...

So what do we do about the problem now? How do we fix the headache?

Simple, this may sound somewhat vague as first, but simply have EPIC release the MODS via In Game update. This method will have PS3 users less on the forums, and with no real reason to come to the forums in the first place besides helping test out a beta......

It might disappoint PS3 owners not having newly cooked mods for the PS3 on day 1, but it at least every PS3 owner of UT3 will have the same exact maps.

For PS3 users this means:

1) No getting kicked out of servers for not having mod.
    2) More than 3 servers actually hosting Mods.
    3) No more having to hunt down mods.

For Epic this means:

1) Requiring people to test maps.
    2) Epic's Stamp of approval.
    3) Servers to upload client side updates.

So how about it EPIC, I am not trolling but simply pitching an idea.

I hope that others who agree with this method or could add on realistic solutions, please expand on this thread.

I doubt this would work, if they gave you mods via game updates then you would be forced to download all these mods to update your game. Thats rediclous, even if they gave you a choice they have nothing to do with game updates and epic has better things to work on. I see many authors of maps putting out ps3 versions so I dont really see what the problem is, you cant expect to have everything. I think you're totally overreacting on the whole subject and you mentioned CS mods, those are very small compared to UT mods, in a years time none of this will matter. be patient.

Comment

So you are basically stating that EPIC shouldn't improve the game?
      But then you state that in a year "none of this will matter."

I do not concur with your meaning, and yes I know CS Mods were low pro compared to UED3 but you also have to remember back in the day there wasn't a great tool for mod making in CS. I wish there was though because some mods took forever to create in CS.

And one more thing Biz, the issue has been huge. Look at all the banned accounts recently. Don't be ignorant about the matter, and look through the threads...

Comment

I can understand people not wanting to cook for PS3, I myself will not be cooking or supporting for other platforms then PC when I release my maps and mods in the future, however I will be distributing the Unreal Ed files so that people that wish to play what I create on other platforms can get them cooked themself.

However people hold an intellectual copyright over anything they create so you would need permission for such a thing, now my feelings aside, I think the idea of a "game update" is something the PC should have as well, so that people can play on some of the more popular custom maps.... so I think such an idea is great, I just don't think Epic will listen and take heed however.

Comment

Originally posted by r3sistance
          people hold an intellectual copyright over anything they create
          Can you expand on this for me?

Comment

Basically, when someone releases something, they generally release it in a fashion or method which shows it's intended use, to do something that violates the rights that author intended is basically illegal and immoral. However over such small things as UT3 maps I doubt we will see any court cases now, but it's still not a good idea to cook people's maps if they give out the UE file, without their permission.

Comment

I agree people can't just cook other people mods even if they do give the original artist credit.

However this issue should be adressed. I am also pretty sure that when UT3 comes out on the 360 the game will have updates with new maps (free? IDK) to supplement the new users on purchasing UT3 over the competition on that console.

Comment

It's not illegal, however the 'community' HAS traditionally assigned value to such decisions. You'd never see any court case over a UT3 map, in fact you might get into legal trouble yourself if you were to pursue such a thing. Basically it is purely a decision of the community, and in this case, a completely arbitrary and valueless one.

By not allowing specific users access to the content mod makers create, you have crated strife that the community has never faced before. It is simply the way the PS3 handles mods that has created this, as well as Epic's foolish decisions on how to handle such problems.

Comment

Because it's not just you sending them messages, sure you send one but do you think you are the only person to do so? No. Most of them KNOW people would like it on PS3, it's common sense. If they want to cook it they will, if they don't then they won't so just stop asking...

Comment

Originally posted by mapper0x1A View Post
                    It's not illegal, however the 'community' HAS traditionally assigned value to such decisions. You'd never see any court case over a UT3 map, in fact you might get into legal trouble yourself if you were to pursue such a thing. Basically it is purely a decision of the community, and in this case, a completely arbitrary and valueless one.

By not allowing specific users access to the content mod makers create, you have crated strife that the community has never faced before. It is simply the way the PS3 handles mods that has created this, as well as Epic's foolish decisions on how to handle such problems.
                    I agree. I looked at the last post of many banned accounts and found that some of the admins were alittle too harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by DrOctagon View Post
                      Because it's not just you sending them messages, sure you send one but do you think you are the only person to do so? No. Most of them KNOW people would like it on PS3, it's common sense. If they want to cook it they will, if they don't then they won't so just stop asking...
                      What if someone had just created a account?

What if someone thought that the map was old?

What if someone thought the thread was old?

What if the Mod author is creating 3 new projects and focused attention away from the mod in subject?

I don't post or PM the author if I do indeed see a post in that thread asking for a cook. If there are post requesting a cook, and the TC didn't reply I will send ONE request.

Is that Spamming?

Comment

Here is my 2 Cents on this.

First of all, it does not take but maybe 5 minutes to read a thread. If someone has already asked to make a mod for the PS3, then you yourself do NOT need to ask, and if its never made, dont bug the author about it, just be glad that some people out there make the content for us to have fun in, you cant expect to have the same 100% amount of fun as the PC users, mainly because they are the ones making the content.

Now, for people stealing the Mods and cooking it up, it DOES happen, and really the only way to prove you did it is if you post a link to the cooked version. Which in turn, can either

a- **** off the person who made the mod

b- Say "Go ahead and use it".

Either way, it would not be a good idea anyways, cause there is always that chance that they dont want it cooked for their own Personal reasons. I can understand that reason wholeheartingly and I totally Respect it, I myself am a PS3 user, and I respect and still get respective critiques for the PS3 maps and mods.

And about PMing Authors, just dont period about wanting a Cooked version. Just read the thread, and if no one mentions wanting a cooked version, just be polite as you can and just say "I hope this comes out for the PS3" or something like that, that shows the Author reads that post and may just branch out to entertain you.

Read that Bold line and think about it for a minute or so. People do this to provide entertainment for thousands upon thousands of users out there. Im sure if you have a brain, I dont need to explain any further.

And to think someone reads and does not think the Thread is old, there are dates on every post. When the last post was made, etc. These people need to learn the basics of a Message board.

If the User just created an account here, They need to read the FAQ's and start learning. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by mapper0x1A View Post
                          It's not illegal
                          I have a Higher National Diploma in Computing and as a part of that I had to learn about things that are and are not illegal in terms of computing. So yes, it is Illegal, however as I stated, such a thing over UT3 maps is trivial (more so then J-walking) and would be thrown out before even shown to a judge. After all the "victim" certainly can claim no finicial or mental damage so you'd be effectively sueing for... nothing. There are reasons such laws for copywrites of this nature exist but not going to go deep into that.

But anyway, no it's not spamming, however when it comes to PMing people, the problem would be that you don't know whom has already PMed said person, thus you never know just how much traffic someone's PM box is getting so some may understandably become irate over such things. I can understand why people would also want to make their gaming experience better, to get maps on to PS3 would certainly improve as such and so I hold no ill-wind towards people asking, unlike other mappers around may.

Comment

Originally posted by r3sistance View Post
                            I have a Higher National Diploma in Computing and as a part of that I had to learn about things that are and are not illegal in terms of computing. So yes, it is Illegal, however as I stated, such a thing over UT3 maps is trivial (more so then J-walking) and would be thrown out before even shown to a judge. After all the "victim" certainly can claim no finicial or mental damage so you'd be effectively sueing for... nothing. There are reasons such laws for copywrites of this nature exist but not going to go deep into that.

But anyway, no it's not spamming, however when it comes to PMing people, the problem would be that you don't know whom has already PMed said person, thus you never know just how much traffic someone's PM box is getting so some may understandably become irate over such things. I can understand why people would also want to make their gaming experience better, to get maps on to PS3 would certainly improve as such and so I hold no ill-wind towards people asking, unlike other mappers around may.
                            How is it illegal. There are corporations that would argue that taking a sound byte from a show and putting it up on a non-profit site is 'illegal'. It's just absurd. It's far less than J-walking, it'd be like obscure never enforced laws you hear about sometimes.

The whole origin of copyright laws has been perverted more and more over the last few hundred years, and no longer follow their original intentions at all.

Comment

I typically leave feedback on maps that I like and often ask (just once) for a PS3 cook. If another person has already asked, then I am just re-enforcing the idea that the PS3 community as a whole would appreciate the map.

If I made a map and only one person asked for it then I'd think I had done a poor job. Also, if someone who I respected on the boards asked for a map verses someone who I couldn't stand asked, then I would be more likely to take the time to cook it or have someone else cook it. Basically, I'm leaving a complement when I ask for a cook and it should be taken as just that (IMO).

What if some board idiot always spammed that beta boards for PS3 cooks and then nobody else was allowed to request a cook??? I think that would be a bad policy.

Comment

Working...
                              X