Is nalicity dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is nalicity dead?

Just asking. Use to be a great place to get maps and stuff.

Nalicity hosted by beyondunreal.com, whics is currently down. Hope their engineers resurrect community site soon.

Comment

BeyondUnreal (which host Nalicity, Skincity, Insite) got a huge database lost since last weekend, actually, 2 hard drive failed at the same time, so all the data after May 2006 is lost.

As you know, BeyondUnreal has been down for a few days and we wanted to bring you up to date on the situation. This weekend, we suffered multiple simultaneous drive failures, including the drive with our database backup. Thankfully, after a great effort we've been able to recover a lot of the database by salvaging what we could and from older independant backups. Unfortunately, we did lose all of 2007 and part of 2006 from the forums. New drives are on order and when they arrive will need to be installed and we anticipate being up a few hours after that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO HOSTED SITE ADMINS
      You MUST contact us if you have data stored in the database that you would like us to recover. It is a difficult and annoying process to retrieve anything from the corrupted data, so PLEASE get ahold of us ASAP if you have data that was created later than May 23, 2006 that you need to have us attempt to recover for you.

Even though such a catastrophic simultaneous failure was really unforseeable, we want to apologize to all the readers, forum members, and especially our incredible hosted sites for the downtime. All the same we are escalating our disaster preparedness and going forward our host has agreed to make backups independant of our server farm. It's highly unlikely for multiple drives to fail simultaneously even once - let alone twice, but this will help insulate us should it ever happen again. We look forward to getting back to serving the Unreal community and, barring nuclear attack or act of God, carrying on without interruption.
      I am one of the most active member over BeyondUnreal forums, it's a ****ing pain what just happened, all the good post after May 27 are gone, all the useful stuff and maps, the hosted sites stuff.

It's not their "engineers" that will solve the issue, but the host they are using. Imagine this, you got 2 drives, one live, and the other for the backup. Boom, both fail the the same time. What happened down there? Mhhh....

Comment

Yea i've been following the problem over at BU, so sad. There is soo much content that will potentially be lost forever.

Nalicity is still alive though, just what a little while.

Comment

OMG, that really sucks.

Comment

wow.. did they not have a recent offsite dump of their DB?

i am by no means harping on them about this, but one of the last things people ever think about is backup/restore needs when hosting a site.. and a site that large should have had, i would think, a real backup/restore/disaster recovery policy. i know it's community based, but someone pays for it and deals with it, that should have been a huge priority.. i wish them luck in recovering their data.. the dudes have always been way cool when i talked to them about the site/DL's or news.

Comment

Originally posted by 13th_Disciple View Post
              wow.. did they not have a recent offsite dump of their DB?

i am by no means harping on them about this, but one of the last things people ever think about is backup/restore needs when hosting a site.. and a site that large should have had, i would think, a real backup/restore/disaster recovery policy.
              Read. The server backup drive failed along the live one.

This weekend, we suffered multiple simultaneous drive failures, including the drive with our database backup.

Comment

... I hope it comes back to life or else time spent in making good content over the years would be useless

Comment

Originally posted by Kantham View Post
                  I am one of the most active member over BeyondUnreal forums, it's a ****ing pain what just happened, all the good post after May 27 are gone, all the useful stuff and maps, the hosted sites stuff.

It's not their "engineers" that will solve the issue, but the host they are using. Imagine this, you got 2 drives, one live, and the other for the backup. Boom, both fail the the same time. What happened down there? Mhhh....
                  I feel the same way and would much rather be active on BU than on this forum.

I have to wonder what was going on at the host too. The site started crapping out a few weeks ago but they fixed it. I'm shocked no backup was created around Christmas when the problem seemed to first surface. Then a week ago it just crashes for no apparent reason. Looks like it's time to find a new host. I have no idea where BU is hosted at, but I seriously cannot envision a situation where both drives fail completely simultaneously. Normally it's something stupid like a lost partition table or blown capacitor.

Comment

BU is Back!

Back to 2006, admittedly, but it's back!

Comment

BU is Back!

Back to 2006, admittedly, but it's back!

Hahaha! n1

Comment

Originally posted by Kantham View Post
                        Read. The server backup drive failed along the live one.
                        read.. offsite backup.. as in not onsite, and on something more protective, such as tape, or a decent sized RAID array as to avoid such issues. clearly you missed the context of my post.

Comment

Hello there, fellow BU refugees!

Comment

read.. offsite backup.. as in not onsite, and on something more protective, such as tape, or a decent sized RAID array as to avoid such issues. clearly you missed the context of my post.
                            Okay because everyone should be making extra backup after extra backup every day...

Comment

We had a RAID 5 array but both died, which is almost unheard of. Anyhow... problem solved going forward and we're recovering as much as we can. The biggest loss seems to be forum content. Just about every other part of the site will be able to bounce back.

Comment

Working...
                              X