• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is PS3 Unreal not 1080p native???

I dont get it!

1) They have the space (50gb Blu-ray)
    2) They have the power (I believe??)
    3) Its been done with other similar sized games (MGS4)
    4) The PC version has the textures and quality right up to 1920 x 200 (perhaps even higher) so they have done all the leg work

So what gives, why make it 720p?? I personally am fussy when it comes to detail and find it a bit of a let down on the PS3, it looks rough round the edges.

Dont get me wrong the game-play is awesome, as with all UT games, but I just feel let down on the graphic front, I was expecting 1080p when they announced it in 2005, I have heard rumors it was a trade off between frame-rate and texture quality? Is this true, if so, perhaps I should have bought a PC instead!??

Sorry if this start a heated debate, this is just my opinion, and just to let you all know, I imported UT3 from the US and am in the UK, does this make a difference??? PAL vs NTSC?? I would like to see some REAL PS3 native screen shots, perhaps with the "Square button" showing to get in a vehicle so I know its PS3, and I can put my mind at rest.

Let me know what you all think, I would like to start a petition to get a mod/version out thats 1080p native and see the trade off for myself!!

Good question... comments anyone? However a mod would be interesting to test... to see if it stills runs in the 30 fps range.

Comment

It has 1050p for me.
      1680x1050 to be exact

Ok, sorry, I'm outa here...

Comment

Erm, because the PS3 gfx just can't handle it :P

Comment

PS3 is how old.. 2 years? UT3 is how old? its nextgen ffs. For example Halo3 ( although its for xbox360) did not even manage to have 720p30. its only 640p. And to have 1080p with a nextgen game... Its just too slow thats all.

Comment

But MGS4 runs perfectly at 1080p, there are loads of textures and AI going on, its also online. I would like to hear it from Epic, have they said why officially?

Comment

The space on the disc has nothing to do with how well the system can run a game in a specific resolution...

If it was so easy to get this game running in 1080p on PS3 it would have been locked at 60fps instead. Just because game A runs in one resolution does not mean it's possible for game B. This is like when people say "resistance is 40 players online, why isn't UT3?"

BTW MGS4 is not confirmed to be 1080p native.

Comment

There's an interview with Mark Rein that discusses this issue here: http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=813

Originally posted by Mark Rein

In fact, there are levels that will run inside 1080 if there’s nothing else going on in them. So you can build content for 1080 if that’s your goal; you decide what your goals are when you’re making a game.

One of our goals was a super rich experience with really high levels of detail on the graphics; to really push the bar up there and do that. Well, if our goal was 1080 we couldn’t have achieved that. Just because it’s all about the trade-offs. It’s the same thing with UT. Our goal is to have a really fast, smooth experience. You played it, with all kinds of **** going on; at the same time people with black particles and rockets and explosions going off everywhere. Being able to fly through these levels, if that’s your experience, if that’s what you’re trying to do, then you’re 720 straight. So those are the decisions we make because that’s the kind of game we’re trying to make. But that has nothing to do with your frame rate, if your goal is frame rate related, or it’s resolution related, you can just make trade-offs. You can use less stuff or code it differently, or simulate things, so I mean that’s really just a game and design decision. Now the engine does get better and better as we move forward, so the engine is definitely faster than it was last year; so is it possible that one day we do a UT style game on PS3 at 1080? I guess so. Is that something we’re likely to do? I don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by iBaldie View Post
                  But MGS4 runs perfectly at 1080p, there are loads of textures and AI going on, its also online. I would like to hear it from Epic, have they said why officially?
                  I dont play MGS4, but for example 960x1080 is also considered "1080p" and is about the same number of pixels as 1280x720. This is a wide area to BS ppl.

Comment

I wish I bought a PC!

Comment

I think you'll find that 1280x720 is HD720 and not the same pixel space as 1960x1080

1080p just means that the resolution is 1960x1080 and the picture is "built" progressively instead of 1080i which is an interlaced picture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Standards2.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

Comment

I would rather have a solid 720p then a inconsistent 1080p.

Comment

Your probably right! It just looks so awesome on PC!! (Green with envy!)

Are there any PS3 screenshots (showing its really PS3) that I can look at to ensure mine is running ok?

Comment

1080p only means the image has to have 1080 horizontal lines. The amount of vertical lines is not specified. For example most if not all Plasma TVs are only 1024x768. And cannot even fully display 720p HDTV movies or 720p games, which are 1280x720. Still, since such a TV fulfills the requirement of displaying 720 lines, it is considered HD.

I will quote the definition from your link( emphasis mine)
                            1080p is considered a HDTV video mode. The term usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels.

Comment

Ah Gotcha, I see...

Comment

Working...
                              X