Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What graphics card is required for max settings @ 1080p?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What graphics card is required for max settings @ 1080p?

Question is in the title, i want to play UT3 with everything on full at 1920x1080. What is the minimum (single) graphics card i need? Has anyone managed this with a 8800gt or gts?

My system:
    Athlon X2 4200+ (soon to be X2 6000+)
    2 GB 667 MHz RAM

Thanks

I was happily playing UT3 at 1920x1200 on my 8800GT 512MB, very smooth and looked amazing So either that or a GTX/Ultra would be super fine. Heck even the newer card coming soon will kill it .

Comment

im using an 8800gt BFG brand with everything at MAX 1440x900 lcd and 1920x1200 crt with very high fps stats, no problems and looks great!

Comment

If you're planning on gaming at 1920x1280, I'd wait until next month when the next top-end cards come out. Details are scanty, but the 9800 GX2 will be 450$ and 30% faster than an 8800 ultra with 1 gig of memory. There's also another 9 series card coming out, but next to no details have been released. Probably a 65nm version of the 8800 GTX based on the new G92 setup... probably will be the best performing card for its money when released.

Comment

I have an AMD 3850 and am looking for a 1080p 40" right now.

Donovan

Comment

I have an XFX 8800 GT 512mb. I use 1920x1200 resolution, so it should be quite relevant. I have everything on max (except bloom and depth of field, bleh!) although I don't use AA. I generally get between 60 and 90 fps. On occasion it will dip as low as mid 30s, usually when I enter a vehicle. I think that's a driver issue that will be cleared up, but who knows.

As Harmatia said, prices will come down in theory when the 9 series is introduced.

Comment

My 8800GT doesnt have any problems handling UT3 on highest detail.

Comment

Just for fun i tried max settings on my machine (in my sig). It was a horrible experience.

Comment

I had to drop from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 to keep my FPS high with 8800GT 512mb and E6750 @ 3.3ghz. Of course I require FPS that never drops below 60fps. 8800GT is not going to handle 1920x1200 without dropping below 60fps in firefights though. Expect to see 35-45 fps in the largest fights.

Comment

Hmmm, mixed reviews for the 8800gt.

I think i may just go for the GTX then, for stutter free, high fps play. The new 9 series will probably be way over my £250 -> £300 budget when it comes out.

Thanks for the info. guys

Comment

Originally posted by blOb View Post
                      Hmmm, mixed reviews for the 8800gt.

I think i may just go for the GTX then, for stutter free, high fps play. The new 9 series will probably be way over my £250 -> £300 budget when it comes out.

Thanks for the info. guys
                      The 9 series will be around the same price as a GTX. The 9800 GX2 is speculated to have 30% greater performance for around the same price. The 9600 is speculated to be a redesigned GTX based on the new G92 setup with 65 nm... better cooling. Definitely hold out.

Comment

Yeah I would wait as well.. If for anything, then for the pricedrop that will occur when the newer cards come out.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                          I have an XFX 8800 GT 512mb. I use 1920x1200 resolution, so it should be quite relevant. I have everything on max (except bloom and depth of field, bleh!)
                          You do know that by disabling DOF it makes the game revert to detail level 1 and eliminates almost all post-processing effects, right?

I'm just bringing this up because you are essentially playing a game that looks like UT2004. Thus, not as much a performance hit and others should be aware of this when posting that you are able to run 1080.

Comment

Which post processing effects exactly? Are they lines in the .ini?

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                              Which post processing effects exactly? Are they lines in the .ini?
                              If you disable DOF it automatically disables things like bloom and other post-processing effects. It also drops the world detail down to 1 which further removes effects like foliage, particles (steam; smoke), cobwebs, water effects (ripples, refraction and drips).

This is a bug in the UE3 engine. Gears of War even has this bug too.

This is one of those things that needs to be brought to Epic's attention and hopefully fixed in an upcoming patch to give PC gamers more control over their rendering.

Comment

Working...
                              X