Opinions on VCTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
    Please tell me how you can defend properly in any vCTF map without it being turned into camping of one kind or another?
    exactly, in CTF and VCTF camping = Defense. would you like for us to back away and pay no attention to the flag until its taken, and THEN its okay to go near it?

people always bring up the camping = lame argument and they are always wrong when it comes to VCTF or CTF or similar

Comment

Originally posted by InvadrZIM View Post
      exactly, in CTF and VCTF camping = Defense. would you like for us to back away and pay no attention to the flag until its taken, and THEN its okay to go near it?

people always bring up the camping = lame argument and they are always wrong when it comes to VCTF or CTF or similar
      Yeah this is a crazy argument. It's like asking why can't oranges be more like bananas, cos I like bananas. And all those pips man. ****. No one likes oranges as much as bananas, so we should make oranges like bananas.

I say you wanna banana go buy one, but don't expect me to paint my orange yellow.

etc etc...

As I see it people who love VCTF love the strategy, the team play and timing that overcomes strong established defence. You need to work as a team, regroup, and make new tactics ingame. While fast games are good, some of the best games are powerstruggles that go overtime, before one team cracks the strategy and breaks through and home again. On the other hand TAM timeout is there to define the kind of game that is played and as such works well, if you like the non-stop combat this brings. But VCTF with timeouts to stop 'camping' (word doesnt even really mean anything in Vehicle CTF) is too silly.

Comment

not only that but a camping caller wouldn't make much sense in VCTF anyway

Player 1 Is camping near the main spawn in the Tank in the BLUE BASE

Well no s*** hes been blasting the hell out of the other team for the past five minutes

Comment

Originally posted by SpineShanK View Post
          camping is not an acceptable strategy thats why on TAM, FREON or LMS got camper alert for example.

you guys are lucky and the whole community is unlucky that there is no camper alert in VCTF. until there is one, many will stay out of this gametype.

keep up doing this good strategy as you want. but dont be surprised if other people dont like it or if VCTF dont grow. because few people are ruining it and think they are doing well thought strategy well in fact its just sitting with a big vehicle.
          I don't see how you can apply the ethics of--of all things--Last Man Standing to vCTF. Square peg, round hole.

On Suspense, you occassionally see someone try to use the flak cannon to shoot from one sniper point to the other. That isn't merely a bad tactic, it crosses the threshold of certifiable stupidity. Shuttling the tank around (or charging it down the bridge) may seem like a sporting way to commit suicide to you, but to me it just flirts with that same threshold.

Comment

Camping and having vehicals on/next to flag are different things, in vCTF, camping is defence and defence is apart of stratergy, and so is viable, camping on say a DM on the otherhand is not stratergy, that is just being cheap.

Having a Vehical on the flag would no doubt break the flag.. it's the fact is seals off actually making play possible. I am currently working on ways around this for one of my maps, so that vehicals will not be able to get into the player spawn and unable to sit on flag.

Having checked the Editor, there are Tank(Goliath) and Levithan blocks, but there are no blocks for vehicals that do not also apply to normal people. I can not really see an easy way to make it so that people can block all vehicals from staying on the flag/in flag room =/.

Comment

I love ALL the maps. Cant find any flaws as of yet.
              (need my own server)
              Pitfalls on most maps can be a good Sniper, Avril user stopping
              most of your advances...

Man UT3 is THE GREATEST game EVER!!!
              Sorry for not adding anything all to informative
              or helpful to your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by r3sistance View Post
                ...I can not really see an easy way to make it so that people can block all vehicals from staying on the flag/in flag room =/.
                Place a BlockingVolume and open its properties. Go to Collision->CollisionComponent->RBCollideWithChannels and tick what physics things you want to block (Vehicle in this case). You will probably have to fiddle with other collision settings to make it not block anything else, or maybe start with a Tank/LeviathanBlockingVolume instead, which already have the required collision for everything else set.

Comment

The flag itself should block vehicles (or push 'em back). That'd solve that problem. Perhaps someone can write a mutator that places some sort of volume over the flag whenever it is dropped to push/keep away vehicles.

Other than that... my opinion on VCTF is that it went from "fixed" to "broken". The game devolved into "vehicle deathmatch with two guys on foot grabbing powerups". Occasionally, one of the guys on foot will decide he has enough powerups and will then run off to be slaughtered by the heavy vehicle defenses. Despite their great terrain, Epic's maps are fairly boring with bots. Wheeled and tracked vehicles should be able to transport the flag. Bots should have a clue about backing up the flag runner.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                    Wheeled and tracked vehicles should be able to transport the flag. Bots should have a clue about backing up the flag runner.
                    I'm currently working on a small vctf map that does exactly that, although I'm reserving judgement on the Goli at the mo', simply because of the small size of the map.

Dunno how bot AI will respond yet though - all the code already exists to allow ground vehicles to carry it, and bots certainly know that they can whip out the Hoverboard, but whether or not a fleeing bot knows it can hop into a friendly vehicle remains to be seen.

Comment

come pug with us @ #ut3ctf in irc.gameradius.com
                      if you want to improve

Comment

Working...
                      X