Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic download of a Mod Idea?

Purpose of Topic:

Kindly Requesting Epic to perhaps consider making a patch that would let users automatically download and install the maps that are considered complete for ps3/pc users. This would relinquish people from being kicked out of servers when a map rotates to a new map that a user does not have installed. There variable also could lead to more sales, and advertisement revenues and let people know of how great the community/game acutally is.

Possible Variables to Consider:

1) People beta testing a map:
    This variable would primarily happen to people browsing on the PC version with the said option above. Perhaps to combat this from happening, besides hopefully "BETA TEST" being in the server title, would be a pop up notifying the user that the map is not final. Followed by " Do you wish to continue to join the "server title" Server?"

2) Where would the map get uploaded from:
    Possibly a place on Unrealtournament3.com that could be reserved for actual final version of maps. This url would need to be separated from PC and PS3 users and the mods/maps/mutators/etc would be selected by forum moderators.

3) Possible Epic endorsed "sign of approval" map pack
    This directly ties to the variable above, with moderators deciding final maps based on author submissions/approval and content.

4) Users without map getting redirected to a possible site URL in game to actually download the map:
    Unrealtournament3.com, a gamespy section, etc like stated above. This variable seems like the cheapest, and best method to attract people to your main site. More hits, better advertisement rates. Primarily for the PC version. EDIT: Feature is implemented but only works half the time.

5) Epic possibly releasing Map packs on the Playstation network store:
    This idea might actually get more PS3 users to purchase the game and get more people interested in Mods/UeD. This in turn could have people not only able to buy the Ps3 version, but the PC version to create mods. Great way to advertize the game for free. Perhaps create a short collage of mods/ideas from the various authors to further the effect. This variable/option actually seems like the best idea from a business standpoint in regards to the PS3 version.

Author Note: [color="Lime"]Thanks for the great game, and making me come back to unreal in which I went straight console playing after Unreal '03. Thanks for the option for Modders as well for the great content on the PC and PS3. This topic was not only for EPIC but for Modders to get their content out to more people.

Originally posted by Omegasyde View Post
    Purpose of Topic:

4) Users without map getting redirected to a possible site URL in game to actually download the map:
    Unrealtournament3.com, a gamespy section, etc like stated above. This variable seems like the cheapest, and best method to attract people to your main site. More hits, better advertisement rates. Primarily for the PC version.
    Heh... It's already implemented... it just doesn't work lol... wait for epic to fix it... Instead of UT3.com or alike... It's up to server admin to set up their distribution server...

Comment

That never happened to me whenever I tried to connect via the browser, I just got the error message.

Comment

Try reconnecting to the server. When I do that, the map starts downloading. I agree with you that it's an annoying bug and a huge eyesore that desperately needs to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
          Try reconnecting to the server. When I do that, the map starts downloading. I agree with you that it's an annoying bug and a huge eyesore that desperately needs to be fixed.
          It doesn't work for me on the PS3 or the PC.

The probaly is that in PS3 community people have no idea that you can download mods! Since there is barely any coomuncation because of Mic's not working properly people just go to stock maps automatically.

In the PC servers MOST people play on servers with mods lol
          PS3 Lobby, its the opposite.

Comment

Also Midway/Epic need to hook up with the people in charge of the PSN store, Grace Chen primarily and have some mods published through the PSN store on Thursdays. Like I stated above alot of people would purchase the game for the shear replayablity that UT3 offers.

Most Ps3 are ignorant and are still playing COD4 (same with PC ehh . The next logical step for fans of shooters would be either Haze (not out yet) and Ut3. W-t-f...yet there isn't I know lots of people who dig the FPS action and for some reason do not know about UT3 or its features. Man, are they missing out!

Comment

Guys,

This is a known issue in patch 1.1v

You get a INVALID URL error.

(for now, just disconnect from your server and reconnect, it will start downloading, as it should!)

BUG, BUG, BUG.

Should be corrected in patch 1.2v (with other things such as history tab etc)

Comment

Originally posted by smook View Post
                Guys,

This is a known issue in patch 1.1v

You get a INVALID URL error.

(for now, just disconnect from your server and reconnect, it will start downloading, as it should!)

BUG, BUG, BUG.

Should be corrected in patch 1.2v (with other things such as history tab etc)
                O ok too bad there is no option for the PS3 version still. I will reinstall unreal tournament for the PC and trying reinstalling patch.

Comment

please patch

The PS3 version doesnt have automatic downloads.
                  We need people to relize how much of a great value is in UT3 PS3.
                  But people dont know that you can get mods.

We need an automatic uploading patch from say:

The server gives the map to the first person that enters.
                  the second person etc gets the map from the player (s) that previously entered and have already downloaded the map.

Im very confident that this would raise sales, and make the game better because more people would be exploring an infinite amount of content.

Comment

Originally posted by FierceLegend View Post
                    The PS3 version doesnt have automatic downloads.
                    We need people to relize how much of a great value is in UT3 PS3.
                    But people dont know that you can get mods.

We need an automatic uploading patch from say:

The server gives the map to the first person that enters.
                    the second person etc gets the map from the player (s) that previously entered and have already downloaded the map.

Im very confident that this would raise sales, and make the game better because more people would be exploring an infinite amount of content.

I agree therefore I bump. Epic has good PR but hasn't been adressing this issue.

Comment

The playstation store has much more exposure than Epics website, so I agree to that getting some content in their for download would really add to their marketing. I hope to see that soon before more big titles are released.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold_Killer View Post
                        The playstation store has much more exposure than Epics website, so I agree to that getting some content in their for download would really add to their marketing. I hope to see that soon before more big titles are released.
                        And supposingly Sony has stated that add-on content could be posted to the store without testing approval.

Since the maps will be free, I don't Sony would even think twice before posting them. It is a shame that the people in charge of the PS store are so darn incompetent.

Epic would easiliy squeeze out another 100k of the game with the PSN store. All of PSN friends on my friends list are looking for another game besides Call of Duty 4.

Comment

Also Next shooter on PS3 besides Turok won't be until the summer. UT3 has atleast 5 months on the PS3 without any other competition. As long as the Mod makers are cranking out new content, the game will stay fresh.

Bungie is doing the same thing with Halo 3 and I believe that game will stay on its feet for atleast 2 years before a whole new Halo.

Comment

I don't think it's as simple as "Sony should put the maps on the PS Store."

People from Epic and people from Sony would then have to work on that whole process, costing man-hours to both companies. Where is that money going to come from? Who's paying for the bandwidth to host the files? What happens when something unforeseen goes wrong with a mod file and a large number of people blow up Sony's phone lines with angry calls? The process now is free to both Epic and Sony, and they can always fall back on "Hey, there is a small risk with mods." If it's officially on the store and something goes wrong then someone is liable.

I would really like that option to happen as much as anyone else, but the way it's set up right now is likely the way it'll stay. Maybe FierceLegend's idea or something similar could be implemented though.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinchy View Post
                              I don't think it's as simple as "Sony should put the maps on the PS Store."

People from Epic and people from Sony would then have to work on that whole process, costing man-hours to both companies. Where is that money going to come from? Who's paying for the bandwidth to host the files? What happens when something unforeseen goes wrong with a mod file and a large number of people blow up Sony's phone lines with angry calls? The process now is free to both Epic and Sony, and they can always fall back on "Hey, there is a small risk with mods." If it's officially on the store and something goes wrong then someone is liable.

I would really like that option to happen as much as anyone else, but the way it's set up right now is likely the way it'll stay. Maybe FierceLegend's idea or something similar could be implemented though.
                              Like how EPIC asked volunteers before to test out their PC server why not do the same with the Mods?

And I believe testing 3-5 maps out a week would be ideal. As far as liability comes, it would be the mod testers who would report feedback. If there is a system crashing mod, There is always the option to deinstall it and delete it on the PS3. There have been times of demo's crashing PS3's and Sony immediately taking down the content once they got word of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X