Unreal Editor requirements (more ram?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Editor requirements (more ram?)

I find it strange that UEd takes more time to start than windows itself. Is this because I need 1 more gig if ram?
    UT3 doesn´t seem to have many problems, just some hitches to load stuff, but only on big warfare maps.

Also, do you think that UEd needs a better CPU than UT3 or anything?

More RAM is always good.

If you can play the game...you can make Mods/Maps.

Comment

Post your system specs.
      Keep in mind the editor loads the editor and the game content in the background, so you can play/test your levels without having to load UT3. I think you can map with the minimum specs. But building lighting for a level can be pretty time consuming on a slow pc.

Comment

I remember the game redfaction ..it took basically like 5 seconds to load the game and be playing..but the editor took about 5 minutes to load...

I think its just all the content that needs to load which takes it so long to load not your ram or cpu....more cpu would help but if you didn't have enough ram..it wouldn't run at all

Comment

Originally posted by _MsK_ View Post
          I find it strange that UEd takes more time to start than windows itself. Is this because I need 1 more gig if ram?
          The game/editor uses the .NET framework. Interpreted code is always slower than native code. Also, an OS doesn't need to do what the game engine does.

As for ram...the more the better. I've had the editor using 1.8 gigs of physical ram and paging out just as much (sometimes more) to the swap file.

Comment

So the editor is slow to open because it opens all that stuff like game engine and everything I see in the generic browser when I open it...

Originally posted by Gorge View Post
            Post your system specs.
            I´m running a P4 640 3.2, 1Gb DDR2 533 and a 7600gt. I guess I could use a better CPU, at least for UT3, but I heard the editor only uses one core anyway... I think that what´s really affecting the loading time is the RAM.

Originally posted by Gorge View Post
            But building lighting for a level can be pretty time consuming on a slow pc.
            Yes, quite a bit. Also I noticed that additive levels are much faster to build lighting than subtractive levels. I wonder why is that...

Comment

Originally posted by MrCobra View Post
              The game/editor uses the .NET framework. Interpreted code is always slower than native code. Also, an OS doesn't need to do what the game engine does.

Ah, I learned back in the Demo phase that not only you want to update your graphics driver but the .NetFramework as well....Now this explains why it was important.

Comment

Unreal Editor is using on average 1Gb of memory. (also depends which map u are editing..)
                So i would recommend a 2Gb system as a minimum.

Comment

This should have been posted or moved to the level editing forum but anyway...

Originally posted by _MsK_ View Post
                  I heard the editor only uses one core anyway... I think that what´s really affecting the loading time is the RAM.
                  It uses all 4 cores on my system. But i use task assign from toms hardware to give it 3 and devote the last core to other apps that i use during the map design process. Overall though the editor opens pretty quick on my system.

Also I noticed that additive levels are much faster to build lighting than subtractive levels. I wonder why is that...
                  That is because in a subtractive world, it is performing some calculations from the boundry of your map all the way out to the far edges of the grid, where your oversized additive cube is. Simple solution, redice the oversized defualt additive cube to be just a little bigger then your map play area. You will go from 30+ secs of build time to 5.

Comment

My Editor use around 700MB on load and upto 1.2GB when editing maps.
                    1Gb is just not enough, heck 2GB is not enough for this editor, considering the rest of windows is in there as well.

Comment

More RAM is always better, but only up to a point. Your OS determines how much RAM can be addressed by your system, go over that limit, and the additional RAM is ignored. And don't forget that your video RAM eats up some address space too.

A faster processor is 'usually' the preferred option.

Comment

Working...
                      X