calling all video card experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    "or wait for the 9800 nvidia comes out in Feb. 08 and hope it drives down the 8800 prices."

this is a good idea!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Done with EPIC

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by member View Post
    And I was gonna say earlier "I wish I had a dollar for every time a responder just totally ignored everything the original poster said" but I thought if I came across sounding hostile people might think I was an *******. Really it was partly my fault I didn't give a dollar amount, more expensive could've meant $125 or $250 when talking about that card.
    If you are really worried about price, that EVGA SSC 8600GT the other poster linked to would be good. You'll be happy with the value you get for your money. If money is tight, you'd probably be happy with that MSI I listed, too. It's even cheaper than that EVGA before and after rebate.

And yep. I live just outside of Eastown. Go GR!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by stalepriest View Post
    Thats nuts, what cpu do you have? I have 1950pro 512mb and get 30-40 fps at 1440x900 at 3-4 for Textures/world detail.

I find the user made maps run 100% better than the game maps though easily 20fps better.
    LOL.

Are we comparing notes in the epic ATI x1950 win? Orm are you calling BS on this one?

Either way, I have a dual core 2.66 intel chip, and also 2 gigs of ram.

I advise you look at the unreal tweaker that Brad G has produced. Good stuff.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...hlight=tweaker

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by crossfireUT3 View Post
    also, i hope you are aware of your power supply because you could run into a much bigger problem than what card you are going to get if you don't have enough power for the card
    8600's are pretty low-power (40-50W as I recall). The GT doesn't even have the extra power connector. Shouldn't be a problem for any PSU.

EDIT: Oooo, 555 posts. I suppose I'll have to aim for 741 posts next.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    also, i hope you are aware of your power supply because you could run into a much bigger problem than what card you are going to get if you don't have enough power for the card

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
    words
    Dude I live in the same town as you. Actually I'm in Kentwood but it's cool to see someone from GR on a forum I don't think I ever have before.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Làámßø View Post
    It's funny how ppl just don't pay attention!

I feel your pain Bro!
    And I was gonna say earlier "I wish I had a dollar for every time a responder just totally ignored everything the original poster said" but I thought if I came across sounding hostile people might think I was an *******. Really it was partly my fault I didn't give a dollar amount, more expensive could've meant $125 or $250 when talking about that card.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can't believe some people in this thread are even seriously considering 8600GT or GTS when the budget of the original poster is 200$.

This test says it all: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=8

Avoid 8600 series. Get HD3850. It's way under 200$.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    just get dual sli 512mb video cards youl be fine...but 700$ in the hole :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by member View Post
    Hey everyone.

p.s. please don't recommend a more expensive card unless you want to send the money for it , it's not within the budget.
    It's funny how ppl just don't pay attention!

I feel your pain Bro!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here are my votes;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130311

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150229

Unless your going to watch HDTV then go with a 512 mb cards.

Go, Go, Go!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don't some of the 8600GTs come with GDDR2 memory? (if that is the case, stay away from it and go GDDR3).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Go with the 8600GTS over the 8600GT. I've had experience with an Asus reference design 8600GTS with 256mb (no factory OC--it's in my son's computer) and the MSI 8600GT OC edition 256 (we put one in my nephew's computer after testing it in my son's computer) with UT3. The 8600GTS reference easily beats the 8600GT OC. Stays mostly in the high/mid 40's/low 50's FPS at 1400x1050 with 4/4 world/texture settings on an AMD 4200+. Also, the 512MB boards for the 8600 series will give you little--if any--performance gains. See my previous post about the 8800GT 256MB vs 512MB where, even with those better cards, performance tests are showing that at only very high resolutions is the 512MB helping out. It's a marketing ploy--so many people always think that more RAM is better. GPU and memory clock speeds are more important.

Of course, as the other posters are pointing out, the 8800GT 256MB (I have the EVGA--see my sig) clearly is much better than the 8600 series. However, what people fail to tell you is that you need a much, much better PSU to run the 8800GT over the 8600GTS series. That can significantly add to your cost. If you don't have at least a solid 450w (500w or more is better) with high 12v rail amps, the 8800GT will cost you $220 + $70-$80 (or more) for a new PSU.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by !T0rtuga! View Post
    The 8600, while DX10 capable, is not a heavy hitter. There was an earlier poster who mentioned that the higher end 7- series is significantly faster.

I am currently running a x1950pro 256 mb. I run the game at maximum graphics and have at least 30 fps the entire time. What's more, I usually play against 31 bots, even in the smaller levels. No slow down.

The card I have right this second can be picked up for around 140$ at newegg.com

DON'T limit your selction!
    Thats nuts, what cpu do you have? I have 1950pro 512mb and get 30-40 fps at 1440x900 at 3-4 for Textures/world detail.

I find the user made maps run 100% better than the game maps though easily 20fps better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X