Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What mods are allowed on the PS3.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What mods are allowed on the PS3.

    I would like to ask Mr.Mark or someone from the Epic team,is there a creativity limit on the PS3? Example creating a Halo map or a model likeness character from another game?

    I ask this because I keep reading certain mod makers bringing up this(how they cant do it),how it is illegal? When its a free content that has no money profit to the mod maker nor is it the original game engine being ported.

    #2
    If you mean what limit there is in terms of what you can base your creation off of, again like master chief, it will be based on whether that company, say bungie, says it's ok or not. Evidence? There was a team working on a total conversion for ut2004 that was a complete overhaul to turn it into halo 1&2 combined. No lawsuit was filed, they were even mention on the bungie forums. Though like any company, you need to make sure it's ok to do this, otherwise either they are gonna order a shut down of the project or your gonna just keep worrying about if they find out or not.

    Comment


      #3
      It should be legal, as it's not being sold for profits, but companies have used their reserved rights before to shut down open source projects in the past. I agree that you should check with the respective copyright holders before you do anything.

      Comment


        #4
        what is allowed on the ps3 is allowed on the pc and vice versa.

        Comment


          #5
          Ok I see,so it all depends on wether the mod maker to ask permission from what ever company it is...even if its a free content.

          Well I hope certain mod makers ask ( not just say they cant do it ) so that they get the green light and spread there work to the PS3 users as well.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by DanB91 View Post
            what is allowed on the ps3 is allowed on the pc and vice versa.
            This is what I thought....as well.

            EDIT-But I want someone from Epic to answer this as well to clear the air.

            Comment


              #7
              I think there are going to be limits to what the PS3 will be able to run. Like how all the moving trees on CTF-Bunker slow the PS3 down. CTF-Atlantea, which is stunning in it's visual quality won't even seem to start up. I think it's a RAM issue and the problem with Atlantea, that it's just too much visual stuff going on, like bunkers trees times 3. Epic, when making the PS3 part of the editor, should have made it so it makes stuff in mods that would use RAM on a PC, run using the cell processor on PS3, which would handle it better than the PS3's limited ram. That is what the Cell is for, to not have to rely on RAM. All processes are done immediatly. But that would probably be really complicated.

              Or is the problem that it's just such a big file? 79Mb in Atlantea's case. If it's the file size, then that will put alot of limits on the PS3 mods. I really want WAR-DAWN, but file size wise, it makes Atlantea looks small. Could someone from Epic put their 2 cents in on this?

              I would like to also request that Epic take a crack at cooking Atlantea for PS3, just to test what the limits are on PS3. Even not to release it out, but just to see if it's possible to run these intricate maps on PS3.

              Comment


                #8
                They aren't going to tell you because they are a games company, not a law firm.

                But as I said in the previous threads: The legality matters not in the slightest; if a large corporation decides that they don't like what you're doing, you're going to have a hard time affording the lawyers needed to defend yourself in court. You may end up being vindicated, but it will be a pyrrhic victory. Are they likely to go after you over a remade map? Probably not, but if you want to find out for sure, why don't you try it and report back to us? Just stop bugging modders about it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
                  They aren't going to tell you because they are a games company, not a law firm.

                  But as I said in the previous threads: The legality matters not in the slightest; if a large corporation decides that they don't like what you're doing, you're going to have a hard time affording the lawyers needed to defend yourself in court. You may end up being vindicated, but it will be a pyrrhic victory. Are they likely to go after you over a remade map? Probably not, but if you want to find out for sure, why don't you try it and report back to us? Just stop bugging modders about it.
                  Why would Epic not know just because they are a game company? I dont get what you are saying?

                  And this isnt about "bugging modders about it" as you would put it...this is a thread to let modders who "are" interested in creating maps for the PS3 but want to recreate maps from other games and use it in UT3.

                  Dont get silly now....

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Omega-Dragun View Post
                    Why would Epic not know just because they are a game company? I dont get what you are saying?..
                    If they say x is ok then someone does x and is sued for it, someone is going to be unhappy with them. If they say x is not ok, suddenly a whole bunch of mods are going to be in an uncomfortable position.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
                      If they say x is ok then someone does x and is sued for it, someone is going to be unhappy with them. If they say x is not ok, suddenly a whole bunch of mods are going to be in an uncomfortable position.
                      Ok I see what you mean now,but that is kind of messed up to say so and some will pay the price for it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        i hope a mod comes and clears this up so i can taste bret harts sweet map nectar

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X