UWindow 2 Development Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thank you for doing this, most of us our sick of the new UI.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    keep up your great and enthusiastic work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    GL on your project. there are many following this one I can believe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sweet! Uwindows is coming along nicely

Good job Snake

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have no idea what your talking about.. But i see "UWindows" "in developement"..so GOOD LUCK dude !! Definately VERY impressive how much could be done so quickely .. (even though i dont know wtf your talking about lmfao)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice job, I didn't expect this much could be done so quickly. But hey, it's you

Leave a comment:

• started a topic UWindow 2 Development Blog

UWindow 2 Development Blog

Project Log - 05/01/08
    Ok. I've stepped out of prototype and started some actual development on this. What currently is operational:
    • Layering system (Maintains the stack to render)
    • Propagation of input devices (mouse, keyboard)
    • Movable and resizeable windows
    • Mouse cursor styles
    • Background

Project Log - 07/01/08
    What did I get done today
    • Wrote the bounds system. This system detects the mouse and what is underneath it. For example a window has on minimum 9 bounds. A title bar, the left / top / right / bottom / top left / top right / bottom left / bottom right bounds. When the mouse is above these bounds, the bounds then set new delegate functions. These delegates are controlled by the window [also a component] (allowing for extended functionality by other people), in this case it changes the mouse cursor to their appropriate looks. When an input is made, the bounds can also respond to the input. For the window, clicking and holding allows you to adjust the size of the windows.
    • Allowed components to be moved offscreen. The first iteration did not allow components to be drawn off the screen or partially off the screen. They are able to now, all component's children are locked within the rendering bounds of their parent component. Todo:: Add user adjustable bounds to lock certain components from leaving the screen.
    • Added minimum / maximum rendering width & height for components. All components can be resized and I added a user setting which sets to what extent that can be resized too. Bug:: Occasionally, it seems that the components can 'jitter' a little bit when clicked upon. Not a serious bug, but it should be cleaned up for polish.

That's about it. The bounds system above was what consumed most of my time tonight, as I really needed to think that through. It works well and its really fast, and if I say so, it is a rather elegant solution methinks

Project Log - 09/01/08
    • Wrote more of the UW_Component_Image class. Now supports rendering of materials as well, thus you can also use shaders within UWindow2. I don't believe you can use distortion and some other effects since they depend on the z rendering (which UWindow2 doesn't have) and maybe some other bits and pieces. Not 100% sure, but otherwise what you see in the editor is what you usually get in UWindow2. Drawing materials is faster than drawing textures it seems.
    • Wrote UW_Component_Label. This class allows you to render labels on the screen, and is used in such places such as the window title bar. Also wrote a Canvas independent method for measuring the size of text on the screen.
    • Found a way to increase FPS roughly 300%. If you see in the screenshot below, my FPS is well above the 400fps mark now, which is fantastic.
    • Cleaned up some code, and wrote a delegate system for rendering components. This will allow people to further customize UWindow2 to what they need.

I added in the main menu bar, and the footer bar just for looks at the moment and they are not functional. They should be functional sometime soon, as theres quite a bit of work involved to do all of that (since I have to make drop down lists etc). Next on the list is some basic widgets like buttons, check boxes, various input types and so forth. Enjoy the screenshot.

Working...
X