No announcement yet.

UWindow 2 Development Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, this is clientside only and does not change any of the netcode.

Comment

[screenshot]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/SolidSnakeNZ/uWindow15062008.jpg[/screenshot]
      Not much time to go, still got a truck load of work to do.

Comment

[screenshot]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/SolidSnakeNZ/uWindow17062008.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Wow I can't wait for the beta release of this thing, way to go Snake!

Comment

He's been putting up beta versions as he goes along at BeyondUnreal: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showt...=174377&page=9

Comment

[screenshot]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/SolidSnakeNZ/UWindow21062008.jpg[/screenshot]

Changelist
              • Reworked the coordinate system to use a deferred calculation system. Simply put, coordinates are first marked as 'dirty' and when they are required they are then calculated. This helps spread out the load a little bit, instead of trying to calculate thousands of coordinates all at once. Performance increase.
              • Reworked the recursive calculation system to prevent redundant recursive function calling. GUI [Graphical User Interface] work is often hard because of its recursive nature. I refactored this code to make sure that redundant function calls are not made. Performance increase.
              • Added quick dragging function which increases the performance of dragging windows around. Performance increase when dragging windows.
              • Added rendering checks to make sure that components that are outside the parent or are not visible are not rendered. Performance increase.
              • Performance of uWindows2 is now pretty good. For the most part, I am usually well above 100 fps on a modest system [Athlon 64 +4000, 3.5gb Ram DDR2, 8800GTS 320mb]. Performance is only slightly impacted by resizing of windows, and none by dragging windows around.
              • Added proper rendering code to all texture surface types. The rendering code will make sure to render partial if it is obscured slightly by the parent. A good example of this is when you resize the credits window, and the images render appropriately.
              • All windows now have appropriate scroll panels assigned to them. Scroll panels will activate as needed.
              • Colorizer properly affects all rendered textures.
              • Started work on the Player Setup window. Character customization and weapon setup is done through here.
              • Viewport component added. This allows me to render viewports to the screen. Mesh rendering is done in this manner, as shown within the Player Setup window. You can rotate, zoom and move the camera using the mouse.
              • Scrolling within drop down lists works properly.

My viewport component is of great interest to me actually. Paired with everything else, its now possible to create games within uWindows using the viewport to render the world and the action system to provide input. If I have any time left (very doubtful) I may add a simple game.

For those concerned about the background or window/button/panel colors please know that these are user defined, thus you are able to change these if you want to.

Comment

Wow that's very nice looking, shame it doesn't replace the mid game menu. Still Very nice work, looking forward to the release.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                  [screenshot]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/SolidSnakeNZ/UWindow21062008.jpg[/screenshot]

Changelist
                  • Reworked the coordinate system to use a deferred calculation system. Simply put, coordinates are first marked as 'dirty' and when they are required they are then calculated. This helps spread out the load a little bit, instead of trying to calculate thousands of coordinates all at once. Performance increase.
                  • Reworked the recursive calculation system to prevent redundant recursive function calling. GUI [Graphical User Interface] work is often hard because of its recursive nature. I refactored this code to make sure that redundant function calls are not made. Performance increase.
                  • Added quick dragging function which increases the performance of dragging windows around. Performance increase when dragging windows.
                  • Added rendering checks to make sure that components that are outside the parent or are not visible are not rendered. Performance increase.
                  • Performance of uWindows2 is now pretty good. For the most part, I am usually well above 100 fps on a modest system [Athlon 64 +4000, 3.5gb Ram DDR2, 8800GTS 320mb]. Performance is only slightly impacted by resizing of windows, and none by dragging windows around.
                  • Added proper rendering code to all texture surface types. The rendering code will make sure to render partial if it is obscured slightly by the parent. A good example of this is when you resize the credits window, and the images render appropriately.
                  • All windows now have appropriate scroll panels assigned to them. Scroll panels will activate as needed.
                  • Colorizer properly affects all rendered textures.
                  • Started work on the Player Setup window. Character customization and weapon setup is done through here.
                  • Viewport component added. This allows me to render viewports to the screen. Mesh rendering is done in this manner, as shown within the Player Setup window. You can rotate, zoom and move the camera using the mouse.
                  • Scrolling within drop down lists works properly.

My viewport component is of great interest to me actually. Paired with everything else, its now possible to create games within uWindows using the viewport to render the world and the action system to provide input. If I have any time left (very doubtful) I may add a simple game.

For those concerned about the background or window/button/panel colors please know that these are user defined, thus you are able to change these if you want to.

can you provide support for the main background (the unreal tournament 3 background) to be replaced with a matinee? (id like to use it in TO3 )

Comment

(id like to use it in TO3)
                    Sigh, I kept it out of public forums, but since you keep saying this. For now, uWindows2 is only designed for Unreal Tournament 3 at this stage. I will not be supporting any mods at this stage, including Tactical Ops 3.

Comment

Keep up the good work!
                      UWindows2 it's awesome
                      everyone will use it

Comment

You bet your sweet bippy!

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                          Sigh, I kept it out of public forums, but since you keep saying this. For now, uWindows2 is only designed for Unreal Tournament 3 at this stage. I will not be supporting any mods at this stage, including Tactical Ops 3.
                          Ok. wish you said that in the private messages

also check the beyond unreal replies, you will see the TO3 were innocent.

Comment

#1 - What happened on BeyondUnreal forums did not influence my decision
                            #2 - You asked me via PM on 02-25-2008, you replied back on 05-26-2008 again asking. Is no not in your vocabulary?

Comment

ok solid, your menu system looks great.

glad to see someone is recreating the original ut99 menu feel.
                              good luck with the menu, hope it gets introduced into some great games.

Comment

UWindow2 build 260608 has now been released to the public. A webpage, with links to downloads can be found here.

[screenshot]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/SolidSnakeNZ/UWindow226062008.jpg[/screenshot]

What's in this build?
                                • Complete Preferences window. This window will allow you to adjust most of the basic settings found within Unreal Tournament 3. Future builds may allow you to tweak more settings.
                                • Complete Character Customization tab. This window will allow to create your own character.
                                • Semi complete Weapon tab. This window will allow you to tweak various weapon settings. The weapon priority list will be completed in a future build.
                                • Complete colorizer window. This window allows you to tweak how UWindow2 colors the windows, panels and buttons.
                                • Complete Unreal Tournament 3 credits. This window allows you to view the Epic team who created Unreal Tournament 3.
                                • Complete Practise Session window. This window allows you to start a practice session with bots. Custom game types, maps and mutators are supported. More options will be completed in a future build.
                                • Semi complete Profile window. This window allows you to log on to your online profile. Offline profile, and logging out will be added in future (You are automatically logged out when you quit Unreal Tournament 3)
                                • Semi complete CD Key window. This window allows you to enter your CD Key to validate Unreal Tournament 3 for online play.
                                • Complete Digital Confectioners window. This window allows you to see the team members of Digital Confectioners, who created UWindow2.
                                • Semi complete Server Browser. This window allows you to search for online games and join them.
                                • Complete system console window. This window allows you to use the console.
                                • Complete Direct Connect window. If you know the IP address and password of a server, you can use this to connect directly to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X