UWindow 2 Development Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
    You can change the front end to this via the ini, so yes, it will work. I was able to override the UI with my own less than a week after getting the game.. it's not that hard. The tricky part will be dealing with security, but I suspect that this will become so widely used that anticheats will be forced to allow it. I know I'll be using it. (y)

and just so you know, this guy's not exactly an amateur.
    By the verbiage of his post, he didn't sound like it.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words! I am having a lot of fun developing this project, so it is good to see that so many people will like it when I have something to show people.

But will it even work? Can we replace the GUI with it (actually integrate this into the game)?
      Yes. The screenshots that you are seeing are within Unreal Tournament 3, so it is already working right now.

Or will it just be a front end which can start UT3 with a command line?
      It was important that this wasn't a seperate application otherwise it complicates the procedure as well as breaking the whole point of the project

The tricky part will be dealing with security, but I suspect that this will become so widely used that anticheats will be forced to allow it.
      Yes. I'm not 100% sure how this will be handled just yet, but I'm not sure how UT3 even checks for foreign packages since everything seems to be stored within Published. In any case, it is still an intriguing project for me.

For those who do actually like a game interface vs a desktop work interface, I will also try to make it customizable enough to allow you to use it as a game interface instead. Either that, or allow you to switch between two different interfaces, using the same system, but different looks and operation.

Comment

Oh wow, if this all comes together this will be sweet-as. I really miss the whole Uwindows thing.

Good luck on the development

(P.s. Just a quick thought, have you thought about incorporating Brad.G's tweak program to give people the level of control they want from the UI instead of having different packages to do it.)

Comment

If you're gonna offer 2 themes I'd advise making at least one of them have a little larger bars, the size you have now is obviously based on UT's, which I think was suitable for its time, but keeping in mind the average resolution these days is much higher, it makes things a little more cumbersome when you're trying to click menus or grab the title bar.

Comment

**** SS... that looks awesome. Keep up the good work dude... You're going to be a rock star someday soon!

Comment

Very awesome indeed. I think if this thread starts to get an overwhelming response that epic might start to feel a little stupid for how they went about it this time. This might indeed trigger a slight attitude change to get epic thinking along the same lines that the gamers are thinking. As it stands right now, what they thought we were thinking wasn't actually what we were thinking :P. It really comes down to an attitude, you can't make the game right if you're thinking "Oh lets make the menu simple for console players", and expect it to work on a PC. Which is where it started to go wrong, then the gameplay followed. Hell, I haven't played in weeks, I just couldn't be bothered as the weapon switch is so slow it feels like I'm playing as a character with downs syndrome, and my favourite guns (well mostly the sniper rifle) have some gay lag or delay happening online that I can't hit anything.

I'm not about to ruin my aim for ever other game I've ever played just for the sake of leading again, ala UT99. Leading is to compensate for a bad netcode. Doing this on purpose is just bad programming.

They took alot of the wrong things from UT99 and left alot of the right things alone..

Like I said, its an attitude thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Lawsy View Post
                ...I think if this thread starts to get an overwhelming response that epic might start to feel a little stupid for how they went about it this time...
                There were constantly threads requesting UWindows for UT2003 and UT2004 after they were released, but it made no difference.

Comment

I'll install this as soon as it's available, long live UWindows!

Comment

For people who don't know what a UWindow is:

http://www.to-center.net/index.php?o...111&Itemid=152

Comment

There were constantly threads requesting UWindows for UT2003 and UT2004 after they were released, but it made no difference.
                      I did wind up making UWindow for UT2004 as well, but I never released it.

I think the major problem stems from the fact that Unreal Tournament is supposed to be a PC game. After all, we are Epic's bread and butter. Being presented with a graphically nice menu system that looks and feels like a console breaks that vision. Thus us, PC players are obviously a bit disenchanted with that.

UWindow2 is here to help bring back that vision back.

I understand that not everyone will like UWindow and its initial theme and look, but I want to make that customizable for people and for modders. Hopefully we may see people making UI skins to get UT3 to look like what they want. I could attempt to make some sort of easy to use config editor (a seperate application [I'm also a C++ programmer ]) for people.

But at the moment, getting this GUI to work is probably the most important task. While things are moving along, there is still more work to do.

Comment

Woohoo!

I cant wait to try it out. I have no idea why epic used this UI, I could understand if we were able to play it across platforms, PC users vs PS3 users etc. But when the games are completely seperate, shouldn't the UI's be kinda.... Completely different?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
                          A lot of things (blatant bugs) were requested for UT3 to be fixed before release and they [Epic] didn't listen. I don't see why people continue to make "wish lists" and post in official feedback forums when everyone knows that it won't mean squat.

Originally posted by c0nting3ncy View Post
                          I cant wait to try it out. I have no idea why epic used this UI, I could understand if we were able to play it across platforms, PC users vs PS3 users etc. But when the games are completely seperate, shouldn't the UI's be kinda.... Completely different?
                          One would think so.

The UI as it stands wouldn't be so bad if it allowed more customization of the settings. People shouldn't have to hand modify .ini files to change what should be changable from within the game itself.

@OP: Nice work. Glad to see the community picking up the slack.

Comment

It's coming along nicely Snake. I do have a couple of questions that are of low importance.

1. Will we be able to import our own backgrounds, or will they be locked in the available themes?

2. Will the background be a set texture that resizes (read that, stretches) with your game/desktop settings?

Comment

1. Will we be able to import our own backgrounds, or will they be locked in the available themes?
                              I have been thinking how to do that properly. The problem comes from the fact that there is no 'casual' way of making this an easy thing to do. Unreal Engine isn't designed to be an OS for example, so it doesn't have capabilities to allow you to search for resources and so forth. Remember that Unreal Editor is a different application so they have built those sorts of things. I'm pondering how to do it so people can just plug n' play.

2. Will the background be a set texture that resizes (read that, stretches) with your game/desktop settings?
                              Yes. That image is actually 1024 X 1024 (empty space at the bottom, so that actual image is 1024 X 768). My resolution is 1280 X 1024. UWindow2 is based on a relative measurement system, where values are between 0.f and 1.f (.f indicates a float value with 6 decimal places). 0.f = 0 and 1.f = Screen Resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                                I have been thinking how to do that properly. The problem comes from the fact that there is no 'casual' way of making this an easy thing to do. Unreal Engine isn't designed to be an OS for example, so it doesn't have capabilities to allow you to search for resources and so forth. Remember that Unreal Editor is a different application so they have built those sorts of things. I'm pondering how to do it so people can just plug n' play.

Yes. That image is actually 1024 X 1024 (empty space at the bottom, so that actual image is 1024 X 768). My resolution is 1280 X 1024. UWindow2 is based on a relative measurement system, where values are between 0.f and 1.f (.f indicates a float value with 6 decimal places). 0.f = 0 and 1.f = Screen Resolution.
                                Thanks for the info. I only ask because the option was built in, iirc, to change your background in U Windows for UT. Maybe it was a utility, but I remember downloading and installing different themes and backgrounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X