do you know about memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you know about memory?

for all time ive always been happy with the high density cheap and cheerful DDR memory.. im talking about the stuff what costs around £20 for 1 GB..

a friend of mine has generously treated me to two gigs of this

Product Description: Kingston HyperX memory - 1 GB - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR
    Storage Capacity: 1 GB
    Upgrade Type: Generic
    Technology: DDR SDRAM
    Form Factor: DIMM 184-PIN
    Memory Speed: 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
    CAS Latency: CL2.5
    Supply Voltage: 2.6 V
    Lead Plating: Gold

so not only will i be going from 1 GB to 2 GB, im curious to know if these figures above will also make a hell of a difference to how it performs, compared to the cheap old ram i usually get?

from googling it, apparently the lower the CAS the better.. with the ideal being 2 .. but apparently its ok to have a CAS of 2.5 or 3 if the MHZ is high enough.

just after your opinion if youve had experiance with ram

Expensive memory with low timings gives about a 5% increase in performance over cheap memory. The frequency has a little bigger impact on performance, but in games such as UT3 it's still small, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between DDR2-800 and DDR2-1066 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tqz View Post
      Expensive memory with low timings gives about a 5% increase in performance over cheap memory. The frequency has a little bigger impact on performance, but in games such as UT3 it's still small, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between DDR2-800 and DDR2-1066 etc.
      really?.. i guess it doesnt come as much of a suprise.. but theres a hell of a price difference between them.

still... as long as my pc is smoother with 2GB oppose to 1, that'l do me.

been pushing my luck playing UT3 with 1GB considering i have vista too.

Comment

Indeed, you're almost always better off with more memory instead of faster memory. Another 8GB and you could cache the entire game

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
          Indeed, you're almost always better off with more memory instead of faster memory. Another 8GB and you could cache the entire game
          now theres a thought..... lol

Comment

what exactly are you asking. Lower timings=better. I have something like that thing, only 256MB version and running it at 400Mhz 2.5/3/3/7 ( the last number needs to be 7 or 11, i dont recall why anymore, mb its the sum of the previous values). Im noticing quite a noticeable performance difference if changing those to 3/4/4/x and would rather run with CAS 2, but cant since it doesnt let me. Its overclocked already from 366->400MHz which is a huge performance boost, because it run synchronized with AthlonXP's CPU frequency then.

Comment

heh i even did some tests back in the time. Following are numbers from UT2003 flyby benchmark. 3/5/5/8 memory: 71fps. 2.5/3/3/7 memory: 75fps average fps. The difference between 366Mhz and 400MHz i dont have anymore but it was like 15-20fps more.( mainly due to that synchronizing thing)

Comment

FSB:Memory should be 1:1 for best performance.

if you have an FSB of 266 your memory should be 533mhz ( FSB x2 ).
                If you overclock your PC and use lets say 400 FSB you'll need 800mhz memory.

If you dont overclock you dont need fast memory, it's as simple as that. Only timings matter then.

Comment

The biggest difference will be going from 1 to 2 gigs. It will make everything run smoother.

Comment

cheers guys just got to await the postie n pull his arm off as he comes down the path

Comment

Working...
                    X