Mimic PS3 processing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mimic PS3 processing power

Does anyone know a PC configuation that will run UE3 Levels/mods compareable to PS3? I know PS3 has a cell processor and other different hardware, but I thought someone here might have a PC setup that closely mimics the PS3 hardware.

I imagine a comparable rig would be whatever can run UT3 maxed at 30 FPS. Or perhaps both settings on 4 at 30 FPS. Can't really tell based on videos-- looks like maxed, but differences between higher settings are negligible.

Comment

Here's what you do:

Go into your UTEngine.ini file *(the one in the My Documents folder)* that contains bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE (set it to True if it says false).

Then a little below it there is MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62.000000 (set to 30.000000)

Start up the game and Max out the Screen Resolution, World and Texture setting. (if they are not already)

Start up Instant Action and apply the Slo Mo mutator and there you go. PS3 settings.

*EDIT*

Comment

I think a 386 might be slow enough.

Comment

Originally posted by looprix View Post
          Does anyone know a PC configuation that will run UE3 Levels/mods compareable to PS3?
          Tight budget or something?

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!

No tight budget, just trying to save time from cooking levels to PS3. (lazy)

.Lee

Comment

Unless you get an 8-core cpu, you won't be able to mimic the way the PS3 handles things.

And the framerate is capped at 30 fps. No one knows what the framerate is like uncapped.

Comment

Even with an 8 core cpu, it wouldn't be the same thing. The Cell processor is a new and unique type, similar but distinctly different than a computer's CPU. It's a multimedia processor and it's difficult to code for regular PC tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathmooN View Post
                  Unless you get an 8-core cpu, you won't be able to mimic the way the PS3 handles things.

And the framerate is capped at 30 fps. No one knows what the framerate is like uncapped.
                  You cant compare the architecture in Cell vs the architecture in current PC CPU's, different pros and cons. Let's leave it at there without going deeper into it.

About the framerate, it is capped to 30fps becouse it couldn't mantain a smooth 60fps framerate on all levels/situations (amount of players, stuff going on etc). I suspect they even had a hard time to maintain 30fps and thus enabled motion-blur to make it less noticable when the fps drops down under 30.

In these type of fast-paced games people prefer to have a stable framerate instead of an unstable 30<->60fps framerate. Dont know if the PS3 version has vsync enabled but if then that is another reason to lock to 30fps. This becouse I doubt they would use tripple buffering and thus it would either be solid 60fps or solid 30fps switching cosntantly between these framerates (or less 20fps). That would annoy the players!

Comment

As for the OP's question, a 7900GTX and a dual-core CPU (low-mid end) would be able to run the game at 720p maxed out at 30fps or faster constantly. Throw in a 8800GTS/GT/GTX and the game would run at 60fps at much higher resolutions.

Comment

Working...
                    X